PDA

View Full Version : Review-Collinite Double Coat wax

Pages : [1] 2

BigGar
09-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I have used this product regularly for the last year or so on many different cars of all colors that get used in many different ways. Daily drivers, show cars, vintage racers, antiques, new exotics, you name it.

I've always like the soft feel of a car that's waxed with carnuba, but have never found one that offered much durability, until Collinite. This stuff is ridiculous. It's as hydrophobic as anything I've ever used and just keeps looking great and beading water week after week, month after month.

I'll preface this with the fact that using this, or pretty much any other straight carnuba car wax requires a very smooth, very clean, properly prepped paint. You can't depend on this wax to clean anything off of your paint. There are no cleaners. No abrasives. No solvents.

That said, once your paint is ready, a coat or two, which goes on and comes off quite easily (don't let it dry forever and don't apply to hot paint in the sun-common sense...) and you will have a very happy car. I use a damp, clean cellulose sponge to apply, about a panel at a time. I use a fresh microfiber to remove about 99% of the wax. It gets built up on that one as I go. I use another fresh microfiber with a touch of de-ionized water spritz or quick detail spritz for a final going over.

It doesn't seem to attract dust like some carnubas do, and washing a car off is a breeze, as nothing sticks. A good rinse removes most of the dirt, and then mitting it off with soap doesn't seem to degrade the wax at all, which is very unlike most carnubas. It does say "detergent proof" on the old-school can.

This stuff has been around forever apparently. My dad's buddy, a Corvette restorer, asked me to try it out and give him my thoughts. I'm glad he gave me a can and I've continued to keep this stuff in my truck.

Gar

hernandez.art13
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Nice review, I have this wax also and it is a really nice wax.

swanicyouth
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM
So, do you think this wax looks as good as other less durable products? What have you used?

Evan.J
09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
:postpics:

:xyxthumbs:

Bill1234
09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
great to know, just bought a can for a person in the family who just bought a new truck

hernandez.art13
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
So, do you think this wax looks as good as other less durable products? What have you used?

I've used Collinite 476 and Menzerna Powerlock on my white Dodge.

I believe Power lock gave it a wetter look vs Collinite.

I wonder what BigGar thinks however.

WAXOFF
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's a red Mustang I did yesterday but with 915.

goldendodo19
09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
great to know, just bought a can for a person in the family who just bought a new truck

You should give the truck a proper detail bill

Bill1234
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
You should give the truck a proper detail bill

very funny goldendodo
Probably should, Car is being built in one of the Ford factories and then being shipped to dealer

FUNX650
09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
You can't depend on this wax to clean anything off of your paint.
There are no cleaners. No abrasives.
No solvents.

Collinite 476s is, indeed, a really good wax... :props:

But it does seem to have a solvent as one of its ingredients: Petroleum distillates---hydrotreated light.
(Or as we have come to know it: Kerosene.)

To be sure: It's a "low odor" solvent. But it's still a solvent.
And...With that it mind: Does kerosene have the ability "to clean"?

:)

Bob

MarkD51
09-30-2013, 06:29 PM

But it does seem to have a solvent as one of its ingredients: Petroleum distillates---hydrotreated light.

Bob

Sure it will clean. Whether it's Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Naptha, some sort of Petrol product, it might lift a little bit of tar, or other Petrol based nasties. But for cleaning the paint, no, it of course wasn't intended to do that.

All Carnaubas have to have some solvent carrier. Otherwise, you'd be dealing with something like straight paraffin candle wax.

I've let 476 totally dry, and it was easy off. It depends on paint, weather, and how much you're applying.

I got one can on ice, and I'm thinking it's time to pull out that can.

FUNX650
09-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Sure it will clean. Whether it's Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Naptha, some sort of Petrol product, it might lift a little bit of tar, or other Petrol based nasties. But for cleaning the paint, no, it of course wasn't intended to do that.

All Carnaubas have to have some solvent carrier. Otherwise, you'd be dealing with something like straight paraffin candle wax.

I've let 476 totally dry, and it was easy off. It depends on paint, weather, and how much you're applying.

I got one can on ice, and I'm thinking it's time to pull out that can.
I hope the OP takes note.

Bob

billboard2001
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM

Bob

Oh Bob your deep thought posts always make me step back and think :props:

mwoolfso
09-30-2013, 07:07 PM

a little muted but top with 915 and yur back in business :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

KillaCam
09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Haven't tried 476 but I do have 845 and 915 and they are amazingly durable and bead water like mad.