PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove NEW Alloy rims for the winter or is sealing them enough?

shane83
10-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Need some advice here folks. I bought a brand new '14 Camry recently and it has some real nice 18" Alloy Rims that seem to be "clear-coated" from the factory. It came with 4 Michelin all seasons but I am looking for some deals on winter tires, and I am not sure if I should get steel rims to use in the winter as well?

I was planning to seal my current Alloy rims with two coats of Collinite 845, after I am done with the car paint. Will that be enough to prevent any sort of "damage" from consistent road salts, other elements throughout the long winter up here?

I will park it in the garage when its at home, but it'll be my daily commuter so the rims will be in contact with road salts nearly everyday...unless we don't get much snow this year..which is a possibility but I'm not counting on it!

Appreciate the input!

tuscarora dave
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I'd go for Opti-Coat 2.0 for the rims. Any regular sealer or wax doesn't stand a chance against a constant barrage of road salt over a few month period. Putting on the steel wheels will be your best option but if you can't do that, a coating would be your best bet protection.

FUNX650
10-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Any and All Wheels...will last longer/look better if never exposed to road-salts/ice-melters.

If you've got the coin...
Go with steelies with your winter treads.

Optional:
Paint the steelies white; and: reverse the shackles...
For that: "just-spun-out-at-the-track-look"!
Less harassment that way.

:)

Bob

shane83
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Right on, thanks guys.

I suppose if the opti-coat 2.0 coating will be enough to protect the rims throughout the winter, then I'd just settle with that on the rims because new steel rims will cost more than the opti-coat..

Andr3wilson
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I am an advocate for layer up the coatings on the rims. Rims see a lot more than body paint. Mostly brake dust and strongly cleaning (wheel cleaners and brushes).

I also strongly recommend using a body shop wax and grease remover before applying coating of choice. IPA cannot compete with a wax and grease remover when it comes to paint cleansing. AM-900 in an aerosol is a great product along with Sikkens M600. Both 100% safe, streak free and easy to use!

FUNX650
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Right on, thanks guys.

I suppose if the opti-coat 2.0 coating will be enough to protect the rims throughout the winter, then I'd just settle with that on the rims because new steel rims will cost more than the opti-coat..
OK...Then buy some used steelies and a couple rattle cans of white paint.
Best way to keep your new wheels...New! Don't go around supposing if.

:)

Bob

forrest@mothers
10-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Given the choice, I'll always take steelies for winter over alloys.

Exposure to sodium chloride, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and beet juice mixed with brine (my favorite) isn't good for paint - body or wheels. Steelies are a cheap investment

conthedon
10-07-2013, 06:00 PM
The best bet is to switch them out, but i dont. Just make sure to not let them sit for many days, the sooner the better to rinse them off by spraying an apc like optimum power clean and/or with something like ONR.