PDA

View Full Version : Noob product questions

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 01:18 PM
So I'm certainly a new member and poster, but I've been doing a lot of reading and researching over the past 6 months or so. I'm a hobbyist detailer and just looking for some suggestions for personal use. I've got two vehicles that I'm planning to keep for a while...

1) 2004 Acura RSX; Vivid Blue Pearl newly painted (~45 days ago)

2) 2007 Ford Explorer; Silver

I've been wanting to get a 7424 for a while, but wasn't at the point that I really wanted to dive that deep. Since getting my car back from the paint shop I really want to take good care of it and hope that it (the car as well as the paint) lasts for a long time.

Having said that, I have been watching a number of the detailing videos - specifically those on the 7424 as well as those regarding the Pinnacle products and was hoping to get either verification or other recommendations on products (pads, polishes, etc).

I was looking at the purchase of LC pads; first for the Acura, since it's freshly painted it really doesn't any swirls yet or RIDS, but there are some paint imperfections. I've tried to some spot claying on some of the paint spots, but suspect that compound/polish may be needed to take care of them. Hoping to take the minimal approach, I was thinking of using the white LC polishing pad and some of the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and see what that does first.

For the Explorer, I really need to take a deeper look, but I'm almost certain that it has some swirls and probably some RIDS. So, I was going to use a orange LC pad with the Pinnacle ASR, then a white pad with Pinnacle AFP.

For both vehicles I was going to use the Pinnacle liquid souveran wax.

I figure that these may be very different in terms of paint and I know that I don't really know what to expect from either vehicle yet. Any input that you guys are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

cleanmycorolla
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Pinnacle Cleansing lotion is a paint cleaner, not a cut polish, so it wont cut much if any imperfections out of the one car you're using it on.

Also, check the threads about first time details, lots of good advice.

Also, you dont have a polisher yet? If so I wouldnt get LC pads as you need a polisher for most of the sizes.

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Pinnacle Cleansing lotion is a paint cleaner, not a cut polish, so it wont cut much if any imperfections out of the one car you're using it on.

Also, check the threads about first time details, lots of good advice.

Also, you dont have a polisher yet? If so I wouldnt get LC pads as you need a polisher for most of the sizes.

Understood. The imperfections I am speaking of are very minor (to me anyway). I know plenty of people who would never notice them. I figured it would be best to start with something of minimal cutting power, and move up from there as needed.

I'll definitely do some searching for some of those first time detail threads. I suppose I was really just looking to see if those products were suitable for the vehicle(s) listed. I'm just trying to avoid a situation where I end up buying products that don't provide results... or are the wrong products all together.

Sorry I wasn't more clear; I didn't want to get a 7424 before - knowing that I needed paint and body work to be done. Now that it's been painted I'm looking to get one and associated 'tools'... So I'd be getting the LC pads with the purchase of the 7424XP. I don't have the time (read as too lazy) to try and do advanced polishing by hand; especially after reading this thread yesterday: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20257-man-versus-machine.html

cleanmycorolla
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Understood. The imperfections I am speaking of are very minor (to me anyway). I know plenty of people who would never notice them. I figured it would be best to start with something of minimal cutting power, and move up from there as needed.

I'll definitely do some searching for some of those first time detail threads. I suppose I was really just looking to see if those products were suitable for the vehicle(s) listed. I'm just trying to avoid a situation where I end up buying products that don't provide results... or are the wrong products all together.

Sorry I wasn't more clear; I didn't want to get a 7424 before - knowing that I needed paint and body work to be done. Now that it's been painted I'm looking to get one and associated 'tools'... So I'd be getting the LC pads with the purchase of the 7424XP. I don't have the time (read as too lazy) to try and do advanced polishing by hand; especially after reading this thread yesterday: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20257-man-versus-machine.html

The products are more than suitable, just remember technique is key to all of it. If you follow properly like Mike explains you'll be fine.

As far as determining what products are best for your paint, no two paint systems are the same. So always do a test spot least agressive method and go from there. :)

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
The products are more than suitable, just remember technique is key to all of it. If you follow properly like Mike explains you'll be fine.

As far as determining what products are best for your paint, no two paint systems are the same. So always do a test spot least agressive method and go from there. :)

Regarding the paint, that's about what I figured... I guess I wasn't sure if there would be any different products suggested for the silver vs. blue pearl. But as you said, I'm sure the products are more than suitable.

I've certainly understand the reasoning for doing test spots and such... I've got a follow up question there. When you are testing a pad/product combination to see if it's suitable or not... let's say I do start with the white pad and some cleansing lotion first (mainly for prepping the paint for wax, but possibly to address some of the MINOR paint flaws as well). If that's not enough and I need more cutting power to address those flaws, should I move to the same product with an orange cutting pad or go to using a different product as well (ASR/AFP)? And as far as trying the various combinations to determine the least aggressive, I suppose that I should have an ample amount of pads available (at least 2-3 of each type), as to not mix products on a single pad (or spend some time cleaning them)... Right?

cleanmycorolla
10-01-2013, 04:57 PM
You're over thinking this way too much. First no paint cleaner will give you any cut. Second, if using a paint cleaner doesn't satisfy you then move to a light polish with a polishing pad. If the fine polish and fine pad don't work. Try a fine polish and more aggressive pad. If that doesn't work heavy polish and heavier pad. Key is always go least aggressive first. Don't make it too over complicated :)

As far pads I'm a bad person to ask. I use like 15 total pads on a car. I always have plenty clean ones handy. But 3-4 for each polishing stage sounds good

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-01-2013, 05:29 PM
If you use a paint cleanser with no cut with a pad that has cut you are bound to introduce micro marring. I wouldn't use anything heavier than a white pad with cleanser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 08:42 PM
You're over thinking this way too much. First no paint cleaner will give you any cut. Second, if using a paint cleaner doesn't satisfy you then move to a light polish with a polishing pad. If the fine polish and fine pad don't work. Try a fine polish and more aggressive pad. If that doesn't work heavy polish and heavier pad. Key is always go least aggressive first. Don't make it too over complicated :)

As far pads I'm a bad person to ask. I use like 15 total pads on a car. I always have plenty clean ones handy. But 3-4 for each polishing stage sounds good

What do you think I am over thinking or over complicating? I think I said the same with regard to beginning with the least aggressive and moving up from there as needed. As you mentioned, if the paint cleaner doesn't satisfy me, I'd move up to a fine polish with a polishing pad, etc.

The only additional thing that I asked about about the testing portion and using product(s) with pads. All I was asking is if I'd need to swap to a new polishing pad, as opposed to using the same polishing pad that I just tested the paint cleaner with. Again, assuming that it would be best not to mix product(s) on the same pad. Right?

If you use a paint cleanser with no cut with a pad that has cut you are bound to introduce micro marring. I wouldn't use anything heavier than a white pad with cleanser.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Thanks for the info regarding the micro marring - I'll be sure not to do that.

ski2
10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread before you order a PC http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/71104-normal-pc-7424xp.html

Have never had these type of issues with the Griots Garage Polisher with 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. The extra torque makes it so easy to use and it has a lifetime warranty.

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread before you order a PC http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/71104-normal-pc-7424xp.html

Have never had these type of issues with the Griots Garage Polisher with 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. The extra torque makes it so easy to use and it has a lifetime warranty.

I'll read through all that thread in the morning...

Not to dismiss the information, but I do a fair amount of woodworking and own a decent amount of Porter Cable and Delta tools (under the same corporate umbrella since 2000); I just had a 12' x 24' workshop built to do more (picture below). I'm very comfortable with their products and customer service.

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/64/2nf9.jpg

01GreyStangGT
10-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I think you would like a synthetic on the silver Explorer. Blackfire Wet Diamond or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. They work better for lighter colors like silver. The souveran will probably look great on the Acura, though I have heard it's more of a show car wax, not that durable.

drvnbysound
10-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I think you would like a synthetic on the silver Explorer. Blackfire Wet Diamond or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. They work better for lighter colors like silver. The souveran will probably look great on the Acura, though I have heard it's more of a show car wax, not that durable.

This is exactly the type of response I was looking for when I was asking about what products would work better on each vehicle and it's respective color. I know I've read about various waxes being better for deeper colors like blacks or reds, but really had no idea what may work better for lighter colors.

It just so happens that I purchased some of the Blackfire Wet Diamond about a month ago for the Explorer, but have just had too many things come up since then to be able to work on it. The Explorer will probably be the first to be fully detailed; the Acura is my DD and after all the $$$ I just spent on paint and body work it won't be the first that I work on with the 7424 ;)

Regarding the Acura, you mention that Souveran may be more of a show car wax and not as durable; the product page (http://www.autogeek.net/pinliqsouvwa.html) says that it can last up to 4 months. As I just mentioned above, it is my DD, so I'm not necessarily going for a full show car finish, but I definitely want something that looks good. Is there anything else that you would recommend instead?

mspaulding1993
10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
im a novice at anything other then the old paste wax but i am using pinnacle signature series II wax and loves the way it looks. not sure about durablity as i try to wax at least 1x a month. at end of the month it is still has good beading. it is my dd driven 92 miles a day to work

ski2
10-02-2013, 07:15 AM
No one is saying that PC doesn't make quality tools it's just that the PC DA doesn't have the power/torque of the Griots -- correction of auto paint requires speed and pressure and the surfaces are often curved and the PC just can't spin the pad the way the GG does.