PDA

View Full Version : The Baggie test marred my paint

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bill220
09-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone else experience this?

I've been meticulous in how I wash my car and it has paid off. 6 months and no swirls/marring except in a few small areas.

In the process of cleaning the paint to reapply sealant I felt the paint with my bare hand it was smooth as can be. I then used the baggie test on a small area of the roof and hood and discovered that it had marred the paint in those areas. I ended up polishing the hood, roof and trunk lid with M205 and a white pad to remove them.

I won't be using that test on my paint again.

Anti chrome

Calendyr
09-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Hum... only way I can think it could marre the paint is if the bag is dirty or the paint is dirty. If both are clean, plastic should not have any roughness to it with the amount of pressure needed to do the baggie test (pretty much no pressure at all).

MarkD51
09-29-2013, 09:55 AM
I would think after a good wash, any contaminants still stuck to the paint at that point aren't going to be that easily dislodged by just doing a baggie test to inspect-feel the paint.

If I remember correctly, the last time I bought the Clay Magic Clay Bar, it even came with a plastic Glove in the Box, and this Glove was ultra ultra thin plastic.

Are you absolutely sure it was marring-scratching, and not perhaps "smearing" of a tree sap maybe?

This then sounds like some very soft paint if this is happening.

AutowerxDetailing
09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Almost every time I have performed a "baggie test" the car was so swirled out to a ridiculous point that you wouldn't be able to tell if the plastic was marring the paint or not.

For a fully corrected vehicle that is well maintained I see no need, nor would I recommend, performing a baggie test to check for contamination. And yes, I have experienced marring from a plastic ZipLock bag on 100% clean paint. It was so very slight you could only see it at just the right angle but it happens.

hernandez.art13
09-29-2013, 11:04 AM
What color is your vehicle Bill220?

ken tuep
09-29-2013, 11:12 AM
I use the cheap thin plastic sandwich baggies. No problems as of yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Pureshine
09-29-2013, 11:13 AM
It shouldn't mar the paint unless your pushing hard when doing it. All you have to do is lightly touch the paint with the bag to feel the dirt. I have never marred paint when doing it.

FUNX650
09-29-2013, 11:22 AM
6 months and no swirls/marring except in a few small areas.

I then used the baggie test on a small area of the roof and hood and discovered that it had marred the paint in those areas.

^^^Not the same "areas", I'll presume.^^^

Also:
You didn't say if you discovered any embedded-contaminates, or not...via "the baggie test".

Bob

goodinblack
09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I have never used that test. It has always been easier to feel for contamination for me simply running my fingers over it.

2old2change
09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
You are checking for above surface contaminates , not sanding a painted surface. A light touch is all that is needed for the test. Been doing this since 2005 and never seen it marr a surface. The thinner the bag the better. The clear wrapper from a pack of smokes will also work in a pinch.

SonOfOC
09-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I have never used that test. It has always been easier to feel for contamination for me simply running my fingers over it.

It can feel butter smooth with your fingers, but feel like sand paper once you put on the baggy.

FUNX650
09-29-2013, 12:46 PM

^^^Glad this method works for you!^^^ :props:

What determines the: "Accuracy" Of Human Sensory Perception

-Every Human has limits (can only run so fast, jump so high, go just so long without water)...
And those limitations, IMHO...include restrictions upon a Human's five senses.

In this scenario: Touch:

What are the mechanoreceptors that allow: "The Sense of Touch"; and which one(s) of those receptors would be
more responsible for sensing "texture"---as postulated by/when performing "the baggie test"?

Of course...
How these touch-sensations are relayed to the Human brain, and interpreted therein, play a significant perception-role.

Then there are those that are afflicted with neuropathy/paresthesia (count me, in that group):
What chance do they stand of 'feeling' any claying-worthy contaminates, without the necessary amplification
that's noted to be provided by, and through, said: [I]"Baggie testing"-protocol?!?!

:)

Bob

Bill220
09-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Hum... only way I can think it could marre the paint is if the bag is dirty or the paint is dirty. If both are clean, plastic should not have any roughness to it with the amount of pressure needed to do the baggie test (pretty much no pressure at all).

I think I pushed down too hard. The marring came right out with a light buff of M205

I would think after a good wash, any contaminants still stuck to the paint at that point aren't going to be that easily dislodged by just doing a baggie test to inspect-feel the paint.

If I remember correctly, the last time I bought the Clay Magic Clay Bar, it even came with a plastic Glove in the Box, and this Glove was ultra ultra thin plastic.

Are you absolutely sure it was marring-scratching, and not perhaps "smearing" of a tree sap maybe?

This then sounds like some very soft paint if this is happening.

The car is garaged, driven maybe a couple of times a week and I'm obsessive about keeping it clean. With my hand, I felt no roughness, which prompted me to use a baggie.

Almost every time I have performed a "baggie test" the car was so swirled out to a ridiculous point that you wouldn't be able to tell if the plastic was marring the paint or not.

For a fully corrected vehicle that is well maintained I see no need, nor would I recommend, performing a baggie test to check for contamination. And yes, I have experienced marring from a plastic ZipLock bag on 100% clean paint. It was so very slight you could only see it at just the right angle but it happens.

Yep, live and learn.

I use the cheap thin plastic sandwich baggies. No problems as of yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

I used Walmart baggies.

It shouldn't mar the paint unless your pushing hard when doing it. All you have to do is lightly touch the paint with the bag to feel the dirt. I have never marred paint when doing it.

Also:
You didn't say if you discovered any embedded-contaminates, or not...via "the baggie test".

Bob

I did not. Sorry about that. Smooth as a baby's butt.

Yeah, next time I will do that.

Bill220
09-30-2013, 07:05 AM

It's Dark Highland Green and it's EXTREMELY

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g358/bill2202/IMG_0522_zpsd2b24992.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/bill2202/media/IMG_0522_zpsd2b24992.jpg.html)

FUNX650
09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
It's Dark Highland Green and it's EXTREMELY

OK...I'll take a guess:

"and it's EXTREMELY"...green as some babies' butts? http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/ack.gif

Sorry about that!

:D

Bob