PDA

View Full Version : when do you use an AIO, when a One step?

Pages : [1] 2

2shiny
09-25-2013, 06:35 AM
how do you guys decide to use an AIO/cleaner wax or a One Step (like FG400) and put a spray wax on top? as I think it will take almost the same amount of time, not?

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Wow, we really need to firm up these terms...didn't we used to refer to an AIO as a "one-step" meaning you just performed one step on the car that did some correction, shined, and left some protection? Or has the term now evolved that a "one-step" is a one-step correction, to be followed by protection?

Back to your question, doesn't it have to take more time to polish and spray wax rather than just "polish" with the AIO? Or are you planning to put your spray wax on top of the FG400 residue and buff both off at the same time?

Evan.J
09-25-2013, 06:47 AM
how do you guys decide to use an AIO/cleaner wax or a One Step (like FG400) and put a spray wax on top? as I think it will take almost the same amount of time, not?

FG400 is not a one step product. Whiles the finish is good I wouldnt place it into that category. PF2500 M205 are examples for a one step where you use a polish that has moderate cut and finishes down LSP ready.

An AIO would be used where you need to get something done fast so they ofer good cut finish down and protection. The wax or sealant in AIO is not as great as a stand alone you can get good protection none the less. Most production shops will use something like and AIO.

Each car you come across will be different and doing a test spot will tell you what will work.

My one step polishes I will use a polish and then a sealant.

2shiny
09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
well, mike wrote this article saying using fg400 as a One step
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/57592-new-menzerna-fg-400-one-step-show-car-makeover.html

on the ag website, it also says that poorboys SSR2.5 is a One step

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2013, 07:34 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/57592-new-menzerna-fg-400-one-step-show-car-makeover.html

Yeah, but it's not really that simple, is it? Compounds like FG400, Wolfgang Uber, M105, D300, Optimum Compound can leave a very good finish as compared to old-school rocks-in-a-bottle compounds like PowerGloss or SSR3. But that doesn't mean they are going to leave a satisfactory finish on all paint systems or colors.

As Evan noted there are a number of polishes that will leave a great finish and remove some defects while leaving the deeper ones. Whether to use one of the new-tech compounds or a polish for a one-step correction is really dependent on what you are trying to achieve, what the customer expectations are, how hard the paint is, and what color it is.

As far as SSR2.5...mine is quite old, and yes, it was a very nice polish in the day, IMO it does have some sort of "wax" in it, regardless of what Poorboy says. If you use it alongside say, SSR2 from back in the day (the turquoise version), you can clearly feel the SSR2.5 leaves something behind while the SSR2 does not. I don't know if SSR2.5 is different today as SSR1 and 2 are, but it's not the product I would pick for a "one-step" when there are products like SIP/Wolfgang TSR and a number of others.

Evan.J
09-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Depending on what your working on what tools you have and the look your going after will determine what you should use.

A test spot should always be done! While this worked great whats to say it will for you?

Each and every paint is diffeenrt and will react differently with every product pad and tool application.

What are you working on and what will be your desired goal?

Lets start from there. :props:

Mike Phillips
09-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Wow, we really need to firm up these terms...didn't we used to refer to an AIO as a "one-step" meaning you just performed one step on the car that did some correction, shined, and left some protection?

A true one-step is still the use of an AIO also called a Cleaner/Wax. These types of products will clean, polish AND protect in one-step.

Or has the term now evolved that a "one-step" is a one-step correction, to be followed by protection?

I think the term one-step is a legitimate use of the term as it relates to doing all the steps normally associated with a multiple step paint polishing process.

The difference is that when the term one-step is used in the context of a multiple step process it means a single product is being used to correct and polish the paint to the point of being LSP ready. After this step a wax, sealant or coating bust still be applied.

So in the above context, a one-step is really a two step.

Step 1 - Compound/Polish
Step 2 - Seal the paint

:)

2shiny
09-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I kind of always feel like I'm cheating while using a AIO. Personally, I wouldn't like it if the scratches come back after a while, and the protection is like good for a few weeks... but that's my feeling.
I've got someone with an audi, hard paint, but it's a daily driver, but he works for a realestate agency, so he wants it looking shiny. So, as being a AIO, most would reccomend an AIO, but, he just can't be coming back every 2-3 months, so, for a longer term, I'd go for a One step compound-polish and a sealant...

about the SSR2.5, I've used it on bmw paint with a yellow cutting pad, and it finishes very nicely. using this with a polishing pad will remove alot and will be lsp-ready.
I haven't noticed anything left behind.

Calendyr
09-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Ya that confused me for the longest time as well. All-in-Ones are truelly one step but it can easilly be confused with one-step correction.

Personally I don't see much need for an all-in-one. I have only used one so far: Mother's Cleaner Wax and I was really disapointed with the result. If I am gonna pull out the buffer to do an AIO, I might as well do a one step correction. If the issue is money, then the LSP can be a spray sealant that only takes 15 minutes to apply. Will still leave a protection as good as a cleaner wax but the paint will have been corrected, not just a tiny bit hidden.

I believe that AIO can be useful to remove oxidation if the paint is not swirled, that would be the only time I feel it would be useful.

Maybe some of you have other exemples of times AIO is a good choice?

FUNX650
09-25-2013, 08:34 AM
When a vehicle's (especially a DD's) original OEM, so-very-thin CC paint has been
deemed to have been "corrected": Enough Already!!!.

Judgement-Call/EPTG.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
I kind of always feel like I'm cheating while using a AIO. Personally, I wouldn't like it if the scratches come back after a while, and the protection is like good for a few weeks... but that's my feeling.
I've got someone with an audi, hard paint, but it's a daily driver, but he works for a realestate agency, so he wants it looking shiny. So, as being a AIO, most would reccomend an AIO, but, he just can't be coming back every 2-3 months, so, for a longer term, I'd go for a One step compound-polish and a sealant...

You have to sell him on it one way or another...tell him the AIO approach is XXX dollars, but he will have to come back every 2-3 months to keep it looking good...or you can do a two-step (one polish, one LSP) and it will look good for 4-6 months for XXX dollars, and let him decide.

about the SSR2.5, I've used it on bmw paint with a yellow cutting pad, and it finishes very nicely. using this with a polishing pad will remove alot and will be lsp-ready. I haven't noticed anything left behind.

My SSR's are from 2004 or 2005...I remember doing a side-by-side between SSR2 and SSR2.5...the SSR2 was squeaky clean after polishing, and the SSR2.5 was slippery like it had LSP on it. Strange coincidence at the time that CG/Warner had a product called LaserCut that had a very similar description, was purple, and had "wax" in it, so maybe it was just my imagination.

2shiny
09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Ya that confused me for the longest time as well. All-in-Ones are truelly one step but it can easilly be confused with one-step correction.

Personally I don't see much need for an all-in-one. I have only used one so far: Mother's Cleaner Wax and I was really disapointed with the result. If I am gonna pull out the buffer to do an AIO, I might as well do a one step correction. If the issue is money, then the LSP can be a spray sealant that only takes 15 minutes to apply. Will still leave a protection as good as a cleaner wax but the paint will have been corrected, not just a tiny bit hidden.

I believe that AIO can be useful to remove oxidation if the paint is not swirled, that would be the only time I feel it would be useful.

that's what I mean, If I take out the polisher, I want to do a decent job, and a spray wax/sealant. otherwise it's a shame I invest all my time to have it just dissapear at every wash... but customer is king
I've heard good reviews about Poorboys PwS, but I'm a big Poorboys fan :D

You have to sell him on it one way or another...tell him the AIO approach is XXX dollars, but he will have to come back every 2-3 months to keep it looking good...or you can do a two-step (one polish, one LSP) and it will look good for 4-6 months for XXX dollars, and let him decide.
it's up to customer indeed, but I think using an AIO is money thrown away...

My SSR's are from 2004 or 2005...I remember doing a side-by-side between SSR2 and SSR2.5...the SSR2 was squeaky clean after polishing, and the SSR2.5 was slippery like it had LSP on it. Strange coincidence at the time that CG/Warner had a product called LaserCut that had a very similar description, was purple, and had "wax" in it, so maybe it was just my imagination.

can't comment on the older ones, but I have one from 2013, and it doesn't feel slippery. But I wipe it off with eraser, so I could be taking it away. will have a go and report back :buffing:

Mike Phillips
09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
You have to sell him on it one way or another...tell him the AIO approach is XXX dollars, but he will have to come back every 2-3 months to keep it looking good...

or you can do a two-step (one polish, one LSP) and it will look good for 4-6 months for XXX dollars, and let him decide.

And that's the goal of page two of my VIF forum, to enable a detailer to educate his customer on his available packages, the benefits and drawbacks of each package and the associated price point and then let the customer decide according to their budget and the importance of the car in question.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html)

FUNX650
09-25-2013, 09:42 AM
that's what I mean, If I take out the polisher, I want to do a decent job, and a spray wax/sealant.
otherwise it's a shame I invest all my time to have it just dissapear at every wash...

You make it sound as though AIO's will not do any kind of 'correction',
and not offer any 'protection'...at all!

Why is that?

:confused:

Bob

2shiny
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
i mean it dissapears little by little, but still