PDA

View Full Version : Went from no chips to micro chips in paint

rickpo12
09-30-2013, 06:15 PM
All, I am just trying to understand what caused this problem to prevent from happening in the future. I was working on a 1993 black Mercedes and the paint was really rough feeling. It showed no signs of flaking, it was just rough. I pulled out my Porter Cable 7424 with a white pad, and squirted an "X" pattern on the pad using Meguairs Mirros Glaze "Fine-Cut Cleaner". I worked a small area, abvout 24"x24" with about 8 passes. Before I began using the buffer I did not notice any signs of paint chips, but after I wiped the white dust off I noticed very small and find paint chips, about the size of a pencil point. When I used some wax later, the chips became more noticeable. What did I do wrong? Should I have started this project off using a clay bar to remove any contaminants?

Are their any tricks to help feel in the micro chips in the pant? Or at least try to mask or hide them a little?

Thank you

Rick

Evan.J
09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
sounds like crows feet to me

Does it look like this?

Hi Mike,

How about this?

http://imgur.com/7KChn.jpg
*** Image taken from: Cracks in paint(crows feet)? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/150263-cracks-paint-crows-feet.html)

It seems like they are calling it crows feet. Now would you consider that clear coat fracture or clear coat failure?

Thanks.

swanicyouth
09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
There was probably something filling in the chips, like Dr Color Chip, a glaze, or touch up paint. Polishing probably removed it. That's is what it sounds like, as polishing shouldn't cause chips.

There are many ways to try and fix it. Most others know about better than I.

BlackHawk
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
You getting rid of all the swirls and scratches along with the contamination revealed what was truly beneath all that. Classic really.

UglyBetty
09-30-2013, 06:31 PM
No expert here, but those don't look like "chips" to me, more likely a paint problem if I had to guess.

swanicyouth
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
No expert here, but those don't look like "chips" to me, more likely a paint problem if I had to guess.

The OP didn't post a picture of his chips.

billboard2001
09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
All, I am just trying to understand what caused this problem to prevent from happening in the future. I was working on a 1993 black Mercedes and the paint was really rough feeling. It showed no signs of flaking, it was just rough. I pulled out my Porter Cable 7424 with a white pad, and squirted an "X" pattern on the pad using Meguairs Mirros Glaze "Fine-Cut Cleaner". I worked a small area, abvout 24"x24" with about 8 passes. Before I began using the buffer I did not notice any signs of paint chips, but after I wiped the white dust off I noticed very small and find paint chips, about the size of a pencil point. When I used some wax later, the chips became more noticeable. What did I do wrong? Should I have started this project off using a clay bar to remove any contaminants?

Are their any tricks to help feel in the micro chips in the pant? Or at least try to mask or hide them a little?

Thank you

Rick

Any chance you could post a picture of your issues? I'm curious now as to what you are experiencing...

BlackHawk
09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Like i said before, you most likely had those chips before. But, due to scratches and whatnot they were not visable, but since now the areas surrounding the chips are scratch free, the one thing you do see is the chips. I had the same thing happen to me when i got my car. Just learn to live with it, it happens. Better than having a swirled up mess in my opinion.

cmoneyinc
09-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Like i said before, you most likely had those chips before. But, due to scratches and whatnot they were not visable, but since now the areas surrounding the chips are scratch free, the one thing you do see is the chips. I had the same thing happen to me when i got my car. Just learn to live with it, it happens. Better than having a swirled up mess in my opinion.
:iagree:

I have the same condition on my 2011 Mercedes. I would also describe as them as little "pinholes" or "tiny craters" (sound right?)
In my opinion, BlackHawk is 100% right. If there are any sections on this car you have not corrected yet, look very, VERY closely at the paint on the uncorrected panels. Look beyond the swirls if you can, using sufficient lighting like a Brinkmann led. Chances are you will notice those same defects hiding behind the swirls. And like BlackHawk said, when you correct the swirls, the other defects are a lot more noticeable. I also agree with him that those defects are the lesser of the evils, as you can only see those when you are right on top of the car in good lighting, whereas you can spot a swirled-out mess a mile away with a single ray of sun.:xyxthumbs:

rickpo12
09-30-2013, 11:36 PM
The best way to describe this is like cmoneyinc, little pin holes. I will ask the owner to take a good detailed photo so that I can post it. NOTE: All of this only happened on the top surfaces of the car (hood, trunk lid, and roof). The sides of the car did not have this problem.

I wonder if, since it is black pant, if there is some black colored wax, glaze that might help hide some of the pin holes.

Thoughts??

Thank you all again.

Rick

cmoneyinc
10-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Rick,
Does it look like the below pics? I took the pic from a different thread on this forum, and yes, it was on a Mercedes (2010). It's starting to seem like this might be a semi-common thing with Mercedes paint. I'm really hoping this is still just a normal defect and not some type of clearcoat failure. Anyway, here's the pics I found:

cmoneyinc
10-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Here is the thread I took the pics from:Benz paint - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71170&referrerid=59932)