PDA

View Full Version : 1st detail w/ro polisher

barkeater
10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Well, I am expecting my shipment from AGO containing a couple pads that I will need to do my first ro polisher detail on my car. been waiting for this day almost all summer. A little nervous. I'll post up pics, but its a silver car and it is in fair shape so difficult to photograph esp. since it is a bit overcast today. wish me luck!

Mike Phillips
10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Good luck!

:dblthumb2:

Ray@Autogeek
10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Good luck! :)

barkeater
10-02-2013, 12:31 PM
not even 1/2 way done and exhausted. Agh. Also, stupid sun keeps coming out. Alright, enough complaining. Time to push on :)

MrCleanit
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Practicing on the rotary right now as well. But, not my car! Lol got myself a couple junk panels to practice on. Good luck!

barkeater
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
well, finished after working about 8 hrs not including wash and prep time. Learned a few things and had a few faux pas.

Used WG swirl removal kit, and WG paint sealant. lc da ccs orange pad for the swirl removal and white for the glaze. used a red pad for the sealant (by hand).

First, I did tape off along all edges of trim and seams. The thing with that was I had restored my headlights in the spring using a technique I found here using spar urethane which worked well. However, when removing the painters tape some of the coating came off too (grrrrr).

Second, used a little of the swirl removal to polish headlights earlier this year but still thought had plenty left to do the job (started with 8 oz). Turns out I didn't. Was still able to do almost every panel except for the rear bumper which was painted earlier this year so not much scratches there anyhow.

Third, been waiting patiently for a time were the weather was overcast but not raining. morning cooperated but afternoon was more sun than not. just had to deal with it.

Fourth, working with the sealant for the first time. probably should have just used a mf towel and not used the red pad. seems like a lot of the product was absorbing into the pad and maybe used too much just trying to keep a working amount on the surface of the pad. Also, when done, threw the pad into a bucket with water and pad cleaner along with the other pads. The sealant is not water soluble (duh) and made a big mess. Likely have to throw the red pad out unless someone has suggestion how I can clean the sealant out.

Finally, I was not looking for perfection, and feel that I did not rush through the steps. It was a lot of work. The results were so-so. My car was in moderate shape and still have minor scratches.

I'll post a few pictures later.

barkeater
10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/bmurray716/VW/image.jpg (http://s954.photobucket.com/user/bmurray716/media/VW/image.jpg.html)

dcjredline
10-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Looks good in that pic!!! Nice

barkeater
10-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks,

I redid the sealant the next day as I feel I was rushed for time the day before and did not do a proper application and allow sufficient time to dry before wiping off. I was exhausted, and the lc 5.5-inch pad I was using was sucking up all the product. This time I used a simple applicator pad. Worded much better.