PDA

View Full Version : Paint thickness and "mild" polishing

charlestek
09-29-2013, 09:52 AM
A good while back I had measured my paint thickness and came up with 110-130 micro meters. I had also had some issues with some tiny crow's feet fractures in different parts of the roof, hood and trunk, so I had former advice just to clay and wax the car.

The old advice I received with the paint thickness was to do mild to moderate polishing.

What is considered "mild" polish? I've got some Meguiars M205, some Merzerna polish (have to look up the grade), some Wolfgang Total Swirl remover, some Meguiars #9 swirl remover (which seemed to never remove anything).
I know I would be taking my chances with the crow's feet fractures.

Also, after claying, would not it be better to use full strength denatured alcohol or autobody wax and grease remover instead of the IPA?

Thanks,

Phil

charlestek
10-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Looked at http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg
as well as the autogeek chart.

The Mezerna I had was Power Finish. I decided to try that with an orange pad.
Seemed to clean and remove most of the light swirls, but there are definitely deeper swirls left. I'm not sure I want to chance using the Wolfgang Total Swirl remover as it is classified as a much more agressive product. I suppose I should try it on a small section.

I really don't know how much clearcoat the Wolfgang Total Swirl might remove. I have my paint depth guage. I'm sure ??? someone has done an analysis as far as how many microns heavy swirl remover removes.....