PDA

View Full Version : need help selecting lake country ccs pad colors

Pages : [1] 2

scottman25
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM
hey guys,
I wanted to pick up some 5.5 pads for my DA polisher. I am looking at the Ccs pads that lake country offers. I'm going to get the 5.5 back in plate.
I just need help picking the colors.
I am thinking of going with:
yellow, orange, white, green, grey, and red.

What do you guys think?
the products I use at this point are 3m perfect x rubbbing compound, meguires m205 and meguiers gold class liquid caranuba wax. And I have mothers clay bars.
Thank you
Scott

Evan.J
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
What are you working on?

I am a fan if the hydrotech pads or the flat pads. The hydrotech pad keep the product on the working surface and less gets soaked into the pad.

spiralout462
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
What are you working on?

I am a fan if the hydrotech pads or the flat pads. The hydrotech pad keep the product on the working surface and less gets soaked into the pad.

:iagree:Hydrotechs are nicer to work with in my opinion. Fewer color choices to avoid confusion, and finish very well. The flat pads are nice as well. They are easy to clean and are very durable.

To answer your question, you will probably use way more white and orange than any other color so make sure you have plenty. I like black for soft paint. Yellow is way to aggressive for my taste. You can probably do without red unless you like to apply wax by machine.

UglyBetty
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, but I'd go heavy on orange and white, then fill in with red.

Compounds and polishes cake require more pad cleaning, while waxes and sealants rarely require you to change or clean pads on the same vehicle(in my opinion). You will also abuse the polish / compound pads more due to working product / pressure that you will spreading wax.

UglyBetty
10-07-2013, 08:28 PM
:iagree:Hydrotechs are nicer to work with in my opinion. Fewer color choices to avoid confusion, and finish very well. The flat pads are nice as well. They are easy to clean and are very durable.

To answer your question, you will probably use way more white and orange than any other color so make sure you have plenty. I like black for soft paint. Yellow is way to aggressive for my taste. You can probably do without red unless you like to apply wax by machine.

Thinking about trying some on my PE14, all I have is CCS pads, do they hold up better to a pad brush? How about splatter with compound / polishes compared to CCS?

Thanks

scottman25
10-08-2013, 12:47 AM
im starting out detailing cars on the side. so far my family and friends are really happy with my work. i did a coworkers Ford ranger last week and he was very pleased. so as for what im using these on, well its going to be cars that have clear coat on them. i got 4 more co workers that want their cars done, the one is oxidized but not really bad. i currently use the harbor freight pads but they break down too fast so i want to step it up. and on ebay i saw the pick 6 of the lake country ccs pads. i know mike phillips uses these so i figured they must be good pads.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-08-2013, 03:26 AM

Big fan of the hydrotech pads here as well. They perform very well and are easily understood by new users as there are only 3 pads to remember in the lineup rather than 5-6.

Radarryan
10-08-2013, 03:59 AM
I too prefer the Hydrotech line. I started out with all CCS pads when I first got my polisher because they were touted as the best, and pushed very hard on Autogeek. I really didn't like how much product they used, or how they felt with using, so I decided I would try the Hydrotech.

I can't tell you how much more of a difference it makes to use a flat pad over the CCS. I think that you will find the consensus to avoid CCS and get yourself some Hydrotech (or flat).

erichaley
10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
If you don't like the pockets on he CCS pads, go with the LC Flat Pads, which are essentially CCS pads without the pockets.

Personally, I prefer a wider range of pads so that I can tailor the polish and pad combination to the vehicle I'm working on.

Regardless of your pad choice, I suggest having at least one of each color, plus at least three of the ones you find you use the most.

While orange and white CCS pads are popular, they may not be best for your specific application. By having one of each color, you can find what works best for you. It may not be the most cost-effective method, but it's the most flexible.

scottman25
10-08-2013, 09:02 PM
im going to look into bothe the hydro tech and flat pads and see what i like best based on reviews and pricing.

thank you,
Scott

beamerstrumpet
10-08-2013, 09:47 PM
you have mail :)

scottman25
10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Thank you beamer. Now I have a dilemma. Buff n shine pads, or lake country hydro tech pads or the lake country flat pads? I like the fact that was stated earlier with hydro tech only having 3 pad colors. Here is my setup. Da polisher, 3m Perfect x rubbing compound, m205, meguires gold class caranuba wax. which pads would work best with my products?

erichaley
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
If you're only using one compound, one polish, and one wax, then you really can't go wrong with any of the pads you mention. My opinion? Start with the hydrotechs, but don't be afraid to experiment with the others as you become more experienced.

scottman25
10-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Ok, ill get the hydro techs. At this point that combination of products is working really well. my next step after the pads is to find a wax that lasts a couple months or more.

Old Tiger
10-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I would try MF cutting pads in lieu of yellow or cyan (HT). Orange or tangerine and Black or crimson for finishing.