PDA

View Full Version : Mytee hot water extractor maintenance

KS_Detailing
09-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I've read alot about which extractor is the best or how to use an extractor. But I'm finding little information on the upkeep and maintenance of the Mytee extractors once you have bought them. I have a Mytee HP60.

Questions...

1. What defoamer are you using? Which brand and how do you use the defoamer in the machine?
2. How often are you using the Mytee system maintainer? Mytee suggest once a week! Its $50 per dozen!
3. Is there any other maintenance I should know about?

I don't plan to use chemicals in the solution tank but would pre-treat carpets with an APC or Folex.

Thanks for the help :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
09-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I've read alot about which extractor is the best or how to use an extractor. But I'm finding little information on the upkeep and maintenance of the Mytee extractors once you have bought them. I have a Mytee HP60.

Questions...

1. What defoamer are you using? Which brand and how do you use the defoamer in the machine?
2. How often are you using the Mytee system maintainer? Mytee suggest once a week! Its $50 per dozen!
3. Is there any other maintenance I should know about?

I don't plan to use chemicals in the solution tank but would pre-treat carpets with an APC or Folex.

Thanks for the help :dblthumb2:

We don't use any carpet/upholstery cleaners "in" our Mytee Lite 8070 even though you can. The reason why is because you never really rinse anything or extract anything clean because you're always injecting cleaner into it. Instead we pre-treat with a dedicated cleaner.

Since we don't use any cleaning agents we don't need to use a de-foamer. (water doesn't really cause a foaming problem)

The most important thing you can do is immediately rinse out the dirty water holding tank as soon as you're done using the extractor for the day. If you make this a "Best Practice", it will stay very clean.

I take our shop extractor outside and tip it on it's side and then blast it with water from a sprayer and aim the spray all over inside the tank letting the water run out the vacuum line inlet.

You can also add some white vinegar to the dirty water tank and then fill the tank and let it soak for a while for a natural deodorizing.

Also, flush your vacuum line with fresh, clean water and find a way to hang it so it will drip dry, you don't want crud accumulating inside your hose and hardening.

And remove the sprayer tip using the appropriate wrench and flush and clean it with water. I use an APC and a swab plus a nylon detailing brush, (like a toothbrush), to clean it after use. Then I blast it with an air squirter to blow it out and blow it dry.

If you don't flush it and clean it out, all the minerals and other elements in city water will tend to form corrosion around the tip opening and the water spray coming out can get clogged or spray unevenly.

It's really best to do all of the above after use before any of the water in any of the above components can dry.

It's the same idea for cleaning Pad Washers after a hard day's detailing. If you clean your pad washer after using it you can pretty much just rinse it out with a blast of clean water. If you let it sit instead of cleaning it, the compounding residue and the paint your remove will compact inside the bucket on the bottom, in the Vortex base and inside and on top of the water pump cups and now you'll have to actually do some scrubbing.

Immediate cleaning is fast and easy cleaning. Waiting just makes everything harder, take longer and stinkier.

:)

KS_Detailing
09-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Wow great information Mike, Thanks so much! Sounds like you don't use the mytee system maintainer?

I think this topic would make a good article. A pictorial walk through ;)

greatwhitenorth
09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Great advise mike! I run vinegar through the machine every 3 months then again with hot water right after

KS_Detailing
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
just got off the phone with Mytee customer service. I was actually calling about ordering another hose hanger but while I was on the phone I asked him about maintenance. He also suggest white vinegar as an alternative. He said to use it in the solution tank as well and spray it out to clean the line. Mytee seems to have good customer serivce. They were very helpful and informative (or atleast who I spoke to)

Mike Phillips
09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I think this topic would make a good article. A pictorial walk through ;)

Funny thing is there's never ever anyone around to take pictures when I go to clean the extractors...

LOL

:D

KS_Detailing
09-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Funny thing is there's never ever anyone around to take pictures when I go to clean the extractors...

LOL

:D

you gotta set up the camera to snap a pic every minute like the wet sand video ;)

sweatthedetails
09-30-2013, 10:10 PM
I use CLR in mine. I have had the machine for 3 year and i know they have updated the design but mine has a line that runs thru the clean water tank and that line seems to be constantly rusting. Which makes keeping the "clean" water clean very difficult. I replaced it last winter and it is rusting again. I guess I should use DI water. Just seems like a poor place to put a line with metal fittings.