PDA

View Full Version : Quick review Meg D151 vs HD Speed

Pages : [1] 2 3

Calendyr
10-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Hey guys,

nice weather today and some free time (well, not really but decided to take a break) ;)

So I did a quick test between Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme and HD Speed. Both products were use as one step correction to see how they did.

The test was performed on a Black 2008 Toyota Yaris outside in the shade with high Wind (always seems to be super windy when I want to work on car ;) Temperature was 22 celcius (72 fahrenheit).

I split the trunk in half doing one half with each product. So area is a little over 2.3' X 2.3' when rounded up.

I used Rupes 21ES with 5" backing plate, orange light cut Buff&Shine compound pads. I used a clean pad for each product. I primed the pad spreading product over the whole surface then added two nickel size drops of product.

I did exactly 8 section passes with each product using light pressure and slow arm speed. My Rupes was set to speed 6 for the whole process after spreading product around quickly at speed 2. My last pass was done with no pressure.

I used a 10% IPA solution to clean both areas before taking the pictures to make sure nothing was masked off by the fillers.

Review bellow after the pictures

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed1.jpg
Finish difficult to see on this pic except for the tons of RIDS.

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed2.jpg
Different angle, still had to see.

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed8.jpg
Swirls and RIDS galore!

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed9.jpg
Swirls from different angle

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed7.jpg
After 8 passes on both sides.

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed6.jpg
Still a bit different angle

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed5.jpg
Product could have worked longer, it had not flashed on either sides when I stopped.

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed4.jpg
Both sides visible here, a lot more gloss, but far from perfect.

http://www.esthetiqueautomontreal.com/d151vsspeed3.jpg
Still lots of damage remaining after 8 passes but a very definate improvement over pre-polishing.

Results:

Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Creme (D151)
No dusting

Product is very inexpensive compared to HD Speed

Long working time despite bad condition (windy). Was not spent after 8 oversize section passes.
Product finishes nicelly even with an orange pad.

Includes a sealant so it can really be used as a true All-in-One for 1 step correction

HD Speed
Dusts like crazy. After doing half the trunk there other side of the trunk has so much dust on it you could not see the paint anymore. It dusts even more than M105 which I thought was the dustiest product out there. On the other hand the dust seemed to stay low, my eyes gets watery when using M105 and I did not experience this with Speed.

Correction ability is a little bit better than D151. It's hard to see in the pictures but the side with HD Speed had a bit less swirls left.

Speed also includes a sealant for true All-in-one one step polish.

Speed is more expensive than D151.

So overall both are nice products. I could have corrected the areas to a higher level had I worked the product till it flashed but I wanted to see if one would outperform the other using a set number of passes. So in that regard HD speed seems to have the upper hand. The dusting is definatelly a very big deal for me, and I would rather use D151 just because of that. I forgot to take notice of the smells (that's not something I find important... all I can say is neither product stank).

goodinblack
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Well this review is just worthless without a smell test. Booooo.

Hahahhaha

Thanks for the review man.

sharpreflection
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Very nice review and some crazy shots of the tape line. Awesome man!!

VP Mark
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
I have used HD Speed a LOT over the years and have never had a single issue with dusting. Was your pad clean? That is just bizarre.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

AutowerxDetailing
10-02-2013, 09:47 PM
D151 never ceases to amaze me. Great product. Insanely cheap. Protection lasts for a solid couple months. From the results it looks like HD Speed is a capable AIO as well. Nice review!

Calendyr
10-03-2013, 07:53 AM
I have used HD Speed a LOT over the years and have never had a single issue with dusting. Was your pad clean? That is just bizarre.

Yep clean pad. Used exactly the same way as D151. Strange that it reacted differently than the way it did for you. Do you use microfiber pads or foam pads?

Have you used it outside? Maybe it's super sensitive to wind?

KillaCam
10-03-2013, 08:44 AM
D151 is one of my favorite products. Thanks for the review.

VP Mark
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Yep clean pad. Used exactly the same way as D151. Strange that it reacted differently than the way it did for you. Do you use microfiber pads or foam pads?

Have you used it outside? Maybe it's super sensitive to wind?

I have used it in wind, cold, extreme heat, and direct sunlight. I have probably used close to a gallon of this stuff over the last year.

How much were you using per application? HD products are much different because less is truly more. You do not prime the pad, and only need 3/4 pea sized drops every time you charge the pad.

Calendyr
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I have used it in wind, cold, extreme heat, and direct sunlight. I have probably used close to a gallon of this stuff over the last year.

How much were you using per application? HD products are much different because less is truly more. You do not prime the pad, and only need 3/4 pea sized drops every time you charge the pad.

Description of amount used is in the first message. So that must be it, used too much I guess. I primed the pad with the product and used 2 nickel size drops. I was working an oversized section though...

Product still did a good job, if using less would not produce dusting then it might be Superior to D151 except for the price. D151 is about half to a quarter of the price. I only purchased 32 ounces of HD Speed vs 128 ounces of D151 so price per ounce is WAY lower on the D151. Cost me almost the same price for the 32 ounces vs the 128 ounces!

RhetoricMixes
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Ive used Speed a few times and ive never encountered dusting either. Even with a primed pad, weird.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Priming the whole face of the pad is NOT recommended with HD Polishes. 5 pea sized drops initially on the outer edge, then 3 drops thereafter. Clean the pad frequently. Try it this way nod report back on the dust. Most high end professionals do not use above speed 4 on the Rupes 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Calendyr
10-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Ok I will try that.

Why would you slow down the polisher to speed 4 for defect removal?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Why would you slow down the polisher to speed 4 for defect removal?
With the large throw, the Rupes doesn't need to be used at speed 6. Plus, it's easier on the machine and pad. Might finish better, too. If you get better results on speed 6, by all means, use it!

Dellinger
11-08-2013, 03:52 AM
Calendyr,

Interesting feedback regarding your experiences with 151/ Speed.

I have had the exact opposite findings.

With D151...
I had tremendous dusting on a 2004 GMC Yukon, beige metallic. Barely got 3 section passes with heavy pressure, fast arm speed and small sections (18"x18".) Was using a traditional D/A (PC style) speed set to 6, 5.5" B&S orange pad, non-primed. It could have been the paint (severely neglected with the owner admitting that he had never waxed the vehicle in his 6+ years of ownership) sucking in the liquid. I had to use 2 pads per panel because the pad was just saturated from 151. I couldn't dial it in and have yet to work with it since. (Open to any feedback on this from you since you had a great work time with the liquid.) The results were great... it just looked like it snowed on every part of the vehicle. Knocked out some Type 1 water spots, some med. swirls, and probably filled some of that too. Didn't really do an IPA wipe because... the dude was selling it anyway.

With Speed...
I worked it on a black, Ford F150. Traditional D/A, 5.5" green, B&S pad, medium pressure, medium arm speed on speed 5. I made 7 section passes on each section... could have worked it a little bit longer. No dusting and I didn't prime the pad. I started with 6 small, pea sized drops, next section was 4 small, pea sized drops... 3 small pea sized drops every section after. Changed pads every panel. Cut was ok... not the same as 151 (for me, BUT the pad wasn't the same so I couldn't expect it to be anyway.) I have since tried Speed with an orange B&S pad and it doesn't seem to cut like 151 does.

For what it's worth...
-Dellinger

tbnielsen
11-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the review :) Interesting how experiences can vary with the same products.

With D151...
I had tremendous dusting on a 2004 GMC Yukon, beige metallic. Barely got 3 section passes with heavy pressure, fast arm speed and small sections (18"x18".) Was using a traditional D/A (PC style) speed set to 6, 5.5" B&S orange pad, non-primed. It could have been the paint (severely neglected with the owner admitting that he had never waxed the vehicle in his 6+ years of ownership) sucking in the liquid. I had to use 2 pads per panel because the pad was just saturated from 151. I couldn't dial it in and have yet to work with it since. (Open to any feedback on this from you since you had a great work time with the liquid.) The results were great... it just looked like it snowed on every part of the vehicle. Knocked out some Type 1 water spots, some med. swirls, and probably filled some of that too. Didn't really do an IPA wipe because... the dude was selling it anyway.

I've used close to half a gallon of D151, and I believe I've only had any dusting on old worn out paint, so I think you are right in that the paint might have sucked up the liquid/lubricants. The dusting has probably also been partly old paint shaved off.

Normally D151 has been very smooth for me to work with, with very little or no dusting. I've used it quite a bit on rotary, and there the product does seem to almost disappear after 3 or 4 passes, leaving only a slight film to wipe off. Another observation I've done with D151 is that I find that I need to use more product on the pad than I do with a "normal" polish like e.g. M205, almost twice as much I'd say.