PDA

View Full Version : tips / tricks for old lacquer paint?

touchdowntodd
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
so i did up a friends '67 olds vert ... car was a $50 earl schieb paint job before.. paint is TOAST .. i mean HORRIBLE.. but atleast i got a little shine on it .. (ill include a pic or two)

anyways...

the lacquer was DRINKING the 105/205 up .. like soaking in.. worked smaller areas and still was super hard to get off, almost impossible ..

then the nattys blue ... soaked in nicely in 90% of the car, but basically "sat" on the surface of the hood where the damage was worst.. i did 2 coats to get it to look even ..

also, pads were gunked up FAST .. assume that was the lacquer comin right off...

is this normal with lacquer? or was it just bad paint? Im doing a friends 51 merc tomorrow and the paint is MUCH more uniform, no real damage no "oily" look to it, ive buffed out lacquer like this before and its about a 10-12ft car right now, i know i can get it to a 5fter and get a lot more shine to it.. but i would of course love to see more improvement..

any old way .. lemme know ..

** pics is after 105/205 obviously not tape lined just mid way through the job (that haze is still there after wash/clay) .. before wax .. car had HUGE paint damage in front almost like an acid or perhaps tree sap YEARS worth .. .. obviously couldnt get this perfect but did vastly improve.. **

ill try to get more pics up

touchdowntodd
09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
oh crap .. heres the method i took

wash 2 bucket
clay bar whole car (ate a whole bar up nicely even with no top to do LOL)
105 / orange pad
205/ white pad
nattys blue

Evan.J
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
This article will be a very big help Meguars M7 is what you will need

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

touchdowntodd
09-30-2013, 09:48 PM
before hood.. during trunk

BillE
10-01-2013, 06:44 AM
As Evan said...check out the use of Meguiar's M-07.

That said, what you have done is GREAT!

I can hear the ads in my head, "...any car any color, $49.95."

Bill

touchdowntodd
10-01-2013, 07:56 AM
lol ya the cheap ol' paint job... presidents package $ for "2 coats laquer!" lol

i would love to try some M-07 on the car im working on today.. just cant seem to find anywhere local that sells any products and he needs it done for a date tonight with the wife and leaving for a car show tomorrow morning ... i explained what id LIKE to do, and he wants me just to polish it out

im scared to hurt the paint, so i think i wont be using 105 on this merc today ... just 205 and a white pad (ill do a test area to see what im workin with)

BillE
10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
On finding M-07...where are you located?

Do you have an 'auto paint store' nearby? Give them a shot.

Bill