PDA

View Full Version : Single step correction help

scottt60514
10-06-2013, 05:36 PM
My first post was long and didn't get much response, so I'm going to try shorter posts with fewer questions. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that we plan to keep for about 10 years. I want to correct and protect it but don't want to spend more time than is needed. These pictures are after washing and using the Nanoskin Autoscrub.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6i5rt1.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/qsny2r.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/29nil39.jpg

I have a HF DA polisher and have replaced the backing plate. Keeping in mind I don't want to put in more time than is necessary, do you think I could get away with one correction step? I was considering Optimum Polish II. I also need a recommendation for pads and protection. The car sits outside 24/7 in Oklahoma(sun and heat) and FK1000p was recommended, but I was wondering if a WOWA product might suit my needs better. They seem much faster to apply with the tradeoff being longevity. I'm looking for a balance between longevity, price and ease of use. Unlike most of you I find this a necessary evil, not a hobby.:bolt:

UglyBetty
10-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Considering what you are looking for, I would hand polish what you have in pics with a light polish, then seal or cleaner wax with polisher depending on what it needs.

hernandez.art13
10-06-2013, 08:12 PM
What about clean the paint, then just opti seal?

Or correct it and opti coat?

Then just with proper maintenance?

swanicyouth
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Polish II on a white or orange CCS pad may be fine, but you will need to do a test spot. The thing is, to get great results, you need a few different types of pads, because nobody can tell exactly how hard or soft your paint is without doing a test spot.

You need to get at least 2 pads of each color, and 2 finishing pads, as you won't know exactly what you need until you try. Two pads is assuming you are taking a break 1/3 if the way through and washing and drying both pads. Its unlikely, but you may have to follow up with a finishing polish as well (Optimum Finish).

Honestly, you sound like a prime candidate for a coating. Maybe look into the DP coating. It's fairly cheap and you get several applications per bottle. You can refresh it yearly if you like.

OptiCoat also sounds ideal for you. It costs a bit more, but is considered "permanent". I will likely last 5 years if applied correctly. Conventional waxes and sealants will all break down after months. Honestly opposed to a WOWA sealant, for just a bit more work you can get more durability with something like Menzerna PowerLock. I've never used FK sealants, some say they can be tough to remove, but last a long time.

Optimum Car Wax is super easy to use. Real world durability is a month or 2. However, if you wash your car, it's very easy to apply when your drying after every 2 washes it so. So, while you need to re-apply fairly frequently, its easy to do when you wash your car. Its dirt cheap as well and has UV protectors for the sun.