PDA

View Full Version : Ratio selection; foam gun

drvnbysound
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I picked up a foam gun last week (delivered yesterday) along with some of the DP Xtreme Foam shampoo. Having said that, the instructions show to mix 2oz. of the shampoo with 6-8oz of water in the reservior. Simple enough. However, there is no mention of what ratio setting to use on the foam gun...

The product page of the foam gun (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-quart-foam-gun.html) states, "Multi-ratio Stem - The multi-ratio stem gives you five settings so you can adjust the dilution ratio of your shampoo. The chart below shows you the shampoo (oz.) to water (gal.) ratio based on the position of the stem."

But I can't find any information on the product soap/shampoo product page: DP Xtreme Foam Formula High Yield Foaming Auto Shampoo- Foamaster gun car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun-soap.html)

Suggestions?

Setec Astronomy
09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
If you mix 1:3 ratio soap:water (in your example, 2 oz soap & 6 oz water), and set the stem to the middle of the 5 holes (4oz/gallon) it will give you a 1oz/gallon mix ratio. That's what I do. Then if you need to thin it out a little or thicken it up you can adjust either direction from the middle hole you are in.

drvnbysound
09-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I can easily follow the 1:3 ratio (2oz soap:6oz water) mixture... and I see that the middle of the 5 holes is the setting for (4oz/gallon, or 1:32), but I have no idea how you get those to providing a 1oz/gallon (1:128) mixture...

Nonetheless, I'll definitely try that middle notch and just adjust from there. Thanks for the reply.

umi000
09-26-2013, 09:01 PM
At the middle setting, it pulls in 4oz of solution for every gallon of water, right? Now, that 4 oz is mixed at 1:3, which means that of the 4 oz solution, 1 oz is shampoo, 3 oz is water. So you're basically pulling 1 oz of shampoo for every gallon (and 3 ounces) of water.

Setec Astronomy
09-26-2013, 09:44 PM
I guess the other key thing that people aren't going to understand when reading this, is if you are trying to get 1oz/gallon, why don't you just put straight shampoo in the gun and set it to 1oz/gallon? Well, that works if you have a very thin shampoo, but most of them are pretty thick and won't draw properly out of the cup unless you dilute them down.

I usually predilute a jug of shampoo and fill the cup in the foam gun as necessary, so you don't have to stop in the middle of a wash to measure, etc.