PDA

View Full Version : Polishing headlights with an AIO - will it remove the factory UV coating?

leahcimp
10-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

I want to polish the headlights on my 2008 Lexus RX400h. A little marring, nothing more.
If I polish them with an AIO like Optimum GPS, or even Optimum Hyper Polish, using a MF polishing pad, will it remove the factory UV coating?

I will seal them with Optimum Opti-Seal after hitting it with GPS.
I do not want to disturb/compromise the factory coating.

Thanks,
Michael

Iron400
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

I want to polish the headlights on my 2008 Lexus RX400h. A little marring, nothing more.
If I polish them with an AIO like Optimum GPS, or even Optimum Hyper Polish, using a MF polishing pad, will it remove the factory UV coating?

I will seal them with Optimum Opti-Seal after hitting it with GPS.
I do not want to disturb/compromise the factory coating.

Thanks,
Michael

If the headlights have marring, than if there was any factory coating (not sure), it's been compromised anyway. I don't believe an AIO will be will be aggressive enough to correct headlight marring, probably need 205 or a light polish, then seal with Opti lens coating.

leahcimp
10-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Bump

leahcimp
10-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?:bump2:

mr.fusion
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
AIO/polish will not remove factory coating at all. Even a cutting compound and a wool pad would have a hard time making a dent in it.

pman626
10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Even though you are not removing the coating, you still made it thinner.

polish it enough times and you'll be through the coating

HateSwirls
10-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I've been polishing my headlamps on my 08' RAV since I bought it new,I've polished it many times, either with m205 or PlastX.
I polish the lamps every three months with the PlastX , it must take a lot of polishing to get through the coating being how many times I've done them so far , I use my GG6 with a foam pad.

miltonlin
10-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I wonder if Optimum opti-lens would be product for you. I have used plastx and tried various sealants on headlights after yellowing and it comes back in a few months. On one hand Opti-lens is not cheap, but on the other hand it may save you time from having to polish again.

Pureshine
10-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I would get Opti-lens very easy to use and will protect them for a very long time.

cardaddy
10-15-2013, 11:00 PM
I wonder if Optimum opti-lens would be product for you. I have used plastx and tried various sealants on headlights after yellowing and it comes back in a few months. On one hand Opti-lens is not cheap, but on the other hand it may save you time from having to polish again.

:iagree:

No worries about harming the factory coating with an AIO. I'll hit headlights with Megs 151 or D300, 205 or even Ultimate Polish when going over a vehicle that last time quite often.

Had a little Toyota truck last week that had some nasty chemical drainage looking muck on the tops of both of them. It was a bit cloudy as if some sort of acidic wheel cleaner or something harsh had run down off the hood onto both of them. The owner wasn't paying for headlight correction, just a $85 wash and spray wax as well as bringing all his vinyl/plastic trim back to life. This truck btw has a TON of it with the fender flares, bumpers, and a rollup reinforced soft vinyl tonneau cover.

Just to show him what a quick $100 up charge would feel/look like I hit the style line down the left side of the hood with 151 and a white flat pad, and while I was at it cleaned up his headlights. Both came out great. :)

mr.fusion
10-16-2013, 07:44 AM
If the factory coating is in good condition, no worries. Not every car is the same... I suppose some of the weakest/thinnest coatings (toyota for example) could eventually be removed with a cutting compound, but it would take a ridiculous amount of time and effort. On other makes (GM) I think you could polish for days without doing damage. Even 1500 grit has a tough time putting a dent in it. There is a reason for sanding in the headlight restoration process, where the coating needs removed.

leahcimp
10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
:applause:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, the factory coating hasn't degraded at all, just a little marring like I mentioned.

Your input is appreciated.

Michael