PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper help...

Daven75
09-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Anyone know why this would happen? It happens no matter what, heavy or light rain, oddly it happens more with heavy rain. The cars a 2000 jeep cherokee (xj) with 150k miles, theres no wax or anything on the winshield, wipers are a day old.-
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gab0Roo1bT4]Jeep xj Wipers issue. - YouTube[/video]

Thanks,
Dave

TH3M B0N3Z
09-29-2013, 12:32 PM
I've had that happen many times. Put some Rain X on the windshield, the little $3 bottle of glass sealant, and your wipers won't bounce as much, if at all. And the Rain X helps water bead so nicely. Better visibility in the rain.

FUNX650
09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Over time..."being used and abused"...the actual assemblies holding your wiper-refills in place can become misshapen.

If your windshield wipers no longer conform to the contours of your windshield...
Replacing your wiper-assemblies may be a good option.

NOTE:
I've come across some glass "sealants" that will actually become
the root-cause of wiper-refills' chattering/squeaking.

:)

Bob

BTW: Are those frameless Bosch wiper-refills?

Daven75
09-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys, Ive tried several different products, nothing changed, I really do think the assemblies are just old. I'll have to rebuild it and replace the bushings.

As for the blades, nah these are the RainX Expert Fit Beam. I never get good wipers because...well...

Ok, long story short, I'm a storm chaser and I've tried em all. lol HONESTLY. if you take good care of them, the $5 wipers will last just as long as the expensive counterparts. So the reason I bought these is cause winters coming, I do alot of driving and I had my wipers freeze up too many times for me lol. SOOO I bought ones that wont really freeze up and SHOULD last me.

Random input for ya guys!

RandyD
09-29-2013, 04:51 PM
NOTE:
I've come across some glass "sealants" that will actually become
the root-cause of wiper-refills' chattering/squeaking.

:)

Bob

This happened to me after using Optimum Glass coating. Maybe I got some on the wiper blades. Will get new ones next time I get service done. Very frustrating as this is a new car.

TH3M B0N3Z
09-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, Ive tried several different products, nothing changed, I really do think the assemblies are just old. I'll have to rebuild it and replace the bushings.

As for the blades, nah these are the RainX Expert Fit Beam. I never get good wipers because...well...

Ok, long story short, I'm a storm chaser and I've tried em all. lol HONESTLY. if you take good care of them, the $5 wipers will last just as long as the expensive counterparts. So the reason I bought these is cause winters coming, I do alot of driving and I had my wipers freeze up too many times for me lol. SOOO I bought ones that wont really freeze up and SHOULD last me.

Random input for ya guys!

Try Bosch Marathon beam blade wipers. They're usually about 15 bucks each at Walmart, but they've always worked well for me, and I think I've probably had a few sets over a few years. I tend to change my wipers every year or so. The Bosch blades paired up with Rain X glass sealant has worked very well for me. I do get the occasional chattering on the glass, but that's only if I get spray wax on the glass by accident. I used Meguiar's D156 on the windshield recently and got that chattering, but once I went back over it with Rain X, I haven't really had an issue.

swanicyouth
10-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Is there any play in the wiper transmission?

I'm confused, did you replace the wipers or just put in some type of refill of the rubber part?

oldmodman
10-01-2013, 03:41 AM
I have a twenty year old Explorer. Same problem that you are experiencing. I tried all the usual fixes too.

Finally replaced both wiper arm assemblies with new ones from Rock Auto. At the same time I bought a pair of the Goodyear "buy one get one free" at Costco.
Total cost for everything. $25.00
No more squeaking, streaking, or lousy wiping.

Daven75
10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Yea, I replaced the wipers and nothing really helped, I fixed ALITTLE play in the assembly and it helped and I also adjusted the angle of the arms but there is still alittle noise. I need to replace the assemblies, plain and simple sadly.