PDA

View Full Version : New and in high school!

Pages : [1] 2

Psterjj
09-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi, I'm a junior I'm high school from northern Alabama. I've always liked caring for cars and have collected many car care products for Christmas/birthday. I know most of the basics to detailing but none of the advanced stuff. I was thinking about asking for the few things left I need such as more towels etc. For Christmas this year and then maybe start detailing other people's car's for money. What do you all think? Would it be worth it?

jamesboyy
09-25-2013, 06:32 PM
welcome to Autogeek and yeah it would be worth it but look into it first

Bill1234
09-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Same as you, just a bit older.
I have asked for/bought
Guzzler drying towel-very helpful
Daytona wheel brush-efficient way to work on rims
collinite 845 wax-protection on a budget
gift cards to the store obviously

Do you have a DA and pads?
Do you have main chemicals such as wash, clay etc ?

Psterjj
09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
No I do not have a DA but I do have most of the other thugs like wash and wax etc. I'm also very organized and have been interested in business for a long time so I know I could handle that side of it. I just can't decide if it would be worth it with me going off to college in a year and a half.

Bill1234
09-25-2013, 06:58 PM
A da is completely necessary if you wanted to do correction work

Psterjj
09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Yeah that would be on my Christmas list

Bill1234
09-25-2013, 07:06 PM
theres a few on the autogeek site, I would either go for the meguiars or portercable brand. The porter cable has a bit more rattle to it

01GreyStangGT
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome to a fun hobby! I started detailing mine and my parents' cars in junior high and made a little money detailing in high school.

beamerstrumpet
09-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi, I'm a junior I'm high school from northern Alabama. I've always liked caring for cars and have collected many car care products for Christmas/birthday. I know most of the basics to detailing but none of the advanced stuff. I was thinking about asking for the few things left I need such as more towels etc. For Christmas this year and then maybe start detailing other people's car's for money. What do you all think? Would it be worth it?
buy Mikes 2 books is a first thing to answer all your questions.

I am 45, but have just started this hobby. I too want to make some spare change, however you should look at this thread. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/70280-takes-time-build-detail-business.html

At your age, no matter how good you get, you wont get people to want to pay you for what you might be worth.

best advice here is work your familys, friends, relitives cars. take pics learn technique get them to pay you something cause you dont want to work for free but you wont get premium price due to age and lack of experiance.

I say do your best, shoot for the stars, but have a realistic view of whats ahead. You can also do some trade outs instead of cash if someone has something to offer.

I have yet to get a client. I have done my 3 family cars and keep them nice. As you will learn, interrior work is where the big daily demand is. So if your asking for something for christmass, put some sort of steamer on the list. there are lots of deacently priced ones over the counter that do good and the bisselle that heats the water.
I have a DA but I have found I also need a Rotory. and some junk yoard pannels to pratice on.
not trying to kill your dream just want you to see it better.

BradsDetailing
09-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Do as much research on products as possible before you purchase so you get a good grasp on what you need and suits you.

I started about a year ago after I bought my first, newer, car and I'm detailing cars on the side now.

Make sure you buy in bulk if you do plan on detailing a lot of cars, it's a lot cheaper.

Welcome

Psterjj
09-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah thank you! I know I wouldn't be getting any real clients or anything I was mostly things relatives and family friends for some small cash haha. Thank you very much!

UglyBetty
09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
If you are passionate about it, pursue it.

I'm twice your age and have a great job(far from detailing), but for some sick reason I enjoy detailing and consider it my hobby. My vehicles are typically spotless, and I get bored working on them because they lack challenges. I've traded my minimal expertise on friend and neighbors vehicles for something as simple as lunch, or just done it because I enjoy doing it and seeing the improvement.

I've been passionate about waxing/cleaning car exteriors since I was a pup helping my dad apply and remove Liquid Glass from his Oldsmobiles by hand. I did EVERYTHING by hand until about 10 years ago, and that still works if you don't mind putting in the elbow grease. If I could just fine some more Blue Max cleaner wax paste, I would own the world(lol). It will take longer by hand, and you will get tired doing it that way, but it can be done.

Focus on learning the products, polish vs. cleaner wax vs. pure wax, sealant, coating, etc if you don't know that already. Then within that learn about the differences in polishes (names get confusing, finishing polish, swirl remover, compound, etc). For all intents and purposes, they are all the same with different cleaning / correcting capabilities.....I'm oversimplifying this. Autogeek has a great guide on their polish page giving you some idea of the differences in cutting / cleaning abilities of polishes.

For now, ignore the comments that you need x polisher with y pad and z polish to fix a specific problem........if you don't know the capabilities of a specific product, the tool won't matter much. Does a power tool make it easier, yes.....does it limit your ability to fix a problem, not necessarily.

I'm guessing your friends and neighbors would be extremely satisfied with a clay bar, hand applied cleaner wax, (more elbow grease where there are minor problems).

Hope this helps!

beamerstrumpet
09-25-2013, 11:26 PM
You should also look into the thread about the Harbor freight DA (its in your price range) and the cheep deals thread in the water cooler section, lots of great info in there.

Psterjj
09-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Thank you so much everyone for all the helpful replies! One of my friends just offered to give me a ride in his new mustang for a detail! Ill be doing it just for the fun but I can learn some I hope.

beamerstrumpet
09-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I hope its a good drive cause you will be putting more into it than he is. :) Ask him also to spring for lunch and a 12 pack of your favorite soda. (at my house it would have to be Dr. Pepper or A&W Cream soda) since I know your not 21 LOL. remember, dont work for free. at least charge something or trade for something. Teh ride is cool, but its not going to equal the time you will put in hand wash and wax and buffing. When your buddy tells his buddies that you work for just a ride,,, you may find others wanting the same deal. For anyone else I would ask for at least 40 bucks for basics, if they dont have that much (being HS student) agree on a price that is good enough for you both. If you can get 25 to 40, you can get that HF DA pretty fast, then build up from there.