PDA

View Full Version : Tough market, new location, and more

rousher99
09-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post In almost 3 years lol. I recently moved to northwest Indiana so I could stay at a perminant location instead of traveling across the United States.(I work at refineries processing waste) I took a break from detailing on the side in late 2011 because I took this job and I worked mostly in Texas. Spring this year came around and I was doing my normal detail on my car when a neighbor asked if I would do his car. I sadly declined because of lack of doing the work for almost 2 years. Summer rolls around and I start getting calls from old friends, family and my old customers. I get excited and except to do them at a discounted price so I could re train myself, keep in mind my old customer base is 2 1/2 hours away from my new home so I was working out of my parents house. Anyway, I get about 10 cars in a month detailed and start getting the itch to start the business on the side again. So I start advertising with flyers and whathaveyou, start getting calls and all the calls end up like this "$150 for a full detail?! The guy that normally goes it charges me $80 and I personally think that is high!" Well I hate turning down work but I can't lower my prices. My friends and family think my prices are fair, but I can't get enough work from them to sustain. I have a feeling me not havi g a shop is a big deal. And trying to do mobile detailing g out of my dodge charger is a pain when I don't have a water or power source.
Are there any other detailers on here from northwest Indiana/ south Chicago area with similar problems? I figured with a refinery and Chicago close that I would be in the best place for business. My details on avarage pay me anywhere from $18-$30 per hour. Depending on if I'm buffing. And the rest of the money I put up for products and new equipment and eventually a truck with a mobile system on it. I guess it's just stressful. I'm a heck of a salesmen when it comes to this, just a tad impatient maybe? Starting up sucks, but this is horrible.
-Kory

rousher99
09-29-2013, 04:01 PM
I just noticed, this should be in the off topic section. Thought I taped that before I made this topic.

Vegas Transplant
09-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post In almost 3 years lol. I recently moved to northwest Indiana so I could stay at a perminant location instead of traveling across the United States.(I work at refineries processing waste) I took a break from detailing on the side in late 2011 because I took this job and I worked mostly in Texas. Spring this year came around and I was doing my normal detail on my car when a neighbor asked if I would do his car. I sadly declined because of lack of doing the work for almost 2 years. Summer rolls around and I start getting calls from old friends, family and my old customers. I get excited and except to do them at a discounted price so I could re train myself, keep in mind my old customer base is 2 1/2 hours away from my new home so I was working out of my parents house. Anyway, I get about 10 cars in a month detailed and start getting the itch to start the business on the side again. So I start advertising with flyers and whathaveyou, start getting calls and all the calls end up like this "$150 for a full detail?! The guy that normally goes it charges me $80 and I personally think that is high!" Well I hate turning down work but I can't lower my prices. My friends and family think my prices are fair, but I can't get enough work from them to sustain. I have a feeling me not havi g a shop is a big deal. And trying to do mobile detailing g out of my dodge charger is a pain when I don't have a water or power source.
Are there any other detailers on here from northwest Indiana/ south Chicago area with similar problems? I figured with a refinery and Chicago close that I would be in the best place for business. My details on avarage pay me anywhere from $18-$30 per hour. Depending on if I'm buffing. And the rest of the money I put up for products and new equipment and eventually a truck with a mobile system on it. I guess it's just stressful. I'm a heck of a salesmen when it comes to this, just a tad impatient maybe? Starting up sucks, but this is horrible.
-Kory

Rome was not built in a day.

jeof1000
09-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Do what you love... and what you great at... every big thing starts from small, and there's no shortcut to success.... goodluck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

greatwhitenorth
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Don't let competitors prices bring yours down, For every 1000 people that price shop for a $30 "detail" there will be a few willing to pay your price for quality and reputation builds from there

Cosmin
09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
marketing , time and patience ,
also an more realistic business plan ( adapted to your already new experiences and new location) may help you start fresh...

plus a website ....

rousher99
09-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been planning on getting a website and making a business plan. But with this being a "side job" I can't really pour in alot of money for some things. As for the business plan, I need to really sit down and draw one up. I woul assume google could point me in the right direction. But with me working 12-16 hr shifts at my full time job, my free time is slightly limited. But like you guys have said "Patience".

Mike Phillips
10-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I just noticed, this should be in the off topic section. Thought I taped that before I made this topic.

I moved it to Detailing 101 and out of the Detailing Boot Camp Class Pictures & Comments forum group.

:)