PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good website?

Pages : [1] 2

Gsrjake
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Im looking for a cheap, straight forward and simple website. Can someone recommenced some to me? Looking to make one asap. Thanks!

beamerstrumpet
10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
just discovered weebly from another post. it looks pretty good to me. gonna start playing with it soon myself.

greatwhitenorth
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Webs.com
Done a few with them it's sweet

Squiigii
10-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Facebook Fan Page. It's free.

Http://facebook.com/Squiigii
Http://facebook.com/Mr.Squiigii.Auto.Salon

I used to have a website squiigii.com but after buying hosting and name, I realized it takes a lot of time to do one my self. Decided to pay for one built. $1500 was not what I wanted to pay either. I decided to do let rely on the fan page for Facebook.

Here is why. Everyone and their grandmas are on social media. And social media has made a positive affect on people's lives. A trust factor can be established and a personal relationship can develop offline. I keep it all business and not personal. I landed large contracts with it.

Pureshine
10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
I use ipage love it been there 3 years.

Gsrjake
10-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Prices guys?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
10-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Prices guys?

You are going to pay at minimum $100 to purchase a domain name, domain name privacy and hosting if you do it yourself.

Do you know anything about SEO? Local SEO? Web conventions? User interface design?

If not this is the type of business expense you pay someone to do.

Like others have suggested you need a Facebook business page, a google+ local page, listings in all the local business directories, ad on craigslist and the list goes on.

Making a website isn't hard, but to do it right, have it look professional and to also be found in google search results are a different story.

Pay someone to host, build and maintain your website along with the SEO (search engine optimization).

drvnbysound
10-08-2013, 06:47 AM
I'd suggest that you look into Wordpress (.org). Wordpress (.com) offers wordpress sites (I believe for free), but there are limitations to what you can do, and what themes you can install (see more below).

Most people are familiar with it from a blogging perspective, but it has the ability to have static pages just like standard sites. It's free to use (provided you have your own domain name and hosting), and there is a very large online community who uses/supports Wordpress. Not to mention there are literally THOUSANDS of themes that you can install and completely change the look of the site via mouse clicks.

That said, be sure to check out 'child themes' if you want to customize an existing theme. Also, do some research on security precautions; it's not that someone necessarily wants to hack and 'steal' your information, but rather that they may just want to mess up your site if you leave it unsecured.

Regarding pricing, I pay $44 for hosting, $12.95 for domain name, and ~$8 for domain name privacy... per year. So it costs me about $65/yr for my site. Also, when looking into hosting providers, don't simply go with the cheapest; I've read where a lot of people have went with GoDaddy (I've never used them), but there have been reports of various incidents where GoDaddy itself has been hacked and it effected most or all users who had sites hosted there as well.

zmcgovern45
10-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I use snappages.com

100% free to use. $25/yr if you want to purchase a domain name.

Check out my site if you'd like.

drvnbysound
10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
BTW: A hosted domain (that you pay for) will allow you to have personal email accounts, such as: your_name@your_domain.com

Additionally, you will have control over your entire directory of hosted space. If you want to make a folder there for whatever, you can do it and put whatever files you want there... whether it be for others to access or just for off-site storage. You can password protect directories as well.

ExoticAutoDetai
10-08-2013, 07:17 AM
9.99 for hosting, about $10 for domain name some of them include free privacy the first year I believe. Install wordpress and look for a free simple theme and you can have a professional site for less than $100 a year. If you want a more professional website theme than buy one they have different varieties of prices for that.

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek. now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-08-2013, 08:23 AM
I use snappages.com

100% free to use. $25/yr if you want to purchase a domain name.

Check out my site if you'd like.

Zach, how do you integrate your blog into your site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

zmcgovern45
10-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Zach, how do you integrate your blog into your site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

They have a blog "app" that is already integrated if you choose to include it like I have.

CDot
10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd suggest that you look into Wordpress (.org). Wordpress (.com) offers wordpress sites (I believe for free), but there are limitations to what you can do, and what themes you can install (see more below).

Most people are familiar with it from a blogging perspective, but it has the ability to have static pages just like standard sites. It's free to use (provided you have your own domain name and hosting), and there is a very large online community who uses/supports Wordpress. Not to mention there are literally THOUSANDS of themes that you can install and completely change the look of the site via mouse clicks.

That said, be sure to check out 'child themes' if you want to customize an existing theme. Also, do some research on security precautions; it's not that someone necessarily wants to hack and 'steal' your information, but rather that they may just want to mess up your site if you leave it unsecured.

Regarding pricing, I pay $44 for hosting, $12.95 for domain name, and ~$8 for domain name privacy... per year. So it costs me about $65/yr for my site. Also, when looking into hosting providers, don't simply go with the cheapest; I've read where a lot of people have went with GoDaddy (I've never used them), but there have been reports of various incidents where GoDaddy itself has been hacked and it effected most or all users who had sites hosted there as well.

+1 for wordpress; you can do so much with it--especially if you purchase a premium theme

Pureshine
10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Zach I like your website :)