PDA

View Full Version : What's a recommended DA backing plate?

MJT
09-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi guys. I will at some point be changing my backing plate to a 5" instead of my current 6" one, so that I can use 5.5" ccs pads. Whats a recommended backing plate/brand? Is the Lake country BP the best for this? I have a Harbor Freight DA polisher. A few different suggestions would be great! Thanks a lot.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-27-2013, 12:03 AM
I use the 5" LC backing plate my 5.5" LC pads.

You dont have to use the same brand plate and pads together but in doing so you can rest assured knowing that the hook and loop material is made to work together.

Evan.J
09-27-2013, 06:57 AM
I use the 5" LC backing plate my 5.5" LC pads.

You dont have to use the same brand plate and pads together but in doing so you can rest assured knowing that the hook and loop material is made to work together.

:iagree:

swanicyouth
09-27-2013, 07:04 AM
LC does make very good BPs. Never had any issue with one. Also have a BnS one that is good. I think they are the two main choices on that size.

Mike Phillips
09-27-2013, 07:58 AM

That's a key issue too...

I've seen first hand pads and backing plates with hook-n-loop that did NOT match.

You could take the foam pad and place it against the backing plate and the pad would literally fall to the ground because there was no attachment strength.

I include this in my how-to book too as it's all part of the "head knowledge" aspect of knowing what you're doing if you're going to detail cars for money or just your own vehicles.

:)

MJT
09-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys, that's really helpful!! I assume the smaller 5.5" pads will give a little more cut too as well as easier to buff smaller areas?

drvnbysound
09-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Along these lines, what is the standard recommendation regarding backing plates and pad sizes?

I've been wanting to purchase a PC 7424 for a while now. I recently got my car back for having some paint & body work done and am very close to pulling the trigger.

That being said, I was looking at some of the packages yesterday and saw this one:
Pinnacle polishes, pinnacle swirl remover, porter cable swirl remover, porter cable kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pitwpocaspof.html)

Is that 5" backing plate to be used with the 6.5" pads or just for future use with smaller pads (not included)?