PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum safe APC or tire cleaner

PRicci09
09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

Im looking for a tire cleaner that will not haze the surface of mirror polished bare aluminum wheels.

I tried optimum power clean but it left white spots on the wheels where it dripped, (was not used in the sun, did not allow to dry).

Thanks!

CDot
09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
APC: CG All Clean does really well for me

Dedicated Tire Cleaner: Eagle One A to Z All Wheel and Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire can be picked up locally

Colinpd137
09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Sonax Full Effect works great for unpolished aluminium

Your best bet is making sure your non in direct sunlight & the wheels are not hot. Those will be big factors in cleaning your wheels

Sent from my XT907 using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
09-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

Im looking for a tire cleaner that will not haze the surface of mirror polished bare aluminum wheels.

I tried optimum power clean but it left white spots on the wheels where it dripped, (was not used in the sun, did not allow to dry).

Thanks!
I always top mirror polished aluminum with 845. I specifically instruct vehicle owners to clean tires and wheels with same car wash soap that they use on paint. Otherwise it wont be long before you have this: 7 months of oxidation (dd, outside 24/7/365) and overspray of APC used for cleaning tires.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2037/playing_around_re2.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63369)

What type of vehicle are your wheels on...dd, garage queen, wknd cruiser?

Dogfather
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I specifically instruct vehicle owners to clean tires and wheels with same car wash soap that they use on paint.

Good advice, except car wash soap doesn't get the job done for me on tires. Thoroughly cleaning tires without messing up my wheels has been a point of frustration for me for a while.

Vegas Transplant
09-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Have you tried applying the soap straight from the bottle to your brush on a wet tire?

Once tires are trained on the water based dressing, all I use is a good soap, decent brush, and strong water pressure. Tires do not always come out PERFECT, but darn close. Main focus is not to have to pull the wheels for re-polishing.

PiPUK
09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
This may or may not assist but alkaline products with sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) are the grim reaper here. If in doubt, get a copy of the MSDS and check - if it lists it, you would be wise to avoid it.

One of my colleagues tried to introduce this (well known fact) to the UK detailing community but it fell on deaf ears. To be brutally honest, I would outright question whether a product justifies the 'detailing' tag if it is based around this ingredient. It is a staple for cheap and effective industrial cleaning and valeting but it offers far too much risk when considering vehicles which have sensitive finishes (such as aluminium/chrome/etc.). IMO, of course.

KillaCam
09-24-2013, 01:04 PM
I use Meg's super degreaser 4:1 on my tires that are wrapped around my billet aluminum Torq thrust wheels with no problems. Just be careful and spray close to the tire and slowly so there's not a lot of overspray. You shouldn't have to clean the tires with tire cleaner after every wash just dress them when needed and clean them once a month or so.
I haven't had any staining issues yet with my method. Just be very careful not to get the overspray on the wheels. I always wet the wheel first with water too just to be sure.

Dogfather
09-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I think Duragloss 701 is not alkaline. I might try that.

Dogfather
09-24-2013, 01:31 PM

I believe that's incorrect. I just read the description. It's not "strictly" alkaline.

FUNX650
09-24-2013, 01:50 PM
This may or may not assist but alkaline products with sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) are the grim reaper here. If in doubt, get a copy of the MSDS and check - if it lists it, you would be wise to avoid it.

I believe that's incorrect. I just read the description. It's not "strictly" alkaline.
1.) Duragloss #701 contains Potassium Hydroxide---also a strong base, along the lines of sodium hydroxide.

2.) Duragloss #701 also contains 2-Butoxyethanol (it's on the cautionary hazardous ingredients list)...
This ingredient may be what causes #701's description to read: not "strictly" alkaline.

Bob

KillaCam
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Bob is the man when it comes to MSDS!

PiPUK
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Apologies - any common hydroxide is worth avoiding if you have anything sensitive. Thanks for picking up the ball, Bob.

sharpreflection
09-24-2013, 06:05 PM
There has been a lot of good suggestions here. I would use a cleaner when the wheels and tires get really dirty but if you stay on top of it all you should need is soap and water.

Audios S6
09-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Two potential options I see not listed here would be:

1. Apply a more durable tire dressing like tuf shine that will require minimal effort to clean after application.

2. Eco touch APC. I do not have any personal experience with it, but based only on the msds it appears to be much less reactive than other apc.