PDA

View Full Version : What paint coating do you prefer and why?

Pages : [1] 2

dlgwarner
09-24-2013, 04:54 AM
First, I'll mention that I'm not a professional detailer, bt I've been "going to school" at AG for 7 years and apply what I've learned from everyone here to my DD with great care and results to match.

I'm planning to do a complete paint correction on our Honda Odyssey which serves mainly as our hauler and greyhound taxi, so it tends to be the most neglected car in the garage. I'd like to finish it with a paint coating rather than a sealant. It tends to be the most neglected car in the garage.

I've learned from AG that the "best" product is mainly a matter of personal preference and the situation and goal than product quality.

So, I'm interested in what you like to work with and why and would since this will be my first time using a coating (I figure I'll get my experience on the van before I coat my Audi) I appreciate and suggestions, tips and advice for my situation.

silverfox
09-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Congrats on going the coating route. Coatings make so much sense and they look great as well. Your paint will practically wash itself when rained on. Subsequent Maintenance washes become a breeze as well.

What's more important than the coating you select is the preparation steps.

Wash - iron-x - clay - polish - eraser (or DP coating prep polish) - coating.

Don't top the coating with a wax for goodness sake! Use a coating topper such as Reload if you use one at all.

My. 2 cents ...

I use CQUK but there are several great coatings.

Mike lambert
09-24-2013, 06:59 AM
We have tried them all, we sell c quartz finest, but I really like nanolex for ease of use ,price and looks.
Any of the c quartz will do you fine also.
I would really make sure you use the correct product for wipe down also.

jartx
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm very interested in the replies to your question. I think I want to coat my new Honda Civic (sealed it already with BFWD and BF CS after a wash, clay, and hand polish with BF enhancing polish), but as I get to know this car, see the paint is pretty soft. (several rock chips already on the bumper) I thought I had decided on Opt-Coat, but am waffling back and forth on what coating to use. I really like the paint (Dyno Blue with lots of metallic flakes in it), and the Blackfire products have made it look really good, but want the best protection since I plan on keeping this car for a long time (daily driver driven on the expressways daily). I'll keep my eye on this thread, since I'm not a professional detailer and have even less knowledge/experience than you. Hope you don't mind me eavesdropping. ;)

StangFan25
09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I decided to try a coating too. Previously I've used sealants and wax.

Last week I used DP Paint Coating on my Mustang. A few minutes after applying, I was very impressed. Its hard to explain the look, was glossy/glassy and super smooth. 3 days later I put a second coat on. Washing it a couple days later was a breeze and was left looking spectacular. The beading and roll off is great as well.

I've been suggesting this product to anyone that's asked me how to protect their car.

Great value too, after the two coats, I still have over half the bottle left!

VP Mark
09-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I sell opti coat pro and dp paint coating. They apply easy and look great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

swanicyouth
09-24-2013, 06:05 PM
OptiCoat.

Its permanent.

allenk4
09-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Are we saying that a "Sealant" and a "Coating" are different?

I read Mike Phillips thread and the term "Coating" is used generically to refer to everything from Carnuba to Synthetics.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html

kevincwelch
09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
I'll give my feedback here as someone who is a novice but has spent a lot of time reading.

I've always been interested in keeping my car clean. For years my idea of detailing was using mothers car wash, a soft wash brush, natural chamois, Armour All, and paste turtle wax. After buying a really nice car, my attitude went in the exact opposite direction. I've accumulated all kinds of sealants and waxes and have tried several great ones.

I went with GTechniq after reading about it and scouring the Web for advice.

I'm very happy with C1 and EXO v2, but C1 was not the easiest to apply. Neither was G1. There were a lot of high spots - - probably due to over application - - and I have a few spots on the car where I notice it. They are on the roof where my arm reach was exceeded and in couldn't buff it very well. EXO v2 was very easy to apply on the other hand. G1 went on fine, but I ran out of G2 and had to use an ipa to wipe it off. The periphery of my windshield has some high spots, but thankfully they are noticeable only if the sun is in the right spot.

The results of GTechniq are stunning, however. I'm glad I did it, but there is definitely a learning curve with GTechniq products. I imagine it's similar with C. Quartz.
DP's paint coat and Chemical Guys seem much easier to apply, and I might try them I the future for my wife's car.

For my wife's car, which is a little beaten down from the kids, I chose Permanon Platinum, which was incredibly easy to apply and looks great. It doesn't bead and sheet as well as GTechniq, but it's pretty good.

But keep in mind that these are just the musings of a beginner. I'd definitely do GTechniq again, but my curiosity may get the better of me next time....

zmcgovern45
09-24-2013, 06:42 PM
... this is like asking "what's the best wax...

ANY coating will provide superior protection to a natural wax or synthetic sealant. They all should be more durable and last longer. Some may be different to apply - some may be wipe on wipe off, while others require you to wait a period of time, and others simply "self level".

Do some research, find out what appeals to you and go for it. You really can't go wrong with a coating.

I personally prefer 22ple VX1 Pro (or CQuartz Finest although that is not available to consumers). 22ple VX1 Pro states that you should apply to a section and remove after 3-5 minutes, however I will tell you I have tested this recommendation and the excess product still wipes away easily after 30minutes or so (tested in temps of around 70F and low humidity). This is great because you can coat 1/2 of the car before you start to remove it. The coating wipes on easier than your typical wax and wipes off way easier than any traditional form of protection.

I have personally had 22ple VX1 Pro on my car for about a year now and it is doing just fine. I have talked to others who have seen it outlast their 2 year claim with good routine maintenance. Also, it's appearance is excellent. Super glossy.

hernandez.art13
09-24-2013, 07:01 PM
I personally dislike the "use the search button" comments.

He asked for a reason, so answer or...

I've seen Opti coat first hand and was very surprised on how well it worked.

On the other hand

I have been told by close one's and people you all know. That "Permanent" is a strong statement. (Not exact words btw)

Old Tiger
09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Congrats on going the coating route. Coatings make so much sense and they look great as well. Your paint will practically wash itself when rained on. Subsequent Maintenance washes become a breeze as well.

What's more important than the coating you select is the preparation steps.

Wash - iron-x - clay - polish - eraser (or DP coating prep polish) - coating.

Don't top the coating with a wax for goodness sake! Use a coating topper such as Reload if you use one at all.

My. 2 cents ...

I use CQUK but there are several great coatings.

Very sound advice! I would agree with the CQ UK for ease of application.

StoneRaizer
09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Are we saying that a "Sealant" and a "Coating" are different?

I read Mike Phillips thread and the term "Coating" is used generically to refer to everything from Carnuba to Synthetics.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html

Coatings are a relatively new class of paint protection that are different from traditional sealants and waxes. To my knowledge, coatings started appearing around 2010-2011. Coatings are designed to bond to the paint and last one to two years. Since coatings are semi-permanent, it is crucial to remove any scratches, swirls and other imperfections from the car's paint before applying the coating. Once it's on there, the only way to remove it is to use a mild abrasive polish. Examples of these new coatings are OptiCoat, CQuartz, GTechniq, and DP Paint Coating.

Traditional waxes are made with carnauba wax, a naturally occurring substance harvested from trees in Brazil. These have been around since (again, to my knowledge) the 1950s and are still popular to this day. Carnauba-based waxes look great and show off a car's colour beautifully. Unfortunately carnauba waxes are also known for poor durability, in that they'll usually last for a month or two tops. For enthusiasts who are really particular about their paint's finish, this is actually a good thing because it gives them an excuse to apply a fresh coat of wax every few weeks. :xyxthumbs: If you see a car that looks like the paint is dripping wet and a mile deep, chances are it has a carnauba wax on it. FYI, carnauba wax is also what gives M&Ms and other candies their shiny appearance. Don't believe me? Check the label next time. :hungry:

Sealants are the middle child of coatings and waxes. They're applied and removed like traditional waxes, but are 100% science - no natural wax here! Often their appearance is extremely reflective, like a sheet of ice or glass is over the surface of the paint. However, some sealants like Blackfire Wet Diamond do a great job of mimicking the look of a carnauba wax. A coat of synthetic sealant should last between 3-5 months - longer than a wax, but not as long as a coating.

zmcgovern45
09-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I personally dislike the "use the search button" comments.

He asked for a reason, so answer or...
^... no one gave a "use the search button" comment. Everyone answered the question that was being asked, so not sure who/what you're referring to.

Very sound advice! I would agree with the CQ UK for ease of application.
^I've got experience with Opti-Coat, 22ple VX1 Pro, and CQuartz Finest... I would say they are all extremely easy to apply and remove (aka wipe off excess product).

hernandez.art13
09-26-2013, 09:06 AM
^... no one gave a "use the search button" comment. Everyone answered the question that was being asked, so not sure who/what you're referring to.

^I've got experience with Opti-Coat, 22ple VX1 Pro, and CQuartz Finest... I would say they are all extremely easy to apply and remove (aka wipe off excess product).

Was just something I said in general to the public. So nothing specifically :)