PDA

View Full Version : Got a little bummed

Pages : [1] 2

klumzypinoy
06-19-2007, 03:00 AM
I got bummed out cause I washed, clayed, and barely waxed (Pinnacle Signature Series II) my parents' 03 silver Camry. I took forever, the thing's a boat! Well what bummed me out was when I was waxing, the paint hood still felt like there was contaminants, but I ignored it. The wax pad was grabby and it accidentally flew outta my hand :(. I took out another pad, and that flew too! So I stopped, and I was tired. I had the hood, fenders, and the roof covered. I wish the pad didn't feel so grabby. Maybe I should have sprayed some QD on it. I'm more bummed out by the way the hood felt, even though I clayed it. It didn't feel smooth. I was detailing from maybe around 4 PM to almost 10 PM, then I ate after I was done washing and my friend came over while I was claying and we ate (I ate again, man I feel fatty).

Ivan Rajic
06-19-2007, 03:21 AM
I got bummed out cause I washed, clayed, and barely waxed (Pinnacle Signature Series II) my parents' 03 silver Camry. I took forever, the thing's a boat! Well what bummed me out was when I was waxing, the paint hood still felt like there was contaminants, but I ignored it. The wax pad was grabby and it accidentally flew outta my hand :(. I took out another pad, and that flew too! So I stopped, and I was tired. I had the hood, fenders, and the roof covered. I wish the pad didn't feel so grabby. Maybe I should have sprayed some QD on it. I'm more bummed out by the way the hood felt, even though I clayed it. It didn't feel smooth. I was detailing from maybe around 4 PM to almost 10 PM, then I ate after I was done washing and my friend came over while I was claying and we ate (I ate again, man I feel fatty).

Is the hood heavily swirled? I've found surfaces with heavy swirling to be very "sandpaper-like" even after a good claying...

White95DodgeRam
06-19-2007, 05:56 AM
sorry to hear bud i too spent my weekend in teh same perdicament with my moms 01 silverado this weekend...4 hours just washing,degreasing,and claying...hood felt the same way unfortunantly :(.....then toss on another 2 hours of waxing (3 layers).....only to have it rain sunday :(

HighEndDetail
06-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you. Try claying the hood again. Sometimes the clay doesn't get all the junk off the first time. And a second claying is needed.

Mike T
06-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've encountered similar situations.
Another thing to keep in mind is the aggressiveness of the clay. You see now that the clay you were using left behind alot of contamination. You might think about picking up a little more aggressive clay for next time. Or like mentioned above you might just need a second round of claying.

Nica
06-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I agree with HighEndDetail and Mike T, claying is so important and depending how bad the shape the vehicle is in you may need additional clay. I've goten in the habit of cutting the clay is three peases (depending on the size) and if the vehicle is in really bad shape you know the first pease will be tossed and a new pease will have to be used. In addition, sometimes you'll be able to get a way with a very mild clay and sometimes you'll need an aggresive clay having one of each is nice.

To hear about your experiance but it happens and it's always best to just take your time, things have a way of faling a part if you rush them.

Hopefully next time it will be a different story for you buddy.

Surfer
06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I took forever, the thing's a boat! A lil' ol' Camry....want to do our suv's/trucks?? :D

P1et
06-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Can anyone help me with this? Everytine I use clay, the stuff ends up falling apart. I was detailing the roof on my wife's Explorer and I had to use two balls of clay to finish it up.

And every single time I use my clay, and then put it away it ends up growing mold. Claying pisses me off.

2KLS1
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
P1et, what are you using for a lube? Sometimes some people like to use soapy water and it will cause some clays to crumble. At least that is what I've read. Can't remember which brands of clay though. I've never had clay fall apart on me. I usually use the OTC stuff like Mothers and Meg's which ever is cheapest.

Surfer
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Can anyone help me with this? Everytine I use clay, the stuff ends up falling apart. I was detailing the roof on my wife's Explorer and I had to use two balls of clay to finish it up.

And every single time I use my clay, and then put it away it ends up growing mold. Claying pisses me off.All I use is the regular white Megs clay bars and qd'er and thats it, never had any issues, I just store some of the bars in a plastic bag (sprayed with some qd'er quickly to keep from drying out), and two are in a sealed container that came in a package. Some of the clay I've had for about a year, and is still good, little dirty so I don't use it on paint, just glass.

I love this stuff:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/DSC02783.jpg

klumzypinoy
06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
THanks for the tip guys! I'm thinking of just claying a few sections at a time so I won't take forever. I'm probably just gonna throw out the clay I just used, or use it for wheels, it's a small piece anyways. I always cut up my clay. I'm also gonna do additional passes.

Surfer, I haven't clayed our SUV yet, but I'm sure I'm gonna be doing that in sections at a time :p.

Surfer
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
THanks for the tip guys! I'm thinking of just claying a few sections at a time so I won't take forever. I'm probably just gonna throw out the clay I just used, or use it for wheels, it's a small piece anyways. I always cut up my clay. I'm also gonna do additional passes.

Surfer, I haven't clayed our SUV yet, but I'm sure I'm gonna be doing that in sections at a time :p.Claying is easy on an suv, polishing is a BEOTCH:D

BILL
06-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Sorry to read about your dismay.......claying with plenty of lube in small sections from now on........ok???

klumzypinoy
06-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Sorry to read about your dismay.......claying with plenty of lube in small sections from now on........ok???

I start with small sections but tend to go bigger, I have to control myself hahah. I think my clay is getting plugged up though, but I'm still able to knead the clay and find a clean surface.

P1et
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I actually use water mixed with a car wash shampoo. Perhaps that's why it's crumbling?