PDA

View Full Version : dp paint coat question

mspaulding1993
09-27-2013, 12:10 AM
hi love this forum
thinking about ordering dp paint coat and prep polish. my question are
dont have easy access to a garageand can do uder a canopy, will rain or mist affect the cure and how long before i can let tree sap, leaves, dust, etc. get on the coat?

thanks

MarkD51
09-27-2013, 12:35 AM
hi love this forum
thinking about ordering dp paint coat and prep polish. my question are
dont have easy access to a garageand can do uder a canopy, will rain or mist affect the cure and how long before i can let tree sap, leaves, dust, etc. get on the coat?

thanks

I have used the product, and while I don't profess to be anywhere near as smart as the chemist who formulated this product, I'll take an educated stab at it. Perhaps others like Nick will chime in with advice also.

I have done applications under my carport, no problems as far as that goes. I don't think it is necessary to then place the vehicle under some protective shell, or hide it away in a garage for days on end, but would also suspect like other coatings, or other sealants, whether they are wipe on, and wipe off, or wipe on and walk away types, that it is probably wisest to not wet the vehicle for a period of time.

It is said this product contains both ceramic, and polymer ingredients, so I would assume like such other sealant type products, this product probably also "air cures", and needs some prescribed time to fully cure.

Thus, it is probably a safe bet to advise, to not wash the vehicle, or let substantial amounts of dew form on the paint finish for a period of 8-12 hours. Dew of course does not fall from the sky onto things, it forms due to the dew point. This seems like just a common sense precaution to me.

As for dusts, leaves, tree sap, I don't think these will be issues to effect the coating after application. The coating is basically immediately dry on the paint right after the contact application with the paint, and I would say is probably impermeable to such quite quickly.

mspaulding1993
09-27-2013, 01:01 AM
thanks for the replybest bet would to have coat in earlier in day before temp drops then

MarkD51
09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
There's some videos floating around here of members applying some of the WOWA (Wipe on-walk away) Sealants like Blackfire Crystal Seal. Maybe you can find them, and watch how simple the application is.

DP Paint Coating I've found is basically no different than these to apply.
(I've so far used this product, WGDG Liquid Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, and Optimum Opti-Seal)

About the only notable differences versus these others I mention is the alcohol smell of the product, apparently an alcohol of some type-concentration is used as a carrier agent.

And how quickly the product flashes-dries, and is a little bit more difficult to apply in this regard IMO. As one tip, I would insure you do such a coating on an absolute windless day.

Another tip, is to be as "stingy" with this product as you possibly can be.
I feel that even more so than other WOWA products, this one will make you initially have a tendency to over-apply it. One spritz onto the paint should cover about a 2' square area minimum. The faster one works to apply, and quickly spread, the better IMO.

And like the other WOWA's I've found, one should then go back with a plush MF Towel and level-even the surface, eliminating any high spots, and the slight hazing that might occur. It can be hard to see sometimes.

This product, more than any others I mention will surely let you know where it has been applied, because the difference in slickness to the paint finish is quite considerable. This product is ultra slick.

With the MF towel, this might then serve as a guide-aid as to where the paint did not have the coating applied. (This can happen due to not fully overlapping the product)

With such possible missed areas, and like I had "felt", you also will most likely feel a "drag" to the paint in those missed areas. This will most likely be a good indicator of where the product had not been adequately applied. Simple to just again apply a small spritz to those areas, and spread.

Other's application methods may vary, each of us probably have our own ways of liking to apply such products. Myself, I solely concentrated on application first, coating one panel at a time, working my way around the vehicle.

Once I had completed coating the vehicle, I then walked around the vehicle with the MF Towel, beginning where I started the Coating Application, and wiping in aback-and forth/side to side straight line wipe. I would estimate the time between application, and then the wipe was about 10-15 minutes tops.

Hope this helps.
Mark

mspaulding1993
09-27-2013, 09:34 AM
yes it did help and i will check out some videos , thanks