PDA

View Full Version : My First machine Detail

Deke736
09-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. I wanted to say what an awesome forum this is, and how helpful many of the threads have been. Watching Mike Phillips videos has also helped a ton! After watching them, I feel ready to tackle machine paint correction myself!

A little history of my car- I have a 2012 Camaro ZL1 in Ashen Gray Metallic that was painted corrected a month after purchase by a friend of mine that is a professional that details many high-end cars in my city. The car was perfect when he was done and he taught me some of the process along the way. For reference, I have matte black vinyl stripes on my car. After a year of what I thought was proper care technique- bucket wash method, specific MF towels for specific jobs, and NEVER using an auto car wash, I realized last Sunday while I was at a show on a nice clear day that my car is full of swirls and small scratches.

There is a big car show coming up in 2 weeks (invitation only) and I really want to make sure my car stands out. My dad has a brand new PC 7424XP that I plan to use, though I did buy my own pads and products. I plan on a 2-bucket wash, plus clay bar treatment (using a Nanoskin Auto Scrub towl- fine grade and DD clay lube), then I plan to move to machine work. I will tape off the edges of my stripes prior to working. The products I bought are from the Pinnacle line- Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, and Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax. I plan to apply the ASR with a LC Orange Pad, the AFP with a LC white pad, and the PS Liquid Wax with a LC blue pad. Without getting into the details of the cleaning and detailing of the trim, the wheels, and fenderwells, etc, does this seem like the correct process? I chose the Pinnacle products since they seem easy to use and Mike Phillips uses them a lot, so I figured they must be good.

I figured I would test my skills out on my wife's black Saturn SUV that has never had any paint correction done to it since new, though it might be more work than my car. I just figure I would rather practice on a vehicle less expensive than my own!

Thanks in advance for the help and the great forum you guys have here! Looking forward to your feedback!

rmagnus
09-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a solid plan. I'm sure your wife will appreeciate the practice.

Post some pictures before and after for us.

Deke736
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks! I will definitely post pics before and after!

I also wanted to question you guys on water spot removal. My area has hard water, so I purchased a CR Spotless filter (DIC-20), but that was after the damage had been done on my glass. With my tinted windows, I have some very noticeable water spots. I read that white vinegar should do the trick, but I have also read about a steel wool with a 0000 grit. Which method do you prefer?

hernandez.art13
09-26-2013, 06:36 PM
These are helpful and welcome!

Mike Phillips explaining water spots.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/33340-water-stains.html

Art

BlackHawk
09-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Im not so sure you'll be able to remove all the swirls and RIDS with ASR knowing how hard GM paint is. I would get some UC or M105 if you dont have any.

The Guz
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Your plan sounds solid. I would definitely recommend Meg's microfiber cutting pad and D300. It works great on GM hard paint. Then you can polish with foam and follow with the sealant.

Deke736
09-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Im not so sure you'll be able to remove all the swirls and RIDS with ASR knowing how hard GM paint is. I would get some UC or M105 if you dont have any.

I have UC, so I'll see how it goes on a test section with the ASR and if necessary use the UC. I don't have any M105, but my local AutoZone has it if needed.

Thanks!

wdmaccord
09-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Sounds like you have the right plan. I would also try the ASR first and then go to M105 if that doesn't get you where you want to be. You should be able to find M105 at Advance Auto Parts (or Autozone as you mention). I guess you could try UC if you wanted, but remember it has fillers so you will likely be partially correcting and partially covering up. But it does work nice, wipes off easy, and finishes nice and slick.

I did the same as you. Practiced on my 2003, then my 2008, then went to my 2013 when I knew I had it figured out after the practice. Good plan.