PDA

View Full Version : We all talk about make overs, what about maintenance?

nissenc1337
10-08-2013, 09:26 AM
So, we all talk about restoring major defects and removing one time stains but not much about continual maintenance once the ride is where it needs to be.

This pertains to the weekend warrior especially. What does a good maintenance schedule look like in your opinion?

To me, I like to wash my cars bi-weekly. Which means I will wash once a week this includes wheels/tires/barrels, a wash, spray wax, and instant detailer alongside tire dressing. Interior is vaccumed, leather is wiped down, and surfaces are too. Glass is always cleaned inside and out.

About every 2-3 washes the engine bay and exterior blacks have a lotion applied to keep them protected from UV.

That's my maintenance schedule in a perfect world.

allenk4
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Bi-weekly is either twice a week or every other week.

The word is generally avoided due to this general confusion of the definition.

creaky
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
That's a good question. For me, it means a wash every week that gets spray-on wax during the drying. For bird bombs, etc. I use an MF towel and some QD spray.

The interior is on an as-needed basis. I can't keep up with my wife's interior (she thinks I'm nuts) so hers gets the leather/consoles/dash/etc. wipe down about twice a month.

For my weekend fun car, I just do it when something gets soiled and clean and condition leather once a month.

garyg7133
10-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I can't keep up with my cars. I'm so busy w/full time job , kids and 2 days/week detailing that both of our cars look like someone shook a pine tree in them. I figure some time this month I'll take care of the interiors. The exteriors get washed about twice a month and waxed every 3 months though.

af90
10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I like to wash weekly or every two weeks.

conthedon
10-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I wash every week and final wipe/dry with instant detailer, a quick wipe down of wheels with left over ONR from my wash... Every two weeks clean wheels/tires with apc and reapply dressing since my wheels usually dont get that dirty, partly because I have ceramic brake pads..and the tire dressing looks good/helps keep tires looking clean for at least two weeks. Although winter/snow weather wheels get cleaned once a week or sooner. Spray wax maybe every 2-3 months.

07gtcs
10-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I wash on an as needed and have time to basis on my DD and the wifes VW. My Baby gets wiped down after everytime it leaves the garage, this could be a simple QD, Waterless wash, a Rinseless wash. Depends on the mood and the amount of dust from the time outside that day. Interior and leather is also cleaned as needed, I do treat the leather at least twice a summer. Spray sealant and or spray wax every so often to keep up the shine on all of them.

KS_Detailing
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I take out the foam cannon and pressure washer once a week or every 2 weeks. I just soak it, get a bucket of clean water w/ a grit guard and wash. Then rise & dry :dblthumb2:

nissenc1337
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Bi-weekly is either twice a week or every other week.

The word is generally avoided due to this general confusion of the definition.

Here I mean every other week but having two vehicles mean that I am washing a car once a week while the other sits in the garage.

Joe@Superior Shine
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Maintenance detailing is my bread and butter!!!

McLaren MP4-12C detailed by Superior Shine Auto Detailing - YouTube

Audios S6
10-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Summer:
Multiple times per week: ONR & waterless washes
Weekly - wash, clean & dress wheels & tires; clean exhuast & spray wax
every 2 weeks - Clean rocker panels, interior wipe & vac
every month - wax
every 3 months - clean & dress engine

Winter:
Multiple times per week: ONR
Every 2 weeks - wash, clean & dress wheels & tires; clean exhuast & spray wax
every month - Clean rocker panels, interior wipe & vac
every 3 months - clean & dress engine

All my trim is coated so I don't dress it, just a little extra attention with each wash, recoat as needed with UTTG+ or nothing for the Gtech C4.