PDA

View Full Version : advise taken

gary26
06-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks again to Gary Sword & Killrwheels

After seeing Gary Swords white car photo's I was very impressed. I believe my first order is going to be Porter Cable 7336, Pinacle Liquid Souveran, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Porter Cable Lambs Wool Pads.

Thanks for Advise Gary26

ScottB
06-17-2007, 08:13 AM
if ordering the PC from us, it will be the 7424. Same machine just sold as polisher versus sander. You might want to wait a week and order the new UDM thats about to be released !

Also note in your list you have wool pads (very abrasive) and no paint polish. The paintcleanser is chemical based. I highly suggest adding some Menzerna Nano-polish or Finish Polish to the order also.

Gary Sword
06-17-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm with Killr regarding the wool pad. I don't think it's something you would want or need to use on a new car.

P1et
06-17-2007, 09:31 AM
I think you should be good with getting some nice Lake Creek pads. Look at their CCS pads and buy the orange, green, white and blue.

gary26
06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Killrwheels, Gary Sword, P1et,

Thanks for info. Thought I read that lambs wool pads were the finest, but after going back I read they covered lambs wool with micro fiber bonnet. Now do I really need polish on new paint with no swirls ? Went to search on main page typed in paint polish and some plastic coating came up ? Starting to get a little confused. Gary I was really impressed with your wife's white cars finish. I want my car to have that look. Could you tell exactly what you used ? Killrwheels I am ordering everything at this site I will wait for new Porter Cable Unit although was impressed with how you did that trailer by hand. I'm gathering a great wealth of info here and I love it.

Thanks to all Gary26

gary26
06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Killrwheels

Typed in finish polish at main page and something else came up for motorcycles. What exactly is the finish polish ? Should I just invest in the Pinnacle, or Wolfgang kits where they seem to give you everthing you need with CD instructions since I such a New User.

P1et
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Gary, if your car is brand new it still might need to be clayed to get rid of any contaminants that fell on your vehicle when it was being shipped to your dealership. After claying, it's a good idea to give the vehicle a light polish (say with Menzerna 106FF on a white or gray/blue pad) and then put a nice layer of wax or sealant on it. It's a great way to start and if you keep up your washing and drying technique, you won't have to polish it again for a long time.

Gary Sword
06-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Gary, if your car is brand new it still might need to be clayed to get rid of any contaminants that fell on your vehicle when it was being shipped to your dealership. After claying, it's a good idea to give the vehicle a light polish (say with Menzerna 106FF on a white or gray/blue pad) and then put a nice layer of wax or sealant on it. It's a great way to start and if you keep up your washing and drying technique, you won't have to polish it again for a long time.

I agree but I don't think a new car would be bad enough to require a wool pad and anything to abbrasive.

Gary, On my wife's car I think I had put on 2 coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (Orginal Formula) over 2 coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant when that picture was taken. It's a very nice combination and looks great on white. The car really has a nice paint job. It seems like it has lots of clear coat and depth to the paint.

P1et
06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree but I don't thing a new car would be bad enough to require a wool pad and anything to abbrasive.

Absolutely Gary, I completely agree with you. No wool on a new car! Just don't DO IT! As tempting as it may be, NO WOOL!!!

ScottB
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Killrwheels

Typed in finish polish at main page and something else came up for motorcycles. What exactly is the finish polish ? Should I just invest in the Pinnacle, or Wolfgang kits where they seem to give you everthing you need with CD instructions since I such a New User.

Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-nano-polish.html) (Nano-polish)

Menzerna Final Polish PO 85U Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) (final polish)

lots of different brands of finishing polishes (lightest abrasive, really meant to gem paint) and I find Menzerna's best while being easy to use. XMT, Poorboys, and others are also available.

the kits will offer best values, but most do not come with abrasive polish. Most come with a chemical paint cleaner. Not bad value, just add the polish as wanted.

gary26
06-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey Gary Sword
Did you do your wife's car by hand or did you use Porter Cable or other polisher ?

Thanks Gary26

Gary Sword
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey Gary Sword
Did you do your wife's car by hand or did you use Porter Cable or other polisher ?

Thanks Gary26

I think I did that detail all by hand. I always apply paste wax by hand. Sometimes I apply liquid wax or sealant with a Porter Cable other times I apply by hand. If you are going to polish your new car you are going to need to get a Porter Cable, Ultimate Detailing Machine or Cyclo. I would recomend one of these before trying a rotary on you new car. Polishing your car by hand will yield very little results. Both Liquid Souveran and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant are very easy to apply by hard. Both are very easy on and off. I perfer using a foam applicator when applying wax or sealant by hand. Don't forget to post pictures of your detail.

gary26
06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Just watched the Pinnacle complete how to video. My god I can't believe how long and how many times the guy polished a 2' x 2' part of the car until he cleared the hazing and so forth. All that polishing with no experience scares the hell out of me. I think for starters I'll use the Liquid Souvern and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant by hand and see what happens. My car is new and I did shine a double quartz lamp on the paint at night in the garage and didn't notice any swirls or defects. Dealership must have done one heck of a job for a $1,000.00 to the poor guy who paid it. The car bead when the car is wet is very impressive showing it has been protected. I think I might skip polishing due to not knowing what I'm doing and not wnating to mess up my new Cadillac SRX.

Thanks again Gary sword and Happy Fathers Day to All