PDA

View Full Version : Another "What is this Defect?" Thread

pro1200
09-23-2013, 05:39 AM
I noticed these defects on the hood of my '99 Grand Prix that seemed to appear suddenly. I know the condition of the paint isn't that great but these small scratches/cracks are only on the hood. The roof is also pictured as a reference-it doesn't have nearly as much damage.

pro1200
09-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach photos yet.

tuscarora dave
09-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Can't see the photos yet but I'd be willing to bet that some lacquer checking and or crow's feet are involved. Subscribed...

Evan.J
09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Can't see the photos yet but I'd be willing to bet that some lacquer checking and or crow's feet are involved. Subscribed...

+1 Just from the sound of it

Do it look like this?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40855-clearcoat-fracturing-versus-clearcoat-failure.html

Hi Mike,

How about this?

http://imgur.com/7KChn.jpg
*** Image taken from: Cracks in paint(crows feet)? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/150263-cracks-paint-crows-feet.html)

It seems like they are calling it crows feet. Now would you consider that clear coat fracture or clear coat failure?

Thanks.

tuscarora dave
09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
The above photo to me would be crow's feet. Clear coat fracturing as I seemed to have created the term here at AGO would be what's shown in the first photo of Mike's linked thread. Below that would be all out clear coat failure. While all three are technically failure they're all different.

pro1200
09-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Can you open the pics now?

Dr_Pain
09-23-2013, 09:36 AM
First pic... can't see anything wrong
Second pic... looks like a rock chip that took the clear off and the edge of the surrounding clear is lifting
Third pic... sorry to say... is clear coat failure (what was referred to as "crow's feet")

Evan.J
09-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Can you open the pics now?

Yep those are the start of CC failure

Paul Mitchell
09-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Looks like Dave nailed it without seeing the photos! Crows feet.

Detailing by M
09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
chicken feet, I don't like crows!

tuscarora dave
09-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Looks like Dave nailed it without seeing the photos! Crows feet.

Just figured as it appeared rather suddenly, been there a few times before you know.

People call crow's feet and lacquer checking "clear coat failure", but really...the damage (if you sand down through the layers) goes well into if not all the way through the primer. As such, it's completely different than clear coat failure.

pro1200
09-23-2013, 01:32 PM
First pic... can't see anything wrong
Second pic... looks like a rock chip that took the clear off and the edge of the surrounding clear is lifting
Third pic... sorry to say... is clear coat failure (what was referred to as "crow's feet")

The first picture is the roof which doesn't have the kind of damage I see on the hood. The second picture is a paint "blob" that I applied many years ago to cover a rock chip. This was before I learned how to properly touch up a chip. It sounds like paint failure but it is odd how quickly the blemishes showed up. This paint was just corrected last spring and it didn't look anything like this.

Dr_Pain
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
The first picture is the roof which doesn't have the kind of damage I see on the hood. The second picture is a paint "blob" that I applied many years ago to cover a rock chip. This was before I learned how to properly touch up a chip. It sounds like paint failure but it is odd how quickly the blemishes showed up. This paint was just corrected last spring and it didn't look anything like this.

As Dave pointed out, clear coat failure/paint failure does seem to appear out of the blue, although the damage has been underway long before.

A great variety of reasons apply (individually or combined) to the results you are seeing, including but not limited to exposure to the environment, factory work, quality of the factory product, prior detailing work etc....

I remember a thread in which Bob (FUNX725) was mentioning some fact relating to the migration of the clear coat UV protection towards to the outer edge as the clear coat was curing. There was some speculation that aggressive or regular compounding of factory clear would affect the UV protection of the underlying base coat. You can see that the cumulative effect of intense UV rays of a somewhat dark paint with minimal UV protection could lead to damage (over time). This may have been the case for you !?!