PDA

View Full Version : sealant and wax before paint correction?

Pages : [1] 2

Sigtastic
09-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, as I've said in a previous thread I plan on picking up a PC in a few months when I can get the warden off my butt about my weekly AG deliveries. Having that said I still want to protect my car. Am I ok to wash, clay, seal, and wax before I get the PC to get the swirls and small defects out of the paint? I wanted to do this next week and then polish out the swirls around Thanksgiving.

I understand that I'll be taking off the seal and wax when I polish the car, but I don't care about wasting product if it gives me a short term beauty. My car sits in an airport parking lot for days at a time and I want something protecting it while I'm gone and something a quick wash when I get home will bring the paint back to life.

Thanks in advance guys. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!!

CDot
09-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Since Thanksgiving is 2 months away; I'd say you're perfectly fine using a wax now and then polishing later. :xyxthumbs:

Sigtastic
09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Since Thanksgiving is 2 months away; I'd say you're perfectly fine using a wax now and then polishing later. :xyxthumbs:

I was hoping so. I see you're in NC. I'm in Winston

Calendyr
09-21-2013, 03:02 PM
If you are gonna do this, I would suggest you use a glaze to hide the defects then wax. I would skip the sealant since it's harder to remove once you decide to polish. At this time of year a wax coat will very likelly last you the 2 months you are gonna wait before doing the correction.

Sigtastic
09-21-2013, 03:12 PM
If you are gonna do this, I would suggest you use a glaze to hide the defects then wax. I would skip the sealant since it's harder to remove once you decide to polish. At this time of year a wax coat will very likelly last you the 2 months you are gonna wait before doing the correction.

I never thought of that! Thanks for the advice!

CDot
09-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I was hoping so. I see you're in NC. I'm in Winston

Yep, I'm in Charlotte!

FUNX650
09-21-2013, 04:24 PM
IMHO:
A vehicle's paint, (as well as some of its other surfaces), should always have a film-layer of protection on them!!
As such: Your vehicle should not be the exception.

:)

Bob

Sigtastic
09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Before I do any of this I'm taking the car to Honda tomorrow to see what they'll do about the swirls. Apparently they put on a cheap glaze after they wash it at the dealership and I've uncovered some swirls that shouldn't be on a 3 week old car. I know Honda paint is soft, but I also know I haven't swirled the car either. I use a wookies fist and 3 chinelles with a two bucket wash after a solid foaming.

Has anyone else had this from a dealer and did they fix it? I know I can polish these out, but I'd rather then fix the defects so I can seal it up and wax it and save some money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Paul Mitchell
09-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Before I knew much about detailing I took a black non-metallic Toyota back to the dealer after the swirls were revealed and all they did was hit it with a rotary and a glaze and cover them up again. You would have to give their detail department specific instructions on what you want done. Do they even have a D/A at the dealership?

Sigtastic
09-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Paul, I'm not sure what they have, but will find out in the morning. I'll be sure to post updates. It is sunny out here and every time I go outside the swirls are laughing at me. Very annoying. I don't know how much confidence I have though, it looks like they washed the car with paper towels.

jartx
09-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Before I do any of this I'm taking the car to Honda tomorrow to see what they'll do about the swirls. Apparently they put on a cheap glaze after they wash it at the dealership and I've uncovered some swirls that shouldn't be on a 3 week old car. I know Honda paint is soft, but I also know I haven't swirled the car either. I use a wookies fist and 3 chinelles with a two bucket wash after a solid foaming.

Has anyone else had this from a dealer and did they fix it? I know I can polish these out, but I'd rather then fix the defects so I can seal it up and wax it and save some money.

I think this is probably the norm, not the exception, unless the car just arrived and they haven't had a chance to do the "dealership installed swirls". I just got my Honda a month ago and after my first wash and clay, I saw a few too, plus a few scratches on the hood and trunk. I went ahead and finished the detail I had planned on (hand polished and sealed with Blackfire products), but have since bought a GG DA and will start from scratch once it gets a little cooler (still too hot here in south Texas). After seeing how soft this paint is, I'm leaning toward Opt-Coating it for maximum protection.

Sigtastic
09-22-2013, 02:18 PM
As soft as this paint is, how many times can we take a DA to it before it starts doing more harm than good, assuming the use of polishing pads and nothing too abbrasive? Sealant and wax will help protect against swirls right?

Calendyr
09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Maybe you should read Mike's paper on dealer installed swirl options

Sigtastic
09-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Maybe you should read Mike's paper on dealer installed swirl options

Where can I find this?

sharpreflection
09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't take it to the dealership at all. Just wait for the PC and do it right the first time