PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless wash newbie - Questions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

evo77
09-22-2013, 08:15 PM
So today was my first time ever using a RW. The guinea pig was the wifes van, lol. After reading a few threads on the locally available Turtle Wax RW I decided to try it out. I found it at my local Menards for $4.50 which is a fantastic bargain. After deciding which microfiber towels to use I decided again to go for the bargain and picked up a 24 pack of MF blue towels at Home Depot for $10. The Viking all purpose MF towels seemed to have too short of a nap so I decided against it and their $18 price for a 24 pk.

Using the Garry Dean method I found that these towels were on the light side and did not seem plush enough. Now I really don't want to over think this and get too caught up in the hundreds of different towels on the market but here are my questions...

1. What really matters for a RW towel?

2. Any recommendations for a "bang for the buck" towel that can come in a 24 pack?

3. Am I worrying for nothing regarding the towels I purchased?

Thanks.

CarolinaShine
09-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Have you considered using a wash mitt instead? I use a microfiber mitt or Griots big microfiber pad with good results. I know some use the towels, I tried it with some nice plush towels a few times and didn't really like it.

cleanmycorolla
09-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I use mftech 600gsm towels for my Rinseless washes.

evo77
09-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Have you considered using a wash mitt instead?

Yes, I have a MF chenille mitt but wanted to avoid having to go back to the 2-bucket method having to rinse it out after each pass, which is why I adapted the GD method -- to save time.

I'm still trying to get comfortable with the RW process and find a technique that feels good and allows me to wash the car quickly.

1953hogan
09-22-2013, 10:01 PM
I do rinseless all the time and also use the Garry Dean method (I prefer to just call it the multi-towel method). I like this method because I only have to fill one bucket and don't need a rinse bucket with grit guard. I use UWW+ as my rinseless wash of choice.

Depending on the the amount of dirt I sometimes use some super plush Cobra microfibers, but most of the time I find that these rolled edge towels work great!

Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges, microfiber buffing towels, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/green-rolled-edge-towels-3.html)

I don't know about 24 packs but at $10 for a 3-pack I think this is a very nice towel for the money.

Over time, I just built up my stock of microfibers. I rarely use any of my "cheap" ones anymore for anything other than glass cleaning or tire cleaning.

01GreyStangGT
09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
8 or 9 times out of 10 I do rinseless now. I have been using hen for about 3 years. My 2011 Mustang GTCS has only been traditional washed abut a half dozen times in 3 years.

Lexi65
09-22-2013, 10:34 PM
8 or 9 times out of 10 I do rinseless now. I have been using hen for about 3 years. My 2011 Mustang GTCS has only been traditional washed abut a half dozen times in 3 years.

To use this method safely, does it require doing it every few days? Feed back please

wdmaccord
09-22-2013, 11:22 PM
To use this method safely, does it require doing it every few days? Feed back please

No. I wash my car weekly. Typically 3 out of the 4 washes per month are RW. Unless it gets really dirty, then I will opt for a full 2BM sooner. Might add that I do spritz each panel with QD before I RW each panel. Just to lightly pre-soak it and get a little extra lubrication.

As for towels, I personally wouldn't use a towel less than 530 gsm for a GD style RW.

01GreyStangGT
09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
The Mustang doesn't get driven daily, so I wash it 2-3 times/ month.

stilltipping3
09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
So today was my first time ever using a RW. The guinea pig was the wifes van, lol. After reading a few threads on the locally available Turtle Wax RW I decided to try it out. I found it at my local Menards for $4.50 which is a fantastic bargain. After deciding which microfiber towels to use I decided again to go for the bargain and picked up a 24 pack of MF blue towels at Home Depot for $10. The Viking all purpose MF towels seemed to have too short of a nap so I decided against it and their $18 price for a 24 pk.

Using the Garry Dean method I found that these towels were on the light side and did not seem plush enough. Now I really don't want to over think this and get too caught up in the hundreds of different towels on the market but here are my questions...

1. What really matters for a RW towel?

2. Any recommendations for a "bang for the buck" towel that can come in a 24 pack?

3. Am I worrying for nothing regarding the towels I purchased?

Thanks.

If you use the Garry Dean Method then you should use his INFINITE USE DETAIL JUICE and some of his towels. You are taking only part of his advice and why are you choosing which part to take? Know what I mean.

Disconnected
09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
If you use the Garry Dean Method then you should use his INFINITE USE DETAIL JUICE and some of his towels. You are taking only part of his advice and why are you choosing which part to take? Know what I mean.

Because ONR and WW+ are cheaper. BTW, his shop is 10 min. from me. Plus GD deleted my comments on his youtube videos.

umi000
09-23-2013, 11:59 PM
There are some nice 600 gsm Eurow shag-weave 10-pack towels on the site that shares a name with a river in South America. A bit smaller than usual (12x16 rather than 16x16), but they work really well for rinseless washes, and are reasonably inexpensive.

evo77
09-24-2013, 08:31 AM
There are some nice 600 gsm Eurow shag-weave 10-pack towels on the site that shares a name with a river in South America. A bit smaller than usual (12x16 rather than 16x16), but they work really well for rinseless washes, and are reasonably inexpensive.

Which site?

evo77
09-24-2013, 10:01 PM
What's the consensus on these towels? A 36 pack is $25 and they are 360 gsm.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81AJBbPmI1L._SL1500_.jpg

cleanmycorolla
09-24-2013, 11:00 PM
^^those towels are good for everything but paint! I'd never touch my paint with them. Invest in quality towels. It's worth it.