PDA

View Full Version : Polish for new "hard" clearcoats???

BlackRocks
06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I am reading a lot about the new super hard, scratch resistant clear coats that are starting to make their way onto vehicles. Apparently, MB switched to these with 2005 models and I read an article that states the clear coat is now being supplied to various domestic auto plants as well. There was no list given. Anyone have experience with this new clear coat and what products does AG sell that may work with the new clears?

Todd

Neothin
06-01-2006, 10:04 PM
the only product i know of that is made specifically for the new ceramiclear finishes is PO106FF which is made by menzerna. PO85RD is also a ceramiclear polish, but it is no longer imported into the US.

3Dog
06-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Also Blackfires new polishes.

BILL
06-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I am reading a lot about the new super hard, scratch resistant clear coats that are starting to make their way onto vehicles. Apparently, MB switched to these with 2005 models and I read an article that states the clear coat is now being supplied to various domestic auto plants as well. There was no list given. Anyone have experience with this new clear coat and what products does AG sell that may work with the new clears?

Todd

Very interesting....... when they say scratch resistant, do they actually mean SWIRL RESISTANT?:confused:

ScottB
06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Ceramiclear is only used my MB and Maybach to date but will shortly move down the pike as price is reduced. It uses a ceramic base and suppose to reduce swirls, and other markings and stronger against the elements. To date Menzerna only makes the polishes, and already retired one. Recently CMA and Menzerna make a new Blackfire Ceramiclear polish line with more oils and working time. I suspect we will see more products and the clearcoat is more widely adopted.

Neothin
06-02-2006, 10:32 AM
well, they didn't actually retire one (unless that has changed recently). PO85RD and PO106FF finished down to almost the same gloss so they stopped exporting 85RD to the USA because it was not as versatile as 106FF which would handle more severe swirling. 85RD is still available in europe.

SpoiledMan
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Ceramiclear is only used my MB and Maybach to date but will shortly move down the pike as price is reduced.

BMW is using a version of Ceramiclear on the 7 series but I don't know about any other models.

Bill D
06-03-2006, 03:54 PM
The Menzerna "PO Twins" referenced above are the absolute finest polishes I've ever used. They produce the closest thing I can hope for to perfection; not only in gloss, but in usage: hand, PC, Cyclo, and rotary. They are simply a delight to use. I recently used some of my coveted 85RD to polish out some light marring, allowing me to do so by hand. I can't recall the last time I was able to say that.

I hope every automotive polish Menzerna makes would be made available in the US. I would have a hard time using anything else.