PDA

View Full Version : New car detail

1957levy
09-23-2013, 08:07 PM
I am planning on detailing my wife's new car this weekend. My normal routine is to wash, rinse and while it is still wet, use clay with a clay lube, rewash then wax. Since this a new car I don't want to screw this up, is there anything wrong with doing it this way? It does save a lot of time. I am going to use Iron X before clay for the 1st time. Thanks

Boudin
09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
You could use clean car wash soap water as your clay lube, save some money, unless you already bought lube. I don't think you need to wash again after claying, just dry and do an IPA wiped own before applying LSP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1957levy
09-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I ahve never done an IPA wipe down before, what dilution rate do you recomend? Thanks for the advice

ponypower5.0
09-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I ahve never done an IPA wipe down before, what dilution rate do you recomend? Thanks for the advice

Sounds like a plan. With all due respect, I see no need for an IPA wipe down unless you are applying a coating or trying to remove polishing oils and such.

hernandez.art13
09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a plan. With all due respect, I see no need for an IPA wipe down unless you are applying a coating or trying to remove polishing oils and such.

I had never heard of an IPA wipedowns until I found AG.

I always just washed it, after paint correction, then applied the wax.

I am just going to buy Chemical Guy citrus wash and gloss for washes, or dilute it to strip lsp.

For some reason I just don't feel comfortable using rubbing alcohol on car paints.

Not saying it's wrong because Meguiar's Open Garage did it. Just not my preference, that's all

wdmaccord
09-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Personally, I would at least polish between the clay and wax. Good chance the dealership put swirls in the paint prior to delivery. That will also clean up any micro-marring you might get from the clay also.