PDA

View Full Version : How to touch up black chrome

Spiney
09-28-2013, 12:06 AM
I made a beginners mistake and buffed over the black chrome ring around my door lock on my 96 SVT Cobra. Is there a spray on or brush only, or trick to tone down the chrome back to black chrome. It's a minor thing, but it bugs me and reminds me of a dumb mistake. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Vegas Transplant
09-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Black chrome is anodizing, and, or electroplating over nickel. Authentic Black Chrome is the latter. Nothing out of a can will be authentic black chrome.
As for tricks, if your answer can not be found here, then I suggest a metal finishing forum such as Caswell or finishingdotcom.

With the caliber of vehicle, and dedication to detail that you possess, I reluctantly offer as a cover-up: Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Chrome Black-out Coating Kit

Happy detailing... :buffing:

timscc
09-28-2013, 09:07 PM
To take the shiny chrome back to black chrome you could tint some clearcoat touch up with black paint. Apply the tinted clear over the ring. You could also remove the lock cylinder from the door and take it to a locksmith. They could replace the ring on the lock cylinder for you.

hernandez.art13
09-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I have zero knowledge in this. Just curious to know what happened. You polished black chrome and it turned into regular chrome.

Like polishing a satin flat black finish?