PDA

View Full Version : Turned down a client with Paint Spill

statusdetailing
10-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I just turned down a client that spilled a 1/2 gallon of latex paint in her carpet. :eek: From what I understand, it was still fairly fresh. I started having visions of my extractor and vacuum, full of nasty paint and just couldn't do it.

Was I right in turning her down?

greatwhitenorth
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes.

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Might be cheaper for them to just replace the carpet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

statusdetailing
10-07-2013, 11:27 AM
I feel better now. Thanks guys.

GenesisCoupe
10-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Terrible customer service!

Just Kidding..I operate without an extractor, and even if i did have one, i am not about to ruin it by having dry paint inside of it and so on.. too much work in my opinion as well.

Pureshine
10-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I have turned down the same job before! way to much of a pain to deal with for sure.

MarkD51
10-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Can't blame you for that, and I agree. A 1/2 gallon of pure paint would probably take quite a bit of solution-water to even partially remove, and you would've wound up with gallons and gallons of a "diluted" paint-water mixture. In other words, a nightmare for you, and most likely an extractor that might never be, or look the same again.
Mark

statusdetailing
10-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow, now I really feel better. I've removed small latex paint spots and little spills...not really a problem. This just sounded like a nightmare.

goodinblack
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
They should just get new carpet . What I would do.

erichaley
10-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, would latex paint, which is water-soluble, really gum up the extractor? I could definitely see it with other types of paint.

Either way, you have every right to turn down the jobs you don't feel comfortable with, or won't be able to see any appreciable results afterwards. That's how I feel about champagne colored Ford Fusions after my last detail. It was swirled, scratched, and cloudy - all of which were pretty well masked by the color - making it hard to see the defects. On top of that, it had rock-hard paint. After all that work, it merely went from bland to boring.

LSpec
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
now I know what to do, not only for customers but with my things, great advices

FUNX650
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
All affected carpeting and backing-pads would have to have been removed from the vehicle for thorough cleaning.
The ol' backyard clothesline comes in handy for this purpose.

There surely would be paint/paint odor to remove from the exposed floorboards;
and the seating-areas/headliner would soak-up some of the aroma.

Turning this task down was your prerogative..Sounds like you acted accordingly.

Question:
Are there any local "paint-remediation" service companies that you could refer this person to?

:)

Bob

statusdetailing
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
All affected carpeting and backing-pads would have to have been removed from the vehicle for thorough cleaning.
The ol' backyard clothesline comes in handy for this purpose.

There surely would be paint/paint odor to remove from the exposed floorboards;
and the seating-areas/headliner would soak-up some of the aroma.

Turning this task down was your prerogative..Sounds like you acted accordingly.

Question:
Are there any local "paint-remediation" service companies that you could refer this person to?

:)

Bob

Not sure about any paint remediation services haha. I referred her down to the local production shop that everybody in Springfield seems to go to for some stupid reason. They hologram everything. I'm sure they'll do a crappy job and she'll be pissed and sue them. Sucks to be them.

KS_Detailing
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
I just turned down a client that spilled a 1/2 gallon of latex paint in her carpet. :eek: From what I understand, it was still fairly fresh. I started having visions of my extractor and vacuum, full of nasty paint and just couldn't do it.

Was I right in turning her down?

:iagree:

I don't blame you at all. I would not want that near my extractor! If I was transporting paint it would be in a plastic bin or something not directly on the carpet.

FUNX650
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Not sure about any paint remediation services haha.
I referred her down to the local production shop that everybody in Springfield seems to go to for some stupid reason. They hologram everything.
I'm sure they'll do a crappy job and she'll be pissed and sue them.
Sucks to be them.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hopefully they'll take care of the carpet's paint-problem...
without screwing anything else all to pieces and back again.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/crossfingers.gif

Bob