PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars mirror glaze professional vs. higher end products

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shane4225
10-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Just something that hit me the other day as I was polishing a car with (meguiars 205) and I got to thinking. How does meguiars professional line stack up to the competition?

I've used or use griots,chemical guys,poor boys,collinite and others those are some of my main ones.

So shoot me some feedback I wanna see if I am making the right choices or just throwing money out the window.

FUNX650
10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I've used or use griots,chemical guys,poor boys,collinite and others those are some of my main ones.

Do you consider the above products to be more "higher-end" than Meguiar's Mirror Glaze "Pro"-products?

Bob

otruba_843
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I used Meg's #26 (I think) once. It was a yellow liquid wax and it was pretty crappy IMO. I like most of Meg's products, but it was just an absolute train wreck to use. Could have been a bad batch of it, but who knows?

Shane4225
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Do you consider the above products to be more "higher-end" than Meguiar's Mirror Glaze "Pro"-products?

Bob

You hear those names really often through out the other forums but seems like meguiars stays under the radar

CCC4me
10-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing you mean more expensive when you say higher end? The pro line in Meguiars (especially the 105/205 duo) is always my first reach as it is effective across such a wide range of paints. There are always unique situations that call for unique products, but little else out there can match the universal effectiveness of the Megs Professional line, especially for the price.

silverfox
10-06-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm always amused at threads that contains the words "high end" which means what exactly?

I'm assuming you mean cost? I think we all know that cost doesn't necessarily relate to something being high end. Getting what you pay for may be true for most things but not for detailing products. In this business it's about what the market will bare, not the quality of the result. Technique trumps cost every time.

Meg's products are not only great products but they are well within everybody's budget. Few car care companies can share that honor.

NickZ28
10-06-2013, 06:22 AM
I'm always amused at threads that contains the words "high end" which means what exactly?

I'm assuming you mean cost? I think we all know that cost doesn't necessarily relate to something being high end. Getting what you pay for may be true for most things but not for detailing products. In this business it's about what the market will bare, not the quality of the result. Technique trumps cost every time.

Meg's products are not only great products but they are well within everybody's budget. Few car care companies can share that honor.

:iagree:I have been a Megs user for years and have always achieved great results.

BillE
10-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Think this way...Meguiar's has been around for 100 years. How many of the 'high end' products will be able to say the same thing in 2113?

When in doubt, I've generally found a Meg's product that will fill the bill.

Yes, I am defending Meguiar's.

Bill

parttimer
10-06-2013, 06:33 AM
I used Meg's #26 (I think) once. It was a yellow liquid wax and it was pretty crappy IMO. I like most of Meg's products, but it was just an absolute train wreck to use. Could have been a bad batch of it, but who knows?

I've used yellow for years, I'm guessing a bad batch or maybe too thick of an application? Stuff gives a tremendous glow on black. Durability is questionable.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

jfelbab
10-06-2013, 08:45 AM
IMHO, when it come to polishing and compounding, Meg's defines the high-end products.

Who brought us SMAT?
Who brought us Microfiber pads that revolutionized the DA polishing arena?

I define high-end based on performance, not cost.

HateSwirls
10-06-2013, 09:26 AM
I've yet to try anything that works better than Meg's 205, is it the best?
Well IMO it is, others may not think the same.
I don't think anyone has the answer as what's the best because of preference.

swanicyouth
10-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Honestly, I'm not a huge Meg's fan. It seems they have some good products, but some of the old stuff could be phased out or revamped. The thing with the Mirror Glaze line I always wonder is, since it's mainly targeted at body shop guys, and some of them are in the Stone Age with regard to detailing, is the incentive not to phase out old products just to maintain the stays quo for users of the old products? Like couldn't they get rid of M80 whatever?

otruba_843
10-06-2013, 10:13 AM
I've used yellow for years, I'm guessing a bad batch or maybe too thick of an application? Stuff gives a tremendous glow on black. Durability is questionable.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

No, I applied it thin and found it barely spread. While I was applying it in my garage, it turned all crusty and would form these booger like things. I will say it was super easy to remove, but that was about it.

FUNX650
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
You hear those names really often through out the other forums but seems like meguiars stays under the radar
-I always attempt to understand where some folks might equate "higher-end" detailing products
as those that are being heard about more frequently on some internet forums.

Alas...Most of the time I'm unsuccessful in doing so.

-I do, however, wonder if it has something to do with the psychological effects, if any,
that social media and internet-marketing has (or may have) on peoples' psyche.

-I'm glad there does exist forums that allows (and sometimes: "assists") people in their efforts when they're
positing 'points-of-view or tactics' that they think is beneficial to their particular forum's audience.

This just may be where social media and internet-marketing "assists" marketers in their quest of:
Connecting with customers....in what's now acceptable to be believed: In a very personal way.
I'm curious if this could be deemed as one of the social-triggers that is responsible for converts...

-Since what I see, then, is a correlation between the "high-end products" subject at hand;
and the latest crush on certain facets of the latest available "high-end/high-tech" electronic devices...

I'll reflect on what Steve Jobs once said, (and said it best):
"People don’t know what they want until you give it to them".

:)

Bob

tuscarora dave
10-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Other companies try to emulate but no one can seem to duplicate. Meguiars seems to set the bar for compounds and polishes but I think they are lacking in other areas like with waxes, coatings, tire protectants, and 5.5" buffing pads, can't believe an industry leader like Meguiars doesn't offer a 5.5" foam pad.