PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - Attempting A Glass Repair Means Risking Damage To The Paint

Kappy
10-08-2013, 04:11 PM
I have a low-mileage, 2012 car that I've only owned for a few months. I've already had the paint corrected and it looks great, except...

Shortly after I got the car I noticed tiny, random spots in the windshield glass, but only when driving. I'd clean the glass, thinking I'd removed the spots, and then I'd see them again a few days later. I thought I had finally managed to get the glass clean because I hadn't seen the spots for several weeks.

Last week I was driving west as the sun was setting, and once again I see spots in my glass. The next morning I happened to go out early and drive east, and the same spots appeared. It was then that I realized that the spots were in the glass itself, and not just the windshield, and are only noticeable when the sun is at a certain angle. If the car is facing away from the sun, at that same time of day, I can see spots in the rear window, and even the side windows and sunroof to some extent.

I took the car to the dealer early this morning, and much to my surprise, the service manager could see exactly what I was talking about. He wasn't sure what they were, but before he considers glass replacement, he wants my car for a day so his detailers can attempt to fix the glass. Uh, oh. I asked him if he was going to have the glass polished, to see if that would have any affect on removing the spots, but he said that would be up to the detailing crew.

I've read enough posts about polishing glass, if in fact that's what they'll attempt, to know that it makes a mess. I asked the service manager what they would do about protecting the paint and washing the car when they were finished, because I didn't want it driven through their auto wash. He said they'd hand wash it. Not really the answer I wanted to hear, as I've learned from this forum, there's hand-washing and correct hand-washing. Not much I could say.

Another option, though not a good one, would be to take the car as is when they're done, and wash it myself. I would assume they'll need to clean the glass to see the results, and whatever was used on the glass will wind up drying on the paint before I'd get to wash it.

If the car wasn't new, and under warranty, I'd probably attempt polishing the glass myself to see if that corrects the problem, or hire someone who has experience to do it. I know there's a good chance I'm going to regret having this done, but I don't see any alternative. I'm hesitating to book an appointment for service.

I tried taking some photos of the spots, but with the sun coming directly into the window, it washes out any details in the glass. It actually looks like the spots aren't even on the surface, but inside the glass, though I don't have any experience with something like this and could be completely wrong. Of course if they're not on the surface, no amount of polishing is going to remove them.

Any suggestions?

zmcgovern45
10-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I would insist they do not touch the paint under any circumstances.

If needed, they can tape off and cover the paint with plastic like they would if they were doing an isolated body repair and only needed to paint a small area. They do not need to make such a mess that your paint is filthy as well.

You need to be persistent. They will tell you time and time again that they won't hurt the paint and they will be careful... don't buy it. Refuse to let them touch the paint, and document the condition of the paint before you drop it off just to be safe.

zmcgovern45
10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/car-paint-preparation-20675175.jpg

you get the idea of what I am talking about in this pic... there is a very thin plastic covering the front of the car and paper covering the areas near the repair... plastic would be my preference and I use it to protect soft tops when I am doing paint correction work on convertibles.

http://cdn.snappages.com/3mzkhs/assets/blog_267633_2080617_1373408924.jpg

Squiigii
10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
What you are seeing is called fabrication debris. The debris is in between the plexiglass and the windshield glass. It will not come out even by polishing. Replacement is an option although you may have same debris in the next one except in different places.

Sent from my Prism II using AG Online

Kappy
10-08-2013, 05:39 PM
I would insist they do not touch the paint under any circumstances.

If needed, they can tape off and cover the paint with plastic like they would if they were doing an isolated body repair and only needed to paint a small area. They do not need to make such a mess that your paint is filthy as well.

You need to be persistent. They will tell you time and time again that they won't hurt the paint and they will be careful... don't buy it. Refuse to let them touch the paint, and document the condition of the paint before you drop it off just to be safe.

Thanks very much for the feedback, and the pictures in your follow-up post.

It would be great if they would take as much care as you do. I can ask them if they'll cover the car, but won't be there to see them work. Or, I can ask them to bring you here and let you do the work. :)

I have some photos of the swirl-free, scratch-free finish in my car, but I hope they're not needed to prove negligence on their part.

Kappy
10-08-2013, 05:46 PM
What you are seeing is called fabrication debris. The debris is in between the plexiglass and the windshield glass. It will not come out even by polishing. Replacement is an option although you may have same debris in the next one except in different places.

I've owned several cars and have never seen spots in the glass in any of them, or noticed spots like that in any other cars that I've been in. How common is it for glass to have the debris, or is that a result of the way the glass is being made for newer cars?

Squiigii
10-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I've owned several cars and have never seen spots in the glass in any of them, or noticed spots like that in any other cars that I've been in. How common is it for glass to have the debris, or is that a result of the way the glass is being made for newer cars?

It's the way the way the glass is made. But not only for vehicles but buildings and homes. It's very common.

Sent from my Prism II using AG Online

StuDLei
07-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Told you I was going to read more of your threads Kappy!

How did you turn out on this deal?

I think I know the spots you're talking about. Remember, I have a Nissan as well. I think the spots are either a result of manufacturing, or that they come from just the wear and tear of driving; from rocks, sand, etc. I think replacing a windshield can be as cheap as a couple hundred bucks, so I would've proposed that as an idea.

Hazcat
07-25-2014, 02:17 AM
You'd be amazed at what can be taken out of glass with the correct equipment. Defects that appear to be dead center, half way through the glass can be removed with the right equipment.

swanicyouth
07-25-2014, 06:28 AM
These defects to me sound like they are "in" the glass - not on it, from your description. If that is the case - polishing will not remove them. Did you buy the car new? Were the spots there from new?

Warranty or not, I would not let these dudes touch my car. So much could get jacked up. They probably don't even have the correct equipment or experience to polish glass - who knows what they will use? They'll probably use a rotary at like a zillion RPMS a minute with a dirty wool pad. They'll probably leave micro marring in the glass. They'll probably sit their rotary on your roof or hood and drag the cord all over your paint.

Glass polishing is next to impossible to get perfect without the right products. To get glass optically perfect so defects won't show up in various lights and angles - you really need the right stuff and some knowledge. I can't see dealer detailers polishing glass as part of their repertoire.

If it was me, I would get some Ceri Glass and a rayon pad and pick one of these spots. Tape it off and try to remove it. If you find it can't be removed - insist on new glass.

Kappy
07-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Told you I was going to read more of your threads Kappy!

How did you turn out on this deal?

I think I know the spots you're talking about. Remember, I have a Nissan as well. I think the spots are either a result of manufacturing, or that they come from just the wear and tear of driving; from rocks, sand, etc. I think replacing a windshield can be as cheap as a couple hundred bucks, so I would've proposed that as an idea.

The dealer did do something to try and remove the spots. I don't know what products they tried but it wasn't much of an improvement.

When I went to pick up the car I was introduced to a new service manager. He asked how I liked the Murano and I told him that I did but I had been having a problem with the glass. He got into the car with me, and as we drove the car out into the lot, the sun hit the windshield and he immediately asked if I wanted it replaced. There was no question that whatever was in, or on, the glass shouldn't have been there. I've had the new windshield for several months and it looks great.

You'd be amazed at what can be taken out of glass with the correct equipment. Defects that appear to be dead center, half way through the glass can be removed with the right equipment.

You're probably right, but this was a newer car and I didn't think that any repair should be necessary.

These defects to me sound like they are "in" the glass - not on it, from your description. If that is the case - polishing will not remove them. Did you buy the car new? Were the spots there from new?

Warranty or not, I would not let these dudes touch my car. So much could get jacked up. They probably don't even have the correct equipment or experience to polish glass - who knows what they will use? They'll probably use a rotary at like a zillion RPMS a minute with a dirty wool pad. They'll probably leave micro marring in the glass. They'll probably sit their rotary on your roof or hood and drag the cord all over your paint.

Glass polishing is next to impossible to get perfect without the right products. To get glass optically perfect so defects won't show up in various lights and angles - you really need the right stuff and some knowledge. I can't see dealer detailers polishing glass as part of their repertoire.

If it was me, I would get some Ceri Glass and a rayon pad and pick one of these spots. Tape it off and try to remove it. If you find it can't be removed - insist on new glass.

I bought the car as new, although it was a year old model and had a few hundred miles on it. It came with full warranty.

They were actually more careful than I had expected and I couldn't see any damage to the paint when they were done. The crew at the dealership tried what they could, which wasn't much, and as a result I wound up with a new windshield.

StuDLei
07-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks for replying Kappy. Glad to hear it worked out for you.