PDA

View Full Version : Buff and shine mf pads

Pages : [1] 2

Kengo123
10-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I recall a little bit of hype when the buff and shine mf pads came out, but I haven't seen too many reviews on them.

I had been wanting to pull the trigger on some mf pads, for at least 3 months, and I'm considering buff and shine first (bc I own buff and shine foam and backing plates, they look cool and I'd prefer to keep it all in the family) and meguiars second. I have no experience with either and I understand meguiars mf is the more popular option, but I'm also aware of their faults (delaminating, requires air to clean on the fly)

So question for you buff and shine owners, what do you think of them? Do you like your buff and shine mf pads? How do they compare to the meguiars pads? (Correction ability, dealminating, etc) am I better off just ordering meguiars?

Thanks
Ken

Corey@OptimalDetailing
10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I will give you my opinion, although it does lack some information.

I have done a few corrections with my Meguiar's MF pads, which correct and finish very well. They get hot and that's all there is to it, even w/ freshening up with air after every section. I chose to purchase some B&S MF pads because of their thickness (and ability to work better on my Flex). IMO, their quality looks better than the Meg's MF pads and the foam seems more durable.

Side by side, I would have chosen the B&S first.

Evan.J
10-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Here is my thoughts in them as I have the BnS and the Meg's

Meguiars pads are the best for cutting. The BnS work well with the flex as ur has been said. The fibers are thicker with the BnS and I find product sticks deeper in the fibers.

Over all both a great and the thicker one work better with the flex if you have it.

Kengo123
10-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys

I forgot to note that I own a PC and an HF da

Evan.J
10-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys

I forgot to note that I own a PC and an HF da

Go with the Meg's if those are your tools.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-05-2013, 02:20 PM
On a regular DA, Meg's without question!! The B&S are too beefy all around for a PC, IMO. I'll have to try B&S MF pads on the Flex 3401.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
The buff and shine also require air to clean on the fly. The latest word is that Meg's has sorted out the delamination issue, but the root cause is heat transferred to the laminate due to the thin foam core.

Mike put up an article about visitors in the AG garage working different machines with different mf pads, it would be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hernandez.art13
10-05-2013, 03:06 PM
If you don't have air would you guys advise against using MF pads? Could a brush work?

At Meguiar's they said you could use there brush to clean them if you don't have air. Was just wondering how you guys feel about this?

Kacz
10-05-2013, 04:59 PM
If you don't have air would you guys advise against using MF pads? Could a brush work?

At Meguiar's they said you could use there brush to clean them if you don't have air. Was just wondering how you guys feel about this?

I have 3 each of the B&S pads and use a brush to clean them out after each panel or sooner. I use all 3 (cutting/polishing) because of heat with the Flex. I have no issues what so ever.

I just used Ultimate Compound and Polish on my sisters black jeep (cheap route since I didn't want money for my service...awesome brother I am :)). The polishing MF pad didn't finish well enough for me so I used foam to finish. Was only looking for 80-90% correction. First time using MF pads on black paint.

hernandez.art13
10-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I have 3 each of the B&S pads and use a brush to clean them out after each panel or sooner. I use all 3 (cutting/polishing) because of heat with the Flex. I have no issues what so ever.

I just used Ultimate Compound and Polish on my sisters black jeep (cheap route since I didn't want money for my service...awesome brother I am :)). The polishing MF pad didn't finish well enough for me so I used foam to finish. Was only looking for 80-90% correction. First time using MF pads on black paint.

Alright I should be good, When I buy my machine and I start buying MF pads

parttimer
10-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I've been on the fence on grabbing bns pads, I have megs and optimum, so far I'm not liking the optimum. My 3 inch pads aren't holding well, the 5 are ok but the foam seems weak.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

68bowtie
10-06-2013, 01:12 AM
I have megs, optimum, lc and the bns pads and I like the megs best with the optimum second and the other two aways back.

silverfox
10-06-2013, 06:10 AM
I like the Meg's pads as well. Optimum second choice. The problem most guys have are due to using MF pads on machines not suited for them, or spinning them too fast. It's about matching the pad to the machine and unlike foam pads, MF pads perform better at much slower speeds. When it comes to MF pads you have to forget everything you learned using foam, at least that's been my experience.

You can even finish down with fantastic results on harder paints if you spin the MF pad as slow as possible so that it is just barely rotating.

SlowWRX
10-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I have Megs, BNS, Optimum
The meguiars pads do cut nice and fast. I like the BnS pads the best because they can be used on my Rupes at full speed and have a much better construction. They do NOT require air to clean. Just a pad brush to brush them out after every section like any MF pad. I used the optimum pad once and threw it out..Felt like it was garbage. Didnt even get half the car done and pretty much all the fibers basically where gone ripped off or blew out. I used it like any other pad. I have megs pads but mostly like the BnS due to build quality

erichaley
10-06-2013, 10:17 AM
On a DA like the GG6 or PC, I prefer the Meguiar's MF pads as the B&S pads tend to want to fly off the BP and/or overheat. On the FLEX 3401, I prefer the B&S pads. The key is to use no more pressure than the weight of the machine.

For cleaning the pads, I use a bug scrubber sponge. Works awesome!!