PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of "New Car Smell"

Pages : [1] 2 3

garyg7133
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I have a friend who recently purchased a new car and is having SEVERE allergic reactions to the "new car smell" of the vehicle. She is very sensitive to odors such as perfumes, cleaning products and deodorants . She asked me about getting rid of the new car smell and I am a t a loss because of her problem with cleaning products. I contacted the person that I send my vehicles out to when ozone treatment is needed and he said that it would likely not work because it is a chemical smell and not organic. Anyone have any non-odor-intrusive ideas on how I can help her out on this? The car has been sitting in her garage since she bought it with the exception of her husband taking it on a long drive . Any help is greatly appreciated.

greatwhitenorth
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
The problem is, "new car" isn't a scent they add to the vehicle. It's the smell created by the new fabric, carpet, metal etc, and the new plastic can "breathe" out for weeks

HateSwirls
10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
This is the first time I ever hear someone have a problem with a new car smell.
Not sure what he could do about it, maybe leave the windows down when he can.
As said, it's in the fabric and don't see how you could get rid of the smell.
Too bad he can't enjoy the new car smell, that's the best part of owning a new car IMO:)

Bromo
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Park the car with the windows down and doors unlocked downtown, preferably in an alley; homeless people will inhabit the vehicle and annihilate that new car smell.:joking:
In my experience, heat can accelerate the off-gassing of these fumes. Consider parking the car in the sun with the windows cracked open for ventilation.
Your friend probably has problems with other allergens, in which case she may want to ask her doc about Nasalcrom.

af90
10-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Would something like an odor bomb work? But it seems if it's chemically linked there isn't much other than wait it out unfortunately.

Although make sure it's the new car smell and not some other environmental factor.

02xtreme07SS
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
New car 'smell' is just something that literally has to run it's course. You can't really hide nor remove it. It's typically generated by the plasticizers and chemicals out-gassing from the dashboards, doorpanels, seat foam. It's not so much from the fabrics as it is the hard, non-metallic, interior parts. As the interior warms, the smell will increase. Eventually the bulk of the out-gassing will cease. This is usually the time that we all cry about our cars not smelling 'new' anymore. The reality is that the 'new car smell' isn't very healthy.

New car smell is toxic, study says: Which cars are worst? - HealthPop - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57378591-10391704/new-car-smell-is-toxic-study-says-which-cars-are-worst/)

HateSwirls
10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
New car 'smell' is just something that literally has to run it's course. You can't really hide nor remove it. It's typically generated by the plasticizers and chemicals out-gassing from the dashboards, doorpanels, seat foam. It's not so much from the fabrics as it is the hard, non-metallic, interior parts. As the interior warms, the smell will increase. Eventually the bulk of the out-gassing will cease. This is usually the time that we all cry about our cars not smelling 'new' anymore. The reality is that the 'new car smell' isn't very healthy.

New car smell is toxic, study says: Which cars are worst? - HealthPop - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57378591-10391704/new-car-smell-is-toxic-study-says-which-cars-are-worst/)

Interesting

Marc Hufnagel
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Bottle it and send it my way!

danieledwards12
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I love the "new car" smell as well.. and you cant duplicate that sent either. none of the air fresheners that claim to be that sent smell nothing like it in my opinion.

garyg7133
10-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Had a feeling this was going to be a tough one. She has it parked in the garage with the windows open. I may suggest as above to park it outside with the windows open just a crack and let heat do what it does and hopefully accelerate the process.

02xtreme07SS
10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Had a feeling this was going to be a tough one. She has it parked in the garage with the windows open. I may suggest as above to park it outside with the windows open just a crack and let heat do what it does and hopefully accelerate the process.

Parking outside would be her best bet at this point because heat should accelerate the process.

VP Mark
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
DrivePur treatment. Problem solved!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

GenesisCoupe
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Would something like an odor bomb work? But it seems if it's chemically linked there isn't much other than wait it out unfortunately.

Although make sure it's the new car smell and not some other environmental factor.

odor bomb wont work as it has a smell to it, no matter which one you get.

I say just let the car vent..or smoke a cigar and bam.

FUNX650
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Had a feeling this was going to be a tough one. She has it parked in the garage with the windows open.
I may suggest as above to park it outside with the windows open just a crack and

let heat do what it does and hopefully accelerate the process.

^^^Then what "type"/condition of interior materials are you left with?^^^

Then there will also be the necessity to remove the unearthly-appearing film that's continually accumulating
upon the interior's auto-glass panes' surfaces...Until all outgassing and contaminates gathering has ceased.

Also:
What solvent, with its particular "smell" (if any), will be introduced and added to its fellow
interior-chemicals'-"smells"...while being used to clean that aforementioned film?

A conundrum-and-a-half...Allergies: Never to be taken lightly!!

Bob

Marc Hufnagel
10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Call me odd but Ford and Honda / Acura are my fave new car smells Seriously