PDA

View Full Version : Washing and Drying induced swirl marks

Pages : [1] 2

1fastTbird
09-29-2013, 03:15 PM
OK. So I have done everything possible to prevent adding microfine scratches into my paint's surface and I cannot figure out how to prevent them. The vehicle is a torch red 2006 Ford Mustang.

I am using the two bucket method with grit guards and using a quality soap (XMT Gel Shampoo or Meguiars Gold Class) in the wash bucket with one ounce of ONR added to both buckets. I use two microfiber chenille wash mitts (one for higher panels, the other for lower,) Cobra Guzzler to dry. I wash all mitts, towels, etc throughly after each use.

When I use a spray wax after the wash, I use only new or like new, quality clean microfiber to apply and buff, and wash those separately after each use as well.

I cannot keep the paint free of new swirls/fine scratches. It seems like every time I touch the paint, I am adding new scratches. I do wash every other week or so as the car is a daily driver, but it is garaged when it is at home. I am note sure if it matters, but I use Wolfgang TSR, FG, and DGPS 3.0 as the polish/protection. Thanks to the recent sale, going forward I will top with DP Max Wax.

Do I just have to accept the fact that a frequently washed DD will only look "so" good and swirls are inevitable with bright red paint?

Evan.J
09-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I think what you have is soft paint.

Have you thought about blow drying the car?

Also have you thought about adding a foam gun and use it for a pre soak to life away any loose heavy dirt prior to using your nuts in the car?

1fastTbird
09-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes, I have thought about both steps; I just wasn't certain that they were necessary. I guess if I am seeking swirl free paint, then I do need to take the extra time and process on my end to allow the paint the best chance of looking good.

af90
09-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't think it's feasible to keep a car clean and not add any scratches. Especially on a daily driver, even paint corrected vehicles to 90% or so often need a polish once a year or so, granted a finishing polish will usually do the trick.

MajinAl
09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Get a cr spotless and you dont have to worry about drying or touching your paint.
Or some carpro hydro

When I didnt have those 2 I used cg wolly mammoth or carpro dry me crazy mf drying towels

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

BradsDetailing
09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Tell me about it

I have a Honda and love and hate washing it

Seems like whatever is done there are a couple more swirls. I almost have to use the carpro wash mitt and blow dry it because the mf wash mitt and guzzler aren't soft enough

dorkiedoode
09-29-2013, 03:48 PM
the only want to not get swirl marks is not touch it at all. which is impossible, so having a few swirls doesn't really bother me. since i detail it every year anyway.

Gsrjake
09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Paint correct the whole car, then opti coat 2.0 it. Or use a blower, problem solved. Like the others said it's just your paint.

goodinblack
09-29-2013, 04:16 PM
I think it is a unreal expectation on a DD.

That's the main reason I didn't do a 100% correction. The clear gets thinner every time.

HateSwirls
09-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I hear your pain.
I have issues with my black SS paint RAV , same as you. No matter what I do I get swirls.
All I do now Is do the best that I can and hope for the best.
I can't polish every three months so I just try and hide them with a glaze, if I see too many I buff it using m205 using a white pad.
Like you with a dark color just using a leaf blower isn't enough, it leave water streak and spots.
So I use the blower, let the car sit while then when mostly dry I use a QD and a soft towel, it's all I can do.
Suck I know.

af90
09-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Get a cr spotless and you dont have to worry about drying or touching your paint.
Or some carpro hydro

When I didnt have those 2 I used cg wolly mammoth or carpro dry me crazy mf drying towels

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Even with a CR Spotless you letting it air dry is risky because as the water hits the paint it picks up contaminants and dirt and can still water spot.

Paint correct the whole car, then opti coat 2.0 it. Or use a blower, problem solved. Like the others said it's just your paint.

Even with opti-coat it will still scratch, and washing it can still induce it, keeping a 100% swirl free finish is only possible if you don't touch your car and sit it in a car bubble or something crazy.

swanicyouth
09-29-2013, 04:51 PM
You have don't a lot, but there is some additional things that could be done/':

1. Polish to perfection and use OptiCoat.

2. Despite what's been said about the CR Spotless, my experience is that the paint dries nearly perfect and spot free. Glass can get some very easy to remove spots, but I think that's from the wash with regular water. I highly recommend a CR Spotless. I minimizes "paint touching"

3. Air Force or Master Blaster: will dry all the water in the cracks and the wheels, and can be used for touch free drying of paint.

4. Foam, dwell, rinse with a pressure washer. A hose won't cut it. Pressure washing removed visible dirt hose rinsing won't touch. Rinsing with a pressure washer after foaming removes almost all the dirt from the paint. I think this is the single most important thing you can do. You can even go a step further and coat the panel with a blanket of foam right before you touch it.

5. Switch shampoos. While the shampoos you listed are OK, I would switch to something a little heartier like Duragloss, Optimum, or Sonax.

I guess it can be as involved as your willing to get.

1fastTbird
09-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am going to pickup a foam gun next Spring. A pressure washer isn't in the cards, so I'll keep working on technique. I have a number of blowers and I'll start using air to do a majority of the drying as well.

Perhaps the best part is the empathy. For some reason misery loves company, haha.

Ryry11
09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
A foam gun will help, however, I believe that the single most important step is a power washer. I know it sucks hearing that, I felt the same way until I decided to bite the bullet on a cheap electric one in search of paint perfection.

Foaming and pressure washing before your wash blows off 90-95% of the stuff that causes wash induced marring. All you're left with is a thin dirt film that a carpro merino wool mitt can easily take care of.

When drying, the least amount of touching possible is key. A cheap leaf blower, blot the water dry, then if you have the means, purchase a metro sidekick, around the car once more while blotting dry, and swirl free paint every time.

Of course you're going to get a wash induced swirl or scratch every now and then, that's life. This will just keep it looking good as long as possible.

af90
09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
A foam gun will help, however, I believe that the single most important step is a power washer. I know it sucks hearing that, I felt the same way until I decided to bite the bullet on a cheap electric one in search of paint perfection.

Foaming and pressure washing before your wash blows off 90-95% of the stuff that causes wash induced marring. All you're left with is a thin dirt film that a carpro merino wool mitt can easily take care of.

When drying, the least amount of touching possible is key. A cheap leaf blower, blot the water dry, then if you have the means, purchase a metro sidekick, around the car once more while blotting dry, and swirl free paint every time.

Of course you're going to get a wash induced swirl or scratch every now and then, that's life. This will just keep it looking good as long as possible.

Which pressure washer do you have and what kind of reliability/price does it have?