PDA

View Full Version : Hard etching in audi clear, how to proceed

Lurchalicious
10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Subject is a 2006 a6 night blue pearl effect. Bought second hand and I'm attempting to correct some defects.

Pulled in the garage after a wash and clayed the hood where what I thought were very bad water spots. When water is on them they just about disappear so I thought some correction would help.

First tried final finish on a white hex pad, pc on 6. Nada.

Tried intensive polish on an orange hex logic, pc on 6. Nada.

Tried intensive polish on a ccs yellow pad.. on 6. Sorta.

Wet spot sand with 3000 grit and follwed up with the above items. They are definitely not smoothing out with what I am doing

What I thought were water spots look like it was a chemical of some kind that ate into the clear.

Outside of having the hood re-cleared any other suggestions? Compunds? I was thinking I may need someone to step in with a rotary and compound it.

Some gorehttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/uge4uhas.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/a3a8une5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/e9e8e3a8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/uryre2ag.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hernandez.art13
10-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Do you have any pictures of when you sanded with 3000 grit? That always helps me out. To see what might be going on. (Don't go back and sand however) :)

^ and careful on the edge

traveljunkie523
10-04-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't think those are water spots. Looks like ssome sort of chemical defect.

Lurchalicious
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Do you have any pictures of when you sanded with 3000 grit? That always helps me out. To see what might be going on. (Don't go back and sand however) :)

^ and careful on the edge

I dont unfortunately, I only lightly used the paper (wet of course, soaked it for a half hour and kept it wet during). Would say I spent maybe 5-6 seconds on an area of spots, didnt sand much as the spots didnt disappear much with sanding.

hernandez.art13
10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Well... If 3000 didn't do much or anything in this case. It is probably lower. I'll let others chime in on what to do next.

However, it seems odd. That they are placed in that order and in those panels. Could be a lot of things. Especially since 3000 didn't do much.

Good luck and careful,

Art

CRyan
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Honestly, that looks like it could be rat/mouse/animal urine that dried and ate the clear. I am guessing you can feel these. Either way, that isn't going away most likely.

Lurchalicious
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Honestly, that looks like it could be rat/mouse/animal urine that dried and ate the clear. I am guessing you can feel these. Either way, that isn't going away most likely.

Its for sure pissing me off

Yuk yuk yuk

Kaban
10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Can you feel them when you run your fingernail over the area? In that first pic it looks pretty deep.

creaky
10-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Are the spots raised like little craters you can feel? I have the same problem (only one though) on a '13 A5. Hope you can find a solution. I'm going to get some detailing help from a pro soon so I'll let you know what I find out.

Lurchalicious
10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Are the spots raised like little craters you can feel? I have the same problem (only one though) on a '13 A5. Hope you can find a solution. I'm going to get some detailing help from a pro soon so I'll let you know what I find out.

They are like craters, not raised though. Its definitely etching into the clear. I think the only way I could fix this, since when water is on it the spots mainly disappear, is to place small amounts of clear on the spots and sand them down.

Lurchalicious
10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Can you feel them when you run your fingernail over the area? In that first pic it looks pretty deep.

Some are deep enough to feel others not so much

Kaban
10-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Some are deep enough to feel others not so much

Careful in that case. Clearcoat is thinner than you think.Sand too much and it's game over.

But seeing how bad the etching is and how large of an area it covers on the hood, I'd say a repaint is needed so at this point you might as well try wetsanding and polishing to see if it makes an improvement. If you can feel the etchings, it's too deep to fix 9 times out of 10.

ken tuep
10-05-2013, 07:34 AM
That looks a lot like tree sap etching, or some kind of chemical for sure.

I worked a BMW last month that had very deep water etching. I e.ended up using m105 with a wool pad on a rotary. Followed by m105 on flex 3401 with orange lc flat pad. That removed about 90% for me. Final polish with m205 on white pad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Lurchalicious
10-05-2013, 11:58 AM
That looks a lot like tree sap etching, or some kind of chemical for sure.

I worked a BMW last month that had very deep water etching. I e.ended up using m105 with a wool pad on a rotary. Followed by m105 on flex 3401 with orange lc flat pad. That removed about 90% for me. Final polish with m205 on white pad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Well that sounds alot more promising than other options, believe I'll seek out a professional with a rotary.