PDA

View Full Version : Carnuaba vs Carnuba?

billboard2001
09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Hey guys,

So I've seen this different spelling of the wax around lots and lots, and no one ever seems to correct anyone else on it, so I figured I must be missing something here such as one has ingredients that the other does not. I've searched around here and other forums as well with no luck. It bugs me to hear people pronouce them the two different ways as well (Car-new-ah-bah vs Car-new-bah)
Can anyone shed some light on this? (I'm dreading that this is simply a preference of spelling/pronunciation)

-Bill

custmsprty
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
It's carnauba.

CDot
10-01-2013, 10:59 AM
It's carnauba.

+1

Dr_Pain
10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Car·nau·ba (kär-nôba, -nou-, -noo-)

1. A Brazilian palm tree (Copernicia prunifera) having densely waxy, fan-shaped leaves and toothed leafstalks.
2. A hard wax obtained from the leaves of this plant and used especially in polishes and floor waxes. Also called carnauba wax.

billboard2001
10-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Okay so what you're saying is that many people are just misspelling/pronouncing it? Well I always think that grammar will be the bain of society. People don't seem to understand that you can't just go making up words all willy-nilly.

Thanks for the clarification on the newb question guys!

hamlyn
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Okay so what you're saying is that many people are just misspelling/pronouncing it?

Yup. Exactly like you did.

FUNX650
10-01-2013, 12:09 PM
For myself...And:
In my "American"-Anglicization-usage of the "Oxford"-English language...
I'm usually a stickler for correct spelling/grammar...

But, IMHO:
Taking the spelling of wax obtained via the: Copernica Ceriferato (or is it the: Copernicia prunifera)...
to this extent is rather snuabish!

-I believe all of us: 'dance to a different drummer'.
In that respect:
Some of us are: "Carnatic"; While:
Some of us are: "Karnataka"

:)

Bob

billboard2001
10-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Yup. Exactly like you did.

I see what you did there. But I suppose I'm just illustrating my own point.