PDA

View Full Version : M105 and single stage paint?? Advice?

kochdalton87
10-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Right now I'm working on a single stage Saab (red). I washed it then gave the car a good soaking of Meg's #7 overnight before removing it the next day. Fast forward to now I'm using my Flex 3401 with the Hybrid pads and the M105/M205 combo. My test spot looks great for the condition the paint was in but I'm having trouble with M105. It's drying out way too fast. (No high humidity or weird weather conditions as of now.) I primed the pad with a small amount of M105, made sure the face was covered but not saturated and then placed 2-3 pea sized dots on the pad to work. I can barely get one pass done before it's getting dry. I spritz it with one squirt of water to rejuvinate it and do at least one more cross-hatch pass. And removing it is a whole nother animal. Any tips on getting the M105 to play nicer with this paint would be greatly appreciated. I read that using too much product is a common problem so I kept that in mind and adjusted my technique according to that but still no luck. Thanks

crober53
10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I have it do that also. Usually high humidity when it happens to me. I just switch compounds. Sorry couldn't help more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

HateSwirls
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I have Problems too, what I do it add a pea size drop of Ultimate Compound, you still get the 105 to do what it does and the UC keeps it from drying out, works really well and wipes off nicely.
Only one drop is needed.
Both 105 and UC or very closely related, I think that's what makes this method work so well.

mbkite
10-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I had a black slobb and the paint was super soft are you shure u need 105

kochdalton87
10-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I have it do that also. Usually high humidity when it happens to me. I just switch compounds. Sorry couldn't help more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

I experimented with UC a little after you recommended this and it seemed to do better in the drying time but not as much correction IMO but thank you for your response.

I have Problems too, what I do it add a pea size drop of Ultimate Compound, you still get the 105 to do what it does and the UC keeps it from drying out, works really well and wipes off nicely.
Only one drop is needed.
Both 105 and UC or very closely related, I think that's what makes this method work so well.

This. It was a huge help and is now the combo I am proceeding with. I will have to remember this combo for future. Thanks

I had a black slobb and the paint was super soft are you shure u need 105

I should've clarified. This Saab is heavily oxidized on the horizontal panels and that is why I am using 105. On the vertical panels I will most likely be just using 205 with a less aggressive/polishing pad. I tried the 205 on the horizontal panels but it just didn't have the bite I was looking for. Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated.