PDA

View Full Version : Weird residue/gunk left by Nanoskin towel.

Pages : [1] 2

tnecniv
09-21-2013, 07:14 PM
This morning I did an ONR wash on my car and then clayed with the fine grade Nanoskin. I pretty much did my whole car and then when I got to my trunk lid some weird residue appeared on the edge of the lid.

While I was claying the lid I saw a weird stain and put a little pressure on it with the towel to try and get it out. It wouldn't come out and then suddenly this weird residue appeared. It seems like kind of sticky adhesive, except its not sticky to the touch.

I tried going at it with my finger nail and all I could do to it was spread it around. Only a TINY spec got stuck to my finger nail(that I can't remove). I tried going over at it with the Nanoskin and it still didn't come out.

Any idea what this is? The only thing I think it could have came from was the Nanoskin towel but there shouldn't have been any debris from the previous panels that I clayed..

VP Mark
09-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Did you break in the sponge according to instructions? I've seen this before in towels that have a 'tear' in them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

ken tuep
09-21-2013, 08:46 PM
My towel did the same thing also. I threw it in the trash. I followed all break in instructions, and did the same as yours.

I ended up getting an auto scrubber pad. It doesn't have any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

tnecniv
09-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Did you break in the sponge according to instructions? I've seen this before in towels that have a 'tear' in them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Yeah I did, well I tried at least. Scrubbed the crap of my windshield with it but never really saw the "white residue" the instructions said would come out.

ken tuep
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Did you use onr? That may be the issue. I used it first time and tore it up. It softened the black rubbery part and started deteriorating.

tnecniv
09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Did you use onr? That may be the issue. I used it first time and tore it up. It softened the black rubbery part and started deteriorating.

Yeah I used ONR as a clay lube.

ken tuep
09-21-2013, 09:39 PM
That may be what the common factor is. Mine was junk after it started doing that.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2013, 09:59 PM

What??? You can't use ONR with clay substitutes?? This sounds like some sort of government conspiracy!

ken tuep
09-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Well, that's a common factor. Nanoskin said they wont warranty exchange unless you use their glide lube.

Hazcat
09-21-2013, 10:22 PM
There are lots of ways to get those marks off from a nanoskin towel. Just grab some fine polish and a MF towel and wipe the mark off. Don't throw out your nanoskin towel. Wash it off and try a different clay lube... or just dip it in your car wash solution. I've had good luck with Detailers clay lube.

Detailing by M
09-21-2013, 10:57 PM
These will leave these marks if you use them wrong. Use actual clay to get it off

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing ;)

tnecniv
09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Ahh, guess this gives me reason to try out the Glide stuff. I'll try actual clay to get it off if not, I'll see if Ultimate Compound will get it.

silverfox
09-22-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm in the minority but no clay substitute I've tried does as good a job as good old clay. I've never marred my paint nor have ever had any issues using clay. I've even used clay after using clay substitutes just to discover the clay removed contaminates the substitutes missed.

ken tuep
09-22-2013, 06:23 AM
I also have found this. The autoscrubber works better than all others. But can't get the tight areas, so I still clay them.

tuscarora dave
09-22-2013, 06:29 AM
This has happened to me several times with the Speedy Prep Towel and Ultima's clay substitute as well. Oderless mineral spirits takes it right off.