PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo vs Porter Cable

eland
06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
New to the forum and to detailing and looking for the pro's and con's of the Cyclo and Porter Cable.

trhland
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
the cyclo is great polishing tool doesnt vibrate as much as the p/c works good but little heavy and you cant get into tight area with it .

p/c is great nice and light and you can get into those tight areas but it vibrates alot. soon a/g will have there version of the p/c coming out and im hoping that wont vibrate as much as the p/c i might pick one up looks like a nice polisher

Jimmie
06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Wecome to the Forum. You didn't ask about this but you may want to consider the "Ultimate Detailing Machine" . It's about to be released. It's a more powerful PC style.

ScottB
06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Cyclo is the Cadillac of random orbitals but has no speed sensitivity. PC is the Honda version. A little underpowered but gets great mileage and never needs its warranty.

Dust2Glory
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
i run a cyclo every day... it's a great machine. only problem is cutting power, lacks alot. one you get use to it you can cover a surburban in 10 mins applying a wax. but for paint correction it again lags... i am getting a UDM for corrections and will use the cyclo for wax/sealants. i know most people can't or won't do that, but i think its a "killr" combination!

Nica
06-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I own a Cyclo and a rotary. I started off with a PC and I didn't like the vibration so much so I went over to the Cyclo and I like, it's a good solid machine but I agree with Dust2Glory it does lag in the correction side. I only use it on special vehicles and that is only for giving the paint the final polishing step....you know giving the paint that poping sensation with Menzerna Final Polish II...so pro's about the Cyclo:
- Very easy to use and has a great balance
- This is just my opinion but I think it covers a good surface area with dual 4inch pads
- Either Lake Country or Edge pads work great with it, easy to install and remove pads
- It's hard to bough down the machine, the motor will keep on going no matter how much pressure you apply on the machine

Con's:
- Even though it has great weight it can work against you when doing vertical panels
- As mentioend previously it takes a little getting used to tight areas...it can be done but it just takes a little manouvering
- One..or two speed...on and off :D

Well these are just a few things that come to mind, as Killr said it's a great machine works great but for some serious corrections I'll cotinue to use my rotary.

Hope this helps.

eland
06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I placed my first order the other day and went with the UDM. Now its just a waiting game for my box of goodies to come in and for the rain to stop.

Nica
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Let us know how the UDM works out for you and pics are a must bro ;)