PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding clear coat failure

iMuf
09-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Hey everyone, so I had a question. My brother recently got a 96' chevy camaro rs and it has some oxidation and the clear coat has peeled in a couple places. About like what you would expect from a car that is that old that hasn't had an owner that didn't care for it. Not to say it's in bad shape, it runs great and really is in pretty good condition. But this person either didn't take the take the time to care for the paint or have the time to take care of it. Anyway with the oxidation as well as just the overall fogginess in the paint, could you wet sand that and get rid of it for the most part? Here is a picture of the roof, which is probably the worst part. It has some spots on the wing as well, but it all pretty much looks like this

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a619/Kyle_Pelton/261_zpseb6fccc6.jpg

I just want to do what I can to get my brothers car looking good, so whatever you guys think would work best let me know. I did hit it with a microfiber cutting pad a bit and it looks like it did help. But I think it would take forever to get it a lot better if it will even come out a lot better. So if wet sanding is a faster option then I will try that.

rmagnus
09-22-2013, 02:57 PM
The only true fix is a respray. Repaint ing the troubled areas is th best fix.

Problem with failed clear is its too thin already to protect the paint. The UV inhibitors are gone. Polishing or sanding just removes it faster. It does get rid of the really nasty stuff and can improve the paper acne but it won't last.

Respraying clear over damaged paint doesn't usually work but for the cost of a opulent CBS of rattle can 2K clear give it a shot.

My experience with this is you'll repaint it in the long run.

iMuf
09-22-2013, 03:15 PM
That's what I figured, We may just sand it down and respray it with rattle cans and then wet sand, compound and polish and see how that turns out. At least at that point the paint will be protected. It's his first car, so by no means will it ever be perfect. But maybe we can get it looking better.

Rsurfer
09-22-2013, 05:16 PM
That's what I figured, We may just sand it down and respray it with rattle cans and then wet sand, compound and polish and see how that turns out. At least at that point the paint will be protected. It's his first car, so by no means will it ever be perfect. But maybe we can get it looking better.

You are going to wet sand the base color coat?

iMuf
09-22-2013, 05:35 PM
You are going to wet sand the base color coat?

No, I may try to just wet sand the clear coat that is on there until I get done to the Color coat and then respray it with clear and then wet sand any orange peel off and then compound and polish. Were just thinking about what we can do. It's only his first car so it's not a big deal. We just want it to look a little better then it does now. We are also thinking about plasti dipping the car. We aren't really sure yet. Just spit balling ideas.

rmagnus
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM
You don't really need to wet sand the clear. Just DA sand the damaged paint(base or clear). As long as the paint is sound you do not need to take it down to the bare metal. Once it's scuffed shoot some color then clear. Make sure the bad Elaine is comparable with the clear you'll be using. I recommend a 2k clear.

Rattle cans can do a good job but it's easier with a spray gun. Decent spray guns have come down in price and that's the best way to go.

Research painting on YouTube and you'll get all the info you need. Just know its all in the prep. Really spend your time there.

E-WAY
09-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Just sanded it down and respray with rattle cans. Get the matching paint code. I would use a spray gun for clear coat. :props:

VAS
10-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Have it resprayed, and then do your wetsand and buff and lock it in with a product like cquartz.

Alansr
10-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Here are some pix I did for my sons girlfriend. Her car has some pretty bad cc failure2200722008
After
You can still see the cc failure but it made the car look a lot nicer.

I used a wool pad on a rotery buffer with Meg's heavy cut to get the peeling parts off. Then I used a cutting pad with Meg's cleaner wax to bring a little shine out of it.
You won't get perfect but you can get better.

Alansr
10-10-2013, 07:50 PM
From your picture I would start with Meg's glaze and a rotary buffer to clear off any parts that are peeling. The glaze has a lot of oil that will bring a little shine out of the base coat