PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Conundrum

Cyclesafe
10-01-2013, 11:23 PM
When confronted with replacement of two semi-expensive (Lexus RX300 and BMW 330i), low mileage (65k, 55k), but 12+ year old, always garaged, very good condition cars, I considered rennovation instead. I found this forum and the "how-to's" on Autogeek and between 4 orders, spent nearly $1000 on gear. Now, this is cheap compared to even the first year depreciation on two "equivalent" new cars, but my problem is that I just don't know how to stop. So far I have no regrets from my purchases; the improvements to this juncture have served to (somewhat) abate the lust for "new".

BUT after upgrading my garage lighting with 20 T8's, I can now see the RIDS remaining after the Wolfgang twins. I can see minor cataracts in my headlights, small pits in my windshield, and pervasive road rash around the grills. To fix these would mean doubling down with a more aggressive compound, a headlight restoration kit, a chip repair kit, and still more tubes of soon-to-be-dried-up touch-up paint. But then what? When does one say "Enough!". They're just cars and old ones at that: the scratches, the pits, and the chips are the patina of LIFE.

So I spend my evenings building BMW's on BMW USA's website, then filling my Autogeek.com wish list with another $200 slug of products. Round and round I go. I feel as if I am addicted to crack.

wdmaccord
10-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Haha...been there my friend. Still kinda there. Just have to be honest with yourself in that the cars' paint is what it is. I did my 2003 Accord for the first time and found out half the hood had clearcoat failure...that I couldn't even see before I detailed it. Sometimes you clarify the top on cars that old and you find stuff underneath that is actually worse. My daughter has that car now and has trashed it in a matter of 6 months, so I'm not detailing it anymore. I use it as my guinea pig car to try out new products or processes though.

BTW, the cars look great in that photo...just stop getting so close to them. :)

07gtcs
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
With those miles....keep them! They probably look better than 90% of the new cars out there today. Plus how would you feel when you see the fist set of road rash on your new expensive car? I am in the same delema of taming the want of new over keeping my 10yr old perfect working order truck with 65K on it.

Cyclesafe
10-02-2013, 10:05 PM
For some reason I stopped into the BMW dealership in Encintas Ca this morning. Before I closed the door of the Lexus, I was sized up by a salesman and lead to the X3's. They sure are sweet.

But then the sell: special deals on financing, loyalty rebate, great deals etc etc. The guy was just doing his job, but it reminded me just what a PITA it is to buy a new car. I beat a hasty retreat noting that my lack of enthusiasm for the process is telling me what I want to know.

Cheaper to keep her. And you're right 07, after a year the new car will be just another old car with road rash and a couple of dings on the doors. Better to wait until there is a more compeling reason to buy a new car...

custmsprty
10-02-2013, 10:09 PM
They look awesome for thier age, just forget about the small stuff. Their your daily's and they have held up well.

Davidle1787
10-03-2013, 04:46 AM
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/197431_592247164123055_764629536_n.jpgYour cars look great for their age! I am also from San Diego (the college area.. SDSU) and if it makes you feel any better, go by the parking structures and check out the brand new BMW's, Mercedes, AUDI's and even Skyline GTRs. Your car looks far more presentable and theirs barely have seen 1000 miles. My '99 Honda Civic has far more luster than any of those kids have ever seen.... Keep up the great work! My '99 has CC failure on the hood (pigeon footing), front bumper and the roof.

EddieF
10-03-2013, 06:25 AM
When confronted with replacement of two semi-expensive (Lexus RX300 and BMW 330i), low mileage (65k, 55k), but 12+ year old, always garaged, very good condition cars, I considered rennovation instead. I found this forum and the "how-to's" on Autogeek and between 4 orders, spent nearly $1000 on gear. Now, this is cheap compared to even the first year depreciation on two "equivalent" new cars, but my problem is that I just don't know how to stop. So far I have no regrets from my purchases; the improvements to this juncture have served to (somewhat) abate the lust for "new".

BUT after upgrading my garage lighting with 20 T8's, I can now see the RIDS remaining after the Wolfgang twins. I can see minor cataracts in my headlights, small pits in my windshield, and pervasive road rash around the grills. To fix these would mean doubling down with a more aggressive compound, a headlight restoration kit, a chip repair kit, and still more tubes of soon-to-be-dried-up touch-up paint. But then what? When does one say "Enough!". They're just cars and old ones at that: the scratches, the pits, and the chips are the patina of LIFE.

So I spend my evenings building BMW's on BMW USA's website, then filling my Autogeek.com wish list with another $200 slug of products. Round and round I go. I feel as if I am addicted to crack.

For the minor cataracts on you're headlights, you can use an orange pad and some m205, followed by a sealant and that should clear them up.