PDA

View Full Version : Audi S4 mirror care?

Legacykid
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Anyone have tips of care, correction, and protecting these aluminum mirrors. I searched but could not find specifics. Should these be treated like paint or cared for differently?

Thanks

SYMAWD
10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Aren't they just silver plastic?

FUNX650
10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Aren't they just silver plastic?
And...Aren't these just mirror "covers"?
If so: Care for them should be on the lines of taking care of: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/36077-chrome-fake-chrome.html

Even more related-threads here:
Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum - Search Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4544995)

:)

Bob

SR99
10-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Pretty sure there are differences across year, option package, and country of delivery. Also possible, if it's not a new car, that the previous owner replaced them, possibly with OEM mirrors of another Audi like the RS4 (e.g. brushed aluminum), or with a cheap e-Bay knock-off that is polished chrome-plated plastic.

If you want a best guess, given all the possible variations I mentioned, treat them like a clear-coated aluminum wheel as far as general maintenance and if you use a particular wheel wax. Otherwise just treat like you do the body panels and whatever cleaners/polishes you use there.

When you say "correction," that's a different story. If you mean it has pits from rock chips and/or scratches that go down to base metal (assuming aluminum), that's quite a process, about on par with refinishing a wheel and you might see if a pro wheel refinisher can help you.

Legacykid
10-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure there are differences across year, option package, and country of delivery. Also possible, if it's not a new car, that the previous owner replaced them, possibly with OEM mirrors of another Audi like the RS4 (e.g. brushed aluminum), or with a cheap e-Bay knock-off that is polished chrome-plated plastic.

If you want a best guess, given all the possible variations I mentioned, treat them like a clear-coated aluminum wheel as far as general maintenance and if you use a particular wheel wax. Otherwise just treat like you do the body panels and whatever cleaners/polishes you use there.

When you say "correction," that's a different story. If you mean it has pits from rock chips and/or scratches that go down to base metal (assuming aluminum), that's quite a process, about on par with refinishing a wheel and you might see if a pro wheel refinisher can help you.

11 S4, yes i believe they are caps, but the dealer washed and scratched them up bad. looks like swirls in paint you would find.