PDA

View Full Version : What is that BMW smell?

Pages : [1] 2

GenesisCoupe
09-27-2013, 08:32 AM
In most of the BMW's that i detail i often experience the "BMW smell". For those who know what i am talking about, it is amazing and i want my Hyundai to smell just like that!!!

I did read on another forum that it has something to do with the glue or fabrics that are used, however wouldn't that wear off after a few years? Even the 03's i've worked on had that smell. Most recently, an 08 m6 i did, had that smell too.

Any thoughts on that? Would it be the leather itself?

Thanks!

Dr_Pain
09-27-2013, 08:48 AM
The "BMW smell" does come from all the different materials they use, but I believe the more aromatic one you are referring to is the leather treatment and coating. It is very floral. I read one time that the Leatherique product line have tried to emulate that smell. Personally, I haven't found anything that reproduces that European leather smell (I smell it in Audi, BMW, and Mercedes)

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I read an article years ago (Car & Driver I think) that the car companies work very hard to have the interior of the car smell they way they want it to...and that may include smelling different from other cars. IIRC some of had to do how they processed the leather...wait, I found the article. If you go to the Car & Driver website and search on "new car smell" it's the only article that comes up, it's from 2003. I would link it but it's against the rules.

swanicyouth
09-27-2013, 09:02 AM
It's German quality.

KneeDragr
09-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Judging by the people I know that drive them Id guess the "BMW smell" is BMW Smell. (http://tinyurl.com/gw6rf)

j/k ;)

swanicyouth
09-27-2013, 09:16 AM
I read an an account once of an a American soldier in WW II claiming the German King Tiger tanks with the 88mm gun made a certain noise, and the gun even had a certain smell if you got close enough, that would instill a "sick to your stomach" feeling into allied soldiers (I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that)

GenesisCoupe
09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
I read an article years ago (Car & Driver I think) that the car companies work very hard to have the interior of the car smell they way they want it to...and that may include smelling different from other cars. IIRC some of had to do how they processed the leather...wait, I found the article. If you go to the Car & Driver website and search on "new car smell" it's the only article that comes up, it's from 2003. I would link it but it's against the rules.

i'll check it out, thanks!

It's German quality.

Someone drives a German car...... :bat: jk.

Judging by the people I know that drive them Id guess the "BMW smell" is BMW Smell. (http://tinyurl.com/gw6rf)

j/k ;)

Hah that's funny, may have to pick that up one day.

rjd598
09-27-2013, 09:59 AM
That's funny as I just picked up an e36 over the summer and I was shocked at how many people gave me that comment even the ones who weren't car enthusiasts lol

lyodbraun
09-27-2013, 10:25 AM

j/k ;)
:dblthumb2:thanks for that lol I just had to order two bottles of it oh it's gonna be hilarious using that at work ....LOL

BillE
09-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, "BMW" is short for, Bavarian Motor Works. Could it be sauerkraut?

I'm sorry, just in one of 'those' mind sets this morning.

Bill

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
09-28-2013, 08:35 AM
BMW makes cleaners, maybe that will help?

statusdetailing
09-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Like others said, BMW has a particular, amazing smell, but it isn't limited to BMW. I think it might be German cars. I've experienced this aromatic pleasure in Mercedes, BMW and Mini, and I'm pretty sure it's the same way in Audi.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
09-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Like others said, BMW has a particular, amazing smell, but it isn't limited to BMW. I think it might be German cars. I've experienced this aromatic pleasure in Mercedes, BMW and Mini, and I'm pretty sure it's the same way in Audi.

Seems to be a German thing then.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-28-2013, 09:26 AM
It is a German thing. It is very aromatic and pleasurable to drive or ride in a German automobile.

FUNX650
09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I believe, since I see many "plastic creatures" (common-place plastic surgery rejects);
comb-overs; and: those that are bejeweled/gold-chain-laden, bare-naveled, and the like...
Stepping out of many brands of cars...ie Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Chevy Corvettes, etc...

That there is an inherent smell that emanates from these vehicles from not having:
An automatic-ejection-seats-system...to rid themselves of all that is ugly!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/spit.gif

J/K

Bob