PDA

View Full Version : You are wasting Your Time and Money, All of You!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Darion
09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
So says my know-it-all of a brother-in-law. :dunno:

He is a super smart guy, really, but he looks down on the rest of us average folks. He asked why I bother to wax our cars and doesn't get why people would pay me to take care of their cars. His point is paint is so good today that protecting it just isn't necessary. Yet he has a shelf full of car care product mostly McGuire's in his garage. I asked him about why he has all the stuff and he said every once in a while he throws something on the cars. I don't get it. :confused:

I'll tell ya this, my dads 10 year old GXP Bonneville looks better than his 1 year old Volt. My dad is a master at detailing though which only proves my point, well to me anyway. :dblthumb2:

Thanks for the vent,

PC

goodinblack
09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Slap him.

Hard.

:)

JSou
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Cool story. What makes him so above us "average folk"?

wompasaurus
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
You should maintain one panel on his volt he can maintain the rest and lets see what it looks like in a few months hahahaha then he will understand

Calendyr
09-27-2013, 03:50 PM
This reminds me of a friend of mine.

He just purchased a brand new Toyota Matrix to replace his 10 year old Toyota Corolla.

I told him : "Let's take a day to put a sealant on your car, just buy the product and I will help you apply it so that the paint stays protected".

His answer was: "Well, there are good and bad sides to paint sealants... I don't think I want to put it on my car"...

I was really scratching my head with that comment. So I asked him what were the down sides because, really, I could not think of a single one...

Him: "Well, it's gonna take a few hours to clean the car and put that on. I would rather spend my time doing other things".

I was baffled, I still am. The guy spends I don't know say 30,000$ on a car and won't take 3 hours to make sure his car is protected... I just don't know what to answer to that...

slimnib
09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
You family member is correct if you are a three years and out person. Generally a once a mouth washing will keep a car looking nice for three years. If you lease a car you do not even need to worry about resale value.

I like a super clean car and will generally AIO it twice a year and wash it every two weeks. Under no circumstance will I pay some 300- 400 for a detail, unless I was selling a really high end car on the open market and it looked awful.

I know many of the members of this forum make a living from detailing, but it is the way it is.

Evan.J
09-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Get him one of mikes book let him read it from to back

I bet that will change his way of thinking.

Nice title got me to look!

c8n
09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
But I like wasting my time on my car....

Bunky
09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
He is taking advantage of the fact most cars have clear coat paint and at most angles look quite good. I just cringe when I see some high dollar cars (European stuff) at the local car wash but from 25 ft away they look great.

silverfox
09-27-2013, 04:34 PM
I agree to some extent that I've wasted a lot of time and money until I figured this all out. I discovered I don't need. 90% of the stuff I bought. I discovered touching the paint a little as possible saves me money. I discovered that although I like a nice looking car as much as the next guy , most people couldn't care less.

hamlyn
09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
We all have our passions. I just a small chunk on car care products this month for my two cars. It's a passion. In a few months I will move on to another hobby.

Some like nice watches and will spend hundreds of thousands on their time pieces: check out HM4 - Horological Machines - Machines - Maximilian Büsser and Friends (http://www.mbandf.com/machines/horological-machines/hm4-thunderbolt/#/intro)

Others like to golf and spends hundreds per 18 hole golf outings.

Some like high-end audio. Would you spend $6K on a CD player? $24K on a tone arm for a turntable (yes, turntable).

You can't justify it to anyone but yourself, and perhaps a few that hold similar interests. Isn't it for this reason that we all congregate on this and other similar forums?

Your brother may not buy into your attention to detail when it comes to auto detailing, but then again, does he have interests that he obsesses over that make you shake your head?

Meticulous-Detail
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
So says my know-it-all of a brother-in-law. :dunno:

He is a super smart guy, really, but he looks down on the rest of us average folks. He asked why I bother to wax our cars and doesn't get why people would pay me to take care of their cars. His point is paint is so good today that protecting it just isn't necessary. Yet he has a shelf full of car care product mostly McGuire's in his garage. I asked him about why he has all the stuff and he said every once in a while he throws something on the cars. I don't get it. :confused:

I'll tell ya this, my dads 10 year old GXP Bonneville looks better than his 1 year old Volt. My dad is a master at detailing though which only proves my point, well to me anyway. :dblthumb2:

Thanks for the vent,

PC

The Volt purchase sums up why is he that opinion about detailing. For one thing, I get more $$$ money on my trade-ins and lease returns then the average person. I use the condition of my vehicle as leverage.

Oh and tell him that a properly washed and sealed car get better MPG's/Watts because it makes the vehicle less wind resistant and therefore increase MPG's/Watts.

Darion
09-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Slap him.

Hard.

:)

I like the way you think! HA

Cool story. What makes him so above us "average folk"?

I see where ya goin. So look, ya ever meet that person, walk away and say to yourself, wow really smart guy/girl but kinda an azz, that's him. Great education and a really difficult high pressure career that he has achieved a lot doing. well, being smart doesn't mean he got his full share of common sense.

You should maintain one panel on his volt he can maintain the rest and lets see what it looks like in a few months hahahaha then he will understand

:xyxthumbs:

You family member is correct if you are a three years and out person. Generally a once a mouth washing will keep a car looking nice for three years. If you lease a car you do not even need to worry about resale value.

I like a super clean car and will generally AIO it twice a year and wash it every two weeks. Under no circumstance will I pay some 300- 400 for a detail, unless I was selling a really high end car on the open market and it looked awful.

I know many of the members of this forum make a living from detailing, but it is the way it is.

The last two cars he had were ten years old each and looked terrible. Maybe your onto something though, for some looking nice from a distance is good enough. It doesn't matter what the paint feels like or looks like up close.

BTW, where can I get $300-400 for a detail of most any kind? I don't detail for a living either, I detail cause I enjoy it and so I can take nice vacations each year. :dblthumb2:

Get him one of mikes book let him read it from to back

I bet that will change his way of thinking.

Nice title got me to look!

Knowing him I sort of doubt it.

But I like wasting my time on my car....

:iagree: Me too!!!

Darion
09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
We all have our passions. I just a small chunk on car care products this month for my two cars. It's a passion. In a few months I will move on to another hobby.

Some like nice watches and will spend hundreds of thousands on their time pieces: check out HM4 - Horological Machines - Machines - Maximilian Büsser and Friends (http://www.mbandf.com/machines/horological-machines/hm4-thunderbolt/#/intro)

Others like to golf and spends hundreds per 18 hole golf outings.

Some like high-end audio. Would you spend $6K on a CD player? $24K on a tone arm for a turntable (yes, turntable).

You can't justify it to anyone but yourself, and perhaps a few that hold similar interests. Isn't it for this reason that we all congregate on this and other similar forums?

Your brother may not buy into your attention to detail when it comes to auto detailing, but then again, does he have interests that he obsesses over that make you shake your head?

He sure does, I guess I just never thought to break it down for him and tell him how stupid it is. :D

tswitz
09-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Oh and tell him that a properly washed and sealed car get better MPG's/Watts because it makes the vehicle less wind resistant and therefore increase MPG's/Watts.
And a washed & waxed car = no static electricity on the paint which could short circuit his Volt ;) :xyxthumbs: