PDA

View Full Version : cleaning sealed wheels

wdmaccord
10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Any suggestions on how to clean wheels once they are sealed? I haven't sealed my wheels yet and use BF APC 1:4 to clean the wheels. I don't want to do that once they are sealed to avoid shortening the life of the sealant or removing it altogether.

One thing I was thinking was mixing up some DG 901 diluted with water in a spray bottle and using that. I've gotten away from using a bucket of soap for cleaning wheels as it is quicker to just rinse each wheel/tire, then spray on the cleaner and scrub. I use a dedicated MF mitt and Daytona Speedmaster to clean the wheels. I do rinse each brush and the mitt between each wheel/tire

If diluting the DG seems like a good option, what dilution would you use?

Thanks.

mfrickman
10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Car wash soap and that dedicated mitt will do the trick. If you rinseless wash, you can use the leftover solution from that or just use a QD spray and a microfiber. Depends on how bad they get I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

wdmaccord
10-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Car wash soap and that dedicated mitt will do the trick. If you rinseless wash, you can use the leftover solution from that or just use a QD spray and a microfiber. Depends on how bad they get I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

I only use a bucket of rinse water when I clean wheels, for the mitt. I rinse my brushes with the hose between each wheel. It seemed like a waste and a hassle to make up a soap bucket for the wheels too.

Anyone have any thoughts on what dilution to use in spray bottle using DG 901 to use for the wheels? That's what I would like to do as I had been spraying them down with APC in the past.

Crispy
12-29-2015, 10:14 PM
Permanon will do wonders on rims. Clean with "what ever" then rinse and spray Permanon. Dry with soft towel. Repeat every time you clean rims and you will be rewarded.

Rsurfer
12-29-2015, 10:34 PM
Any suggestions on how to clean wheels once they are sealed? I haven't sealed my wheels yet and use BF APC 1:4 to clean the wheels. I don't want to do that once they are sealed to avoid shortening the life of the sealant or removing it altogether.

One thing I was thinking was mixing up some DG 901 diluted with water in a spray bottle and using that. I've gotten away from using a bucket of soap for cleaning wheels as it is quicker to just rinse each wheel/tire, then spray on the cleaner and scrub. I use a dedicated MF mitt and Daytona Speedmasterskip the Daytona and use Wheel Woolies for longer sealant life to clean the wheels. I do rinse each brush and the mitt between each wheel/tire

If diluting the DG seems like a good option, what dilution would you use?

Thanks.

:props:

DetailGroove
12-30-2015, 12:08 AM
I would use basic soap and wash mitt with brushes

You can always just try it out every months and keep track of the results.

What combo worked best to gain best durable results :)

PA DETAILER
12-30-2015, 08:11 AM
My DP coated wheels clean right up with soap & water.

BillyJack
12-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Giving your wheels a good cleaning and sealing is one of the best steps you can take to reduce your maintenance time. My personal preference is FK1000p, but there's a bunch of others here also.
Since most of my washes are rinseless, I keep a 48 oz. pump-up sprayer filled with either DG, ONR or D114. Brush combination depends on the wheels you have, but a Daytona Jr., one from Lowes similar to Laitner Grip-It Fender & Body Brush, Car Wash Brush, Exterior Detail Brush, Shampoo Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-body-brush.html) and a small lug nut brush covers every wheel I have.
I'll spray the wheel and tire, agitate with a dampened brush, then pump up the pressure to rinse before drying with towels that are labeled "wheels only". If tires are not looking good enough, Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html) handles them well. It probably took me longer to type this than it takes to do one tire/wheel. 3-4 times a year, I'll re-wax the wheels, dress the tires when appropriate, so my HD wheel cleaner arsenal gets rarely used.
As Mike says, "find something you like and use it often"

Bill

Sicoupe
12-30-2015, 10:49 AM
My DP coated wheels clean right up with soap & water.+1:xyxthumbs:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Like others, I clean with tail end of soap or just use rinse less. My wheels are sealed with CQuartz Dlux then topped with Hydr02 twice a year.